PDA

View Full Version : Agassi a meth head...so much for ATP drug tests!..

Inner Game
10-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Does this really surprise anyone? Agassi was a punk when he was younger and this "news" further cements that he's not some grand old player who's giving back to tennis and education.
It makes me sick to see the tennis channel promos for how nice and thoughtful Agassi is at this time in his life driving his schools bus....blah!

A leopard can't change his spots!

So much for ATP drug testing....if they can't get Agassi for Meth....then how can they ever catch the Roid boys of today.....I guess the injuries they are now suffering at such a young age is all about Karma!

There's too much money in tennis now.......hence do anything you can to win....

I'm out

Kemitak
10-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Where did you read this?

Kemitak
10-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Nope. Found it.

Power Player
10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Woah..even though he admits to this it does not mean you can take away what he is doing now. That's crazy to say that. The guy could have never said anything about it. If he was "meth head" it would have shown on him. His best playing was later in his career, so obviously the drug did not aid his game.

Toxicmilk
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Does this really surprise anyone? Agassi was a punk when he was younger and this "news" further cements that he's not some grand old player who's giving back to tennis and education.
It makes me sick to see the tennis channel promos for how nice and thoughtful Agassi is at this time in his life driving his schools bus....blah!

because having done meth (and not get addicted) totally makes you a bad person, right?

federer_FREAK
10-27-2009, 07:02 PM

Lmao a player doing crystal meth in 1997 during a time where he barely played any matches means the ATP is allowing players to do anything to win?

Kemitak
10-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Inner Game's world,
falling to pieces.
Good stuff!

cncretecwbo
10-27-2009, 07:06 PM

So much for ATP drug testing....if they can't get Agassi for Meth....then how can they ever catch the Roid boys of today.....I guess the injuries they are now suffering at such a young age is all about Karma!

I'm out

roid boys? who would that be? I dont see anyone on tour that looks more muscular than even a college football player at the very most.

raiden031
10-27-2009, 07:18 PM
and this "news" further cements that he's not some grand old player who's giving back to tennis and education.

So trying meth 12 years ago voids all of Agassi's good deeds with his foundation?

sheets
10-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Sounds like someone is trying to create a base for a Nadal-is-a-doping-cheater argument. Remember different drug policies now. Baseball used to have massive doping problems. Still does but less so.

coloskier
10-27-2009, 08:19 PM
He admitted it, and at that time he was ranked 141, which means there was nothing to take away from him anyway.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM
At least he did admit to using it, what was Martina Hingis excuse for the coke incident? :lol:

It is what it is, and you heard it from him and not any useless rumor.

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
i read an agassi biography called 'the agassi and the ecstasy' and the author said he visited agassi just before he turned pro and agassi had one of those massive long nails (with red nail polish) on one of his fingers that tend to be used for drug use, so im not surprised by what agassi is admitting to

Datacipher
10-27-2009, 08:45 PM
i read an agassi biography called 'the agassi and the ecstasy' and the author said he visited agassi just before he turned pro and agassi had one of those massive long nails (with red nail polish) on one of his fingers that tend to be used for drug use, so im not surprised by what agassi is admitting to

Agassi had that long fingernail for a brief time around the end of 1989. MANY years before this incident was said to have happened. EVERYONE knew about the fingernail, he played a tennis tournament with it clearly visible.

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Agassi had that long fingernail for a brief time around the end of 1989. MANY years before this incident was said to have happened. EVERYONE knew about the fingernail, he played a tennis tournament with it clearly visible.

sounds cool

PCXL-Fan
10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Sounds like someone is trying to create a base for a Nadal-is-a-doping-cheater argument. Remember different drug policies now. Baseball used to have massive doping problems. Still does but less so.

Baseball is still riddled a mountain of drug problems.

Baseball has an amphetamine doping problem as well. Because stimulants such as amphetamine enhance reaction time. Perfect for batters. Quite a similar meth (methamphetamine).

But amphetamine was banned in 2006. So the players switched to Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) medication in order to obtain amphetamine and other amphetamine like drugs used to treat adhd, because they enhance reaction time too.

In order to obtain Attention Deficit disorder medication, they either obtain it illegally via under the table methods or legally obtain a prescription to treat this disorder that they "apparently" suffer from.

