PDA

View Full Version : Maybe using 2 forehands is not a bad idea for volleying.

Golden Retriever
10-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Volleying is just a simple block so it requires very little skill, so the less skillful left hand can do the job fine. What volleying really needs is a wide wing span and using two forehands can expand your wing span a lot. You don't need grip change if you wait for the volley with 2hands in the forehand position.

I am gonna try that next time I am on court.

maverick66
10-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Your hands will get caught when switching. I had a coach and a friend who had two forehands of the baseline and they would get caught when the paced picked up i can only imagine it getting worse when you are at the net.

ChrisCrocker
10-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Your hands will get caught when switching. I had a coach and a friend who had two forehands of the baseline and they would get caught when the paced picked up i can only imagine it getting worse when you are at the net.

i thought this was obvious, and the backhand volley has quite the range if you turn your whole body and not dive where you would land on your stomach but dive while still falling on your feet.

BreakPoint
10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Volleying is just a simple block so it requires very little skill, so the less skillful left hand can do the job fine. What volleying really needs is a wide wing span and using two forehands can expand your wing span a lot. You don't need grip change if you wait for the volley with 2hands in the forehand position.

You don't need to change your grip on volleys anyway even if you only use one hand.

LeeD
10-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Why 2 threads on the same subject? Been covered, try it if you think it can work for you.
It worked for FrewMcMillian, GeneMayer, and JimmyConnors (early in his career up to #1).

Slazenger07
11-05-2009, 08:59 AM
very bad idea, idk what level of player you are but if youre playing 4.5 level tennis, particularly doubles, like me there's no way you could switch the racquet to the other hand fast enough to cover backhand volleys. There's a reason you dont see any pros doing this...

Bud
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Actually, proper and effective volleying requires a high level of skill and good technique.

When you're playing tennis at anything above the most basic level, you do not have time to switch hands when at net.

ttbrowne
11-05-2009, 01:19 PM
If you grow up hitting it, two hand backhand volleys can work fine. One of our pros hits his backhand volley with two hands and it's great. But he started early.

Bud
11-05-2009, 01:23 PM
If you grow up hitting it, two hand backhand volleys can work fine. One of our pros hits his backhand volley with two hands and it's great. But he started early.

A two-handed backhand volley is not the same as using two forehands to volley. The second requires releasing the dominant hand to hit with the BH side and then getting into the proper grip (not to mentioning sliding the non-dominant hand rearward toward the buttcap).

Much of the time I use a double-handed BH volley because I feel I get more control. However, when needed I can also volley with 1 hand on the BH side.

The only time I ever use a forehand on the left side (I'm right-handed) is when someone tries to hit a passing shot down the line and I can't reach it with the BH. It usually works really well in a tight situation.

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Golden,

Volleys do require skill and good eye-hand-foot coordination. If you are thinking of slow balls being hit to you, I might lean in your direction. However, to field rapid fire shots at you and be able to place each one working the point and the tactics you need to execute, that takes practice and improving skills.

The wide wing span is not necessary to be a good volleyer. A lot of volleyers use their feet to get into position rather than leaning out and extending their arms. Reading, anticipating, moving, and volleying is a skill. :)