PDA

View Full Version : RAFA NADAL needs a new coach?

PRINCE DARWIN
10-27-2009, 05:00 PM
I can't help but think that although Uncle Tony has done so much to get him to #1 and win six grand slams, he may need someone else to get him into the history books alongside Federer and Sampras. All too often in tennis, more so than any other major professional sport, the subject of coaching can be handled in an unprofessional manner. I think of the following examples:

William Sisters - both have underperformed in terms of potential record book status and I think much have to do with Mr. Williams and Ms. Williams still acting as "coach."

Andy Roddick - What was his record, again, when his brother was coaching him?

Monica Seles - May he rest in peace, but her father couldn't adequately prepare her in evolving her game; and of course Lars Graf, Steffi Graf et. al. had her stabbed.

Martina Hingis - Melanie Molitor could not help her daughter evolve her game to match up with "Big Babe Tennis."

I am sure there are others, please feel free to fill in the blanks ...

But every since I started following the game as a junior, I have witness three players (one female, two males) cement themselves in the record books and into the conversation of GOAT: Steffi Graf, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer. And what is consistent about all three is that, at least the perception being that, each one exhibited the utmost professionalism with respect to how their business affairs were handled ... coaching, training, health, fitness, scheduling, etc. Of course, Roger has been without a coach for the majority of his career, but everything else is nice and tidy.

If RAFA NADAL wants to align himself with the great champions of the game, I question if a new coach is not in order; one that will help him continue to evolve, help him schedule his tournaments and exhibitions, help him with his target weight/fitness. My utmost regard for Uncle Tony for what he's helped RAFA accomplish to date, but I fear that RAFA may dwindle away within the next 1 - 3 years.

PRINCE DARWIN

Cantankersore
10-27-2009, 06:04 PM
...and of course Lars Graf, Steffi Graf et. al. had her stabbed.

Lol, thanks for trolling, please come again.

Mick
10-27-2009, 06:09 PM
he needs new knees more than a new coach.

Vyse
10-27-2009, 06:14 PM
mmm idk, maybe someone along with Toni so they team together