Now roughly 7.6% of baseball players claim to suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder and legally obtain prescription for ADD meds. The highest in any occupation in the world.

This is a jump from ~1% ritalin use prior to the ban of amphetamine.

Undoubtedly rates of ritalin use are higher, as ritalin is so easily obtained for use on campus's across northamerica by minimum wage earning students. Also continued use of amphetamines can lead to dependence, and symptoms of amphetamine dependence is almost indistinguishable from adhd.

Baseball's Other Drug Problem - Newsweek (http://www.newsweek.com/id/108730)

Ritalin on first, Dexedrine on second... - Psychology Today (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mood-swings/200901/ritalin-first-dexedrine-second)

wyutani
10-27-2009, 09:34 PM
do u have proof here?

Leelord337
10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
vitas gerulaitis and john mcenroe used to do cocaine, i am not sure about agassi doing meth but i know he used to stack jack daniels bottles in his room at bollettieri's

btw i'm proud of agassi admitting his faults. He is human afterall. Its either admit it to the public or take it to the grave with him...i've gained more respect for andre and this makes me want to buy hit autobiography

*comes out 11-9-09*

wyutani
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
but hes retired. who cares?

best thing now is for the atp to take back all his grand slam prize money. that will show him.

he should be punished.

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
wouldnt they just strip him of anything he won for the 3 month period in 1997? he would have got a 3 month suspension for it (recreational drug ban) if he owned up to it back then

Agassi learns that he has failed a drugs test. “He reminds me that tennis has three classes of drug violation,” Agassi writes. “Performance-enhancing drugs ... would constitute a Class 1, he says, which would carry a suspension of two years. However, he adds, crystal meth would seem to be a clear case of Class 2. Recreational drugs.” That would mean a three-month suspension.

PCXL-Fan
10-27-2009, 09:52 PM
In theory meth can provide a temporary performance enhancement along with all its horribly damaging effects. Such as faster reaction time. Germany and Japan both used meth containing drugs during ww2 on their troops, before discontinuing it later in the war as they discovered it was ruining troops minds. Initially germany's meth containing drug (Pervitin) was a key element of the Blitzkreig tactics.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,354606,00.html

Bjorkman & Johnny Mac
10-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Its just a recreational drug and he was at the bottom of his career. Its not like it was a performance Nadal enhancer.

jamesblakefan#1
10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
wouldnt they just strip him of anything he won for the 3 month period in 1997? he would have got a 3 month suspension for it (recreational drug ban) if he owned up to it back then

Agassi knew a suspension for drug use, especially one as bad as meth, would probably do serious damage to his rep. He didn't want to take that chance.

bertrevert
10-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Good on him. I'm glad he experimented... his soul exudes joy and warmth. He's lived life. His charitable work amplifies his legacy. His drug taking make him all the more human.

At that moment, slumping in his career, it is understandable that he reached out for other highs. His climb back is made all the more remarkable. Get off your high horse those who wish to criticise him.

don_nguyen11490
10-27-2009, 11:36 PM
This is an outrage. We must crucify him immediately.

Let us ignore all the good things he is doing because that clearly does not matter

Morrissey
10-28-2009, 12:30 AM
You guys really needed something to talk about these days huh. I guess it takes away from the daily Fed worshipping and Nadal bashing.

Gorecki
10-28-2009, 01:43 AM

I'm out

it puzzles me how can someone stand on such a high horse! carefull yuo might fall!

News Flash Jerk: you get what you give... so yes... it's about Karma. IF Agassi is beloved worldwide, it must be Karma kicking it back to him, that "meth head" no?

in your medieval mind he must be a sourcerer, therefore he should be fried in hot oil, not before testing if he can or not float...

Baikalic
10-28-2009, 01:50 AM
it puzzles me how can someone stand on such a high horse! carefull yuo might fall!

News Flash Jerk: you get what you give... so yes... it's about Karma. IF Agassi is beloved worldwide, it must be Karma kicking it back to him, that "meth head" no?

in your medieval mind he must be a sourcerer, therefore he should be fried in hot oil, not before testing if he can or not float...

Don't waste your time dude, the OP is always "im out" because he can't support his claims.

big bang
10-28-2009, 01:56 AM
so F..... what??? a lot of ppl took some kind of drugs in their youth, does that make them worse as a person? not at all.
its not like he did meth before every match in his prime.
who are you to judge anyone for trying meth, what counts in life is how you act and treat other ppl.. Jerk!!

