PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Interview with Pierre Paganini (Federer's trainer)

JennyS
10-27-2009, 03:09 PM
http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/10/27/pierre-paganini-on-roger-federer-as-long-as-he-plays-he-will-be-strong/

OddJack
10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Paganini: Last year, he lacked always two or three percent. Glandular fever is a really hard thing. And then the back pain came in the fall, that did not help either. I would say that from 2009 he was again his old self. But it was sensational, the way he fought through everything in 2008, even though he was limited. That limitation makes a big difference at this high level, and challenged him mentally to the extreme. 2008 was from the mental side one of his best years

What we see is only tears, but behind the scenes lots of stuff going on that we don't know about or dont make the connections with it accordingly.

Thanks for posting, interesting read.

Tour90
10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks. That was a great read.

roundiesee
10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
In a way, Federer is lucky he is such a good player. He can just concentrate on his physical conditioning and knows that on any given day, unless he plays terribly (which is not often), his skills will carry him through any tournament. I think the part about "experience" is very important at this stage of his career, much like how Jimmy used his immense experience to win matches for him when he was in his late thirties.

mandy01
10-28-2009, 02:20 AM
People were speculating that Roger pulled out of Tokyo and Shanghai only due to fatigue.Well,there goes the theory down the drains.
Good to know that he was actually in Dubai completing his training block which he missed after Wimbledon.
According to Paganini it could be useful for next year as well.
So he's basically taken rest,trained in Dubai and trained for Basel in this six week gap.
And now he has enough time to prepare in the off-season as Pierre himself said.
Smart......

boojay
10-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Great article! Thanks for sharing.

kOaMaster
10-28-2009, 03:32 AM
http://bazonline.ch/sport/tennis/Der-Mensch-Federer-hat-den-Spieler-Federer-im-Griff/story/12454726

here's the original interview for those who are interested

lawrence
10-28-2009, 04:07 AM
Paganini: Last year, he lacked always two or three percent. Glandular fever is a really hard thing. And then the back pain came in the fall, that did not help either. I would say that from 2009 he was again his old self. But it was sensational, the way he fought through everything in 2008, even though he was limited. That limitation makes a big difference at this high level, and challenged him mentally to the extreme. 2008 was from the mental side one of his best years

What we see is only tears, but behind the scenes lots of stuff going on that we don't know about or dont make the connections with it accordingly.

Thanks for posting, interesting read.

Yep, but the anti-Fedwagon will still dismiss mono. It'll never be believed until Sampras and Nadal make an announcement on live television; "It's true, Federer had mono!"

David L
10-28-2009, 04:29 AM
People were speculating that Roger pulled out of Tokyo and Shanghai only due to fatigue.Well,there goes the theory down the drains.
Good to know that he was actually in Dubai completing his training block which he missed after Wimbledon.
According to Paganini it could be useful for next year as well.
So he's basically taken rest,trained in Dubai and trained for Basel in this six week gap.
And now he has enough time to prepare in the off-season as Pierre himself said.
Smart......
It doesn't say he missed any training after Wimbledon.

mandy01
10-28-2009, 06:05 AM
It doesn't say he missed any training after Wimbledon.
Yes,but I believe he trains in Dubai after Wimbledon every year.So he might've trained this time to either make up for it or to help him in his preparations for next year.

David L
10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes,but I believe he trains in Dubai after Wimbledon every year.So he might've trained this time to either make up for it or to help him in his preparations for next year.
You can train anywhere. It doesn't have to be in Dubai. He said previously that he trained quite a bit after his Wimbledon rest, practically every day leading up to and after the birth of his children.

NGM
10-28-2009, 11:26 AM
You can train anywhere. It doesn't have to be in Dubai. He said previously that he trained quite a bit after his Wimbledon rest, practically every day leading up to and after the birth of his children.

I heard that Dubai's weather is extremely hot and training there helps his fitness pretty much.

David L
10-28-2009, 12:42 PM
I heard that Dubai's weather is extremely hot and training there helps his fitness pretty much.
He likes to train in Dubai, but it obviously wasn't practical to do that this year after Wimbledon because of Mirka's pregnancy. He didn't miss out on any training though, he just did it in Switzerland.

petetheileet
10-28-2009, 04:44 PM
brilliant read!!

JennyS
10-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Yep, but the anti-Fedwagon will still dismiss mono. It'll never be believed until Sampras and Nadal make an announcement on live television; "It's true, Federer had mono!"

I think Federer needs a doctor's note. Not from his doctor: Nadal's AND Sampras' doctors!

bolo
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Nice find. Good post.

IvanAndreevich
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Very interesting interview.

What sports would he otherwise have been destined to?
Paganini: He would be a great football player, sprinter, thrower – not exactly shot put, but a good javelin thrower. He would be a good volleyball player and a good skier.
Ah, I've always thought Fed would be a great vball player as well. Probably doubles on the beach.