Gorecki
10-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Don't waste your time dude, the OP is always "im out" because he can't support his claims.

guess you are right. cowardly making trollish statements and not staying to back it up should give him a few weeks off if i was a MOD.

sureshs
10-28-2009, 05:29 AM
If you read the news properly, you would have learned that the ATP caught him by testing.

pmerk34
10-28-2009, 05:36 AM

I'm out

What are you babbling about- he FAILED an ATP drug test.

Rabbit
10-28-2009, 05:37 AM
If you read the news properly, you would have learned that the ATP caught him by testing.

And if you had read the article properly, you'd have read that the ATP didn't disclose anything....a double standard exists for the top players and those not on top like Puerta, Canas, and the recent cocaine user....

pmerk34
10-28-2009, 05:49 AM
And if you had read the article properly, you'd have read that the ATP didn't disclose anything....a double standard exists for the top players and those not on top like Puerta, Canas, and the recent cocaine user....

And the juicer Nadal

the green god
10-28-2009, 06:14 AM
You guys understand nothing about PED's. You do not have to huge to be using. They are used for recovery, stamina, and strength. Their goal isn't to get huge, it is to become a better athlete. To get huge they would have to lift some serious heavy weights and eat a ton of food and that is not going to make them better tennis players. But golly gee whiz, none of our heroes would do that now would they.;)

pug
10-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Good on him. I'm glad he experimented... his soul exudes joy and warmth. He's lived life. His charitable work amplifies his legacy. His drug taking make him all the more human.

At that moment, slumping in his career, it is understandable that he reached out for other highs. His climb back is made all the more remarkable. Get off your high horse those who wish to criticise him.

+1 and a top candidate for best post ever.

dropshot winner
10-28-2009, 07:14 AM
No big deal that Agassi took speed.

The shocking part is how the ATP bought Agassi's lie. It makes me wonder how many top players have been covered in the last few years.

Every player could possibily say after failing a drug-test:

"I didn't take Cera/Insulin/Roids knowingly, I just happened to drink a spiked Soda".

jwbarrientos
10-28-2009, 07:17 AM
He should return some prize? money? aplogy will be welcome to ATP Tours, players with many issues got banned for 2 years.

Andre still has my big consideration, but he missconduct talks a lot.

Stefan83
10-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Big disappointment and I lost some respect for Agassi, just because he was stressed does not make it ok. :-|

ronjohn
10-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Disagree on pretty much every point. Many people experiement with drugs, pro athelete or not... The ATP has tougher standards than most sports.

Agassi has been a good guy throughout his career.

I'm out

sureshs
10-28-2009, 08:18 AM

This was 12 years ago. Times have changed. You need to move on.

dropshot winner
10-28-2009, 08:22 AM
This was 12 years ago. Times have changed. You need to move on.

No, only the substances have.

sureshs
10-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Federer's endurance always looked suspicious to me

dropshot winner
10-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Federer's endurance always looked suspicious to me

It is remarkable, but what would you call Nadal's then, who has been able to outlast Federer multiple times?

sureshs
10-28-2009, 08:30 AM
It is remarkable, but what would you call Nadal's then, who has been able to outlast Federer multiple times?

I was just kidding. None of these guys are doping.

NamRanger
10-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Disagree on pretty much every point. Many people experiement with drugs, pro athelete or not... The ATP has tougher standards than most sports.

Agassi has been a good guy throughout his career.

The ATP does not have tougher standards. The fact that they swept this, Gasquet's case, and the steroid anomalies during the 90s under the rug only reinforces the suspicion that the ATP could easily be covering another top player up right now.

dropshot winner
10-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I was just kidding. None of these guys are doping.

Maybe those two don't need to, but you can bet on the fact that a few players in the top10 are not clean.

It's not difficult to get away with it, nor is it hard to get those substances, the benefits are well known too.

NamRanger
10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
One thing for sure, this incident proves that there is a PRECEDENCE now that has been discovered that shows the ATP covers up a player due to his marquee name.

BHud
10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
That explains Brooke!

tintin
10-28-2009, 08:56 AM
no wonder Santoro said Roger Federer is the only recent world #1 who he believed was clean

jrepac
10-28-2009, 09:47 AM
In the news today, they said he failed a drug test and told the ATP he "drank it in a soda" and they let him off the hook....does that make any sense? Did the ATP back away because of who he was? and yet, they've crucified Hingis and gone after Gasquet as well....

i don't care what they do on their own time, really

as long as they are not taking perfomance enhancing drugs, why should anyone really care...

sureshs
10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
In the news today, they said he failed a drug test and told the ATP he "drank it in a soda" and they let him off the hook....does that make any sense? Did the ATP back away because of who he was? and yet, they've crucified Hingis and gone after Gasquet as well....

i don't care what they do on their own time, really

as long as they are not taking perfomance enhancing drugs, why should anyone really care...

At that time, punishment was suspension only for 3 months, not 2 years like today. So it wasn't such big of a deal.

Eviscerator
10-28-2009, 10:47 AM
because having done meth (and not get addicted) totally makes you a bad person, right?

It shows less charterer than had he not done it, that is certain. Additionally I hear he admitted to roids, but I have yet to read it myself. Assuming that is also true, he definitely should be less respected than he was up until the revelation.

Cyan
10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
What will chino rios say now? After all he accused Agassi of doping yrs. ago....

hifi heretic
10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
One thing for sure, this incident proves that there is a PRECEDENCE now that has been discovered that shows the ATP covers up a player due to his marquee name.

No it doesn't. ..For this to be true we'd have to know how other failed drug tests were handled back in '97. That was 13 years ago - long before the steroid mess in baseball more or less forced other sports to adopt a zero-tolerance policy for banned substance abuse. ..If you can provide evidence of a lesser player in '97 being punished on similar evidence then I would agree with you. ..Otherwise, no.

Eviscerator
10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
On the subject of testing, remember Korda? The guy was as thin as a twig, yet he was banned for steroids.
It certainly makes you wonder how the ATP would handle a positive test for either Nadal or Federer today.

Fr4Nc0
10-28-2009, 11:36 AM
old news
10char

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
10-28-2009, 12:24 PM
You guys really needed something to talk about these days huh. I guess it takes away from the daily Fed worshipping and Nadal bashing.

I thought the same thing and the off season isn't even here. Slow times...

Mick
10-28-2009, 12:26 PM
back then, agassi was a tennis rock star and rock stars use drugs :)

kishnabe
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
but hes retired. who cares?

best thing now is for the atp to take back all his grand slam prize money. that will show him.

he should be punished.

He would still have endorsements from before and his wife's money. It will be pointless.

NamRanger
10-28-2009, 01:08 PM
No it doesn't. ..For this to be true we'd have to know how other failed drug tests were handled back in '97. That was 13 years ago - long before the steroid mess in baseball more or less forced other sports to adopt a zero-tolerance policy for banned substance abuse. ..If you can provide evidence of a lesser player in '97 being punished on similar evidence then I would agree with you. ..Otherwise, no.

Yes it does. Agassi was given a pardon basically because of who he was. I bet you someone like Santoro would never get away with using Meth, not even back then.

And there is evidence that the ATP sweeps things under the rug. Remember Rusedski who tested positive for steroids (among 20+ other players for abnormally high levels of testosterone), yet the ATP just doesn't make a big deal about it and dismisses all of it.

The ATP also has very weak drug testing policies. This story about Agassi only reinforces the idea that the ITF has terrible testing policies, and that they will favor marquee players.

Haasquet
10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm out

Well, this is certainly good news. Don't let the door hit you on the way...

hifi heretic
10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes it does. Agassi was given a pardon basically because of who he was. I bet you someone like Santoro would never get away with using Meth, not even back then.

Did you read my post?? ..Comparing what happened THEN to what you PRESUME would happen now is meaningless! Cite an example of a lesser player who was treated more harshly than Andre back in '97 in a similar circumstance or give up on claiming he received preferential treatment. I'm not disputing that the testing was inadequate. I'm disputing your flimsy claim that Andre was a protected star.

NamRanger
10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Did you read my post?? ..Comparing what happened THEN to what you PRESUME would happen now is meaningless! Cite an example of a lesser player who was treated more harshly than Andre back in '97 in a similar circumstance or give up on claiming he received preferential treatment. I'm not disputing that the testing was inadequate. I'm disputing your flimsy claim that Andre was a protected star.

Disputing that Andre was a protected star? Ok. Under the assumption that Agassi indeed tested positive, and that he is telling the truth, why is it Andre Agassi, who at the time was WILDLY popular, didn't get crucified, yet guys like Korda (who is nowhere near popular as Agassi) gets suspended? Shouldn't Korda get a free pass too?

There are plenty of protected stars. You sir, are just too blind to see it.

Murray Magic
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Disputing that Andre was a protected star? Ok. Under the assumption that Agassi indeed tested positive, and that he is telling the truth, why is it Andre Agassi, who at the time was WILDLY popular, didn't get crucified, yet guys like Korda (who is nowhere near popular as Agassi) gets suspended? Shouldn't Korda get a free pass too?

There are plenty of protected stars. You sir, are just too blind to see it.

Yes, you are indeed correct. Peter Fleming equally shares your views.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12602_5658027,00.html

Agassi helped the ATP earn millions, this matter had to be placed under the carpet.

Although for those of you who think Nadal is being protected, dream on. we are in the 2009 people, you can't get away with these things nowadays.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Agassi helped the ATP earn millions, this matter had to be placed under the carpet.

Although for those of you who think Nadal is being protected, dream on. we are in the 2009 people, you can't get away with these things nowadays.
Maximo good old friend, is that you? :)

bebots
10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't trust anyone who hasn't tried drugs at least twice.

NamRanger
10-28-2009, 07:15 PM

I disagree. If the ATP didn't catch Nadal until way later on into his career (say this year), then they would be caught in a conundrum. Either cover up Nadal's positive test(s), or release it and risk huge scrutiny on the sport.

TheTruth
10-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Funny, reading the excuses.

Conquistador
10-28-2009, 07:36 PM
No offense but Agassi used a downer. It only made his performance worse. Guys that use stimulants that boost performance are irrational and disrespectful of the game. They are the real cheaters. I dont have a problem with what agassi took. Its about whos trying to achieve more energy and performance that should be banned from the sport.

TheTruth
10-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Drugs are drugs. If it's wrong for one, it's wrong for all.

PCXL-Fan
10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
No offense but Agassi used a downer. It only made his performance worse. Guys that use stimulants that boost performance are irrational and disrespectful of the game. They are the real cheaters. I dont have a problem with what agassi took. Its about whos trying to achieve more energy and performance that should be banned from the sport.

Sorry, meth isn't a downer. Its a stimulant. Its basically speed. Eventually it damages the dopamine system to the point you seem like your on downers. But all stimulants can have that effect.

They used to give meth to german troops to give them more energy.

grafselesfan
10-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Well atleast it wasnt anything that actually could have helped his tennis in anyway. So I dont really consider it cheating, although it is still wrong.

Inner Game
10-28-2009, 09:14 PM
It's to bad Steffi married Agassi...you gotta feel sorry for her...I bet she had no idea what she was marrying into....

Nice role model you turned out to be Andre....I hope they took the keys away from you for the School Bus you drive in Las Vegas....

obsessedtennisfandisorder
10-28-2009, 09:16 PM
The ATP does not have tougher standards. The fact that they swept this, Gasquet's case, and the steroid anomalies during the 90s under the rug only reinforces the suspicion that the ATP could easily be covering another top player up right now.

Namranger I'm with your opinion but theses threads get so convoluted and confused....

First of all...about agassi....he was obviously taking meth as escapism...whatever it was...as long as it wasn't intended as performancing
enhancer against his fellow pros I have no issue with him. In fact my
respect for andre went up three fold recently after hearing this.

Now...about The ITF and ATP drug policicies....

total scandal going on here in my opinion....they still haven't named the
"famous 7" from 2004 that tested positive..(not rusedski..another case)
Listen to Jim courier about the fact the ATP don't even test properly for
performing enhancing drugs such as EPO etc....

and yeah...those people who have issues with recreational drugs need to get a life,
and stop confusing a very important thread about ATP testing procedures.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/20/sports/20iht-courier.t.html

CyBorg
10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
People have demons. I'm fine with that. Overcoming those demons shows strength of character. If I had the kind of father that Agassi did I'd probably be a mess too.