PDA

View Full Version : Multi Strings

TennisPassion5
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't know what it is, but I'm speculating my multi(Gamma Revelation) has gone dead. I thought it was only polys that maintained this characteristic, but I don't know what's been happening. Some days the ball comes at my opponents like lasers, and the next, I can barely generate good pace. Any input? It seems like when the racket is idle for a week or so, it plays with no pop at all.

Yenster
10-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Yes, multis can go dead, some faster than others. If your racket has been idle for a while, the strings are likely to be dead and lost tension, especially if stored in a temperate area. My advice is to restring.

KenC
10-28-2009, 03:54 AM
Luckily multis break much faster than poly's! With the few multis I have tried in the last couple of months, I find that they play kinda' stiff for the first hour or so and then play well until they break. Bab XCel started to play odd a couple of hours before it broke. Maybe it went dead, and as soon as a multi dies it is more prone to break?

You could try TF X-One if you want a string that plays well throughout its life. If long periods without play are the norm, maybe use an inexpensive string like Maxim Touch or Gosen OGSM and restring before you play?

Audiophile
10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
OP, how long has the Revelation been in the frame?

TennisPassion5
10-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Well if the amount of time it's been in my racket matters, then close to 2 months.

Valjean
10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Gamma Revelation is an inferior string; it's brittle, and loses its playability fairly rapidly. This should not surprise anyone, given its price point and place within the spectrum of multis.

TennisPassion5
10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Gamma Revelation is an inferior string; it's brittle, and loses its playability fairly rapidly. This should not surprise anyone, given its price point and place within the spectrum of multis.

So then what would be a better alternate? Stressing control, but preferably a string ok on the arm.

High Roller
10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
So then what would be a better alternate? Stressing control, but preferably a string ok on the arm.

Maxim Touch fits your wish list perfectly.

Valjean
10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Babolat's Addiction, for one. Then there's Tecnifibre's Multifeel.

mikethehamster
10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
is maxim touch made in germany?

Meaghan
10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
what ive noticed is taht when multis have gone dead they go more elastic, they tend to lose control and i start to get less spin and hit long.

TennisPassion5
10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Maxim Touch fits your wish list perfectly.

How does it compare to Big Ace?

ryangoring
10-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Babolat's Addiction, for one. Then there's Tecnifibre's Multifeel.
Always a big fan favorite of mine too. Thanks Valjean for your insightful input.

acer4tennis
10-30-2009, 09:20 AM
is maxim touch made in germany?

There is no multi nor syn gut made in Germany for the last 5-7 years. Labels maybe, but not the strings.

ClubHoUno
10-30-2009, 09:09 PM
There is no multi nor syn gut made in Germany for the last 5-7 years. Labels maybe, but not the strings.

Yeahhh - Germany = New innovative CoPoly's and nothing else.

Not entirely correct though - the WeissCannon Explosiv is a new multi from Germany - maybe NOT made in Germanty, but certainly FROM Germany :p:mrgreen:

Richie Rich
10-31-2009, 08:19 AM
a really good multi right now is the Volkl Catapult on sale at tw for $4.95/set. great string for the price

GuitarCrazyo
10-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Multi-attach, thumbnails, and watermark should hopefully work now.

The thumbnails are being recreated in the ACP right now, so if there were any messed up ones, they should get fixed eventually.

High Roller
11-01-2009, 08:19 AM

Isospeed is still manufactured in Germany. They have several SG and multi strings.

High Roller
11-01-2009, 08:23 AM
a really good multi right now is the Volkl Catapult on sale at tw for $4.95/set. great string for the price

Co-sign. I stocked up while it is still available. The balance of comfort, power and control -- plus the 16L gauge makes this an ideal string for the semi-serious recreational player. Nothing but great reaction to this so far. A nice way to let people get a taste of high end multi at a SG price.

DavidGarcia
11-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Do I sound crazy when I say that I actually like Dunlop M-Fil tour 16g? I got an old reel and I have to say I am loving it so far. And this is coming from someone who's used pretty much every single multi out there.

old coach
11-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Isospeed is still manufactured in Germany. They have several SG and multi strings.

Just for your info, Isospeed Austria based company.
I think you are missing a point. It is not what the label says, it's where actually made.
I think Isospeed made in Austria as I spoke with their rep in USA and he assured me that their stuff made in Austria. BTW they make an excellent products.

Richie Rich
11-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Do I sound crazy when I say that I actually like Dunlop M-Fil tour 16g? I got an old reel and I have to say I am loving it so far. And this is coming from someone who's used pretty much every single multi out there.

no, it's not a bad multi either for the price.

BreakPoint
11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I've found that when it comes to strings, price is not a good indicator of performance.

For example, Wilson K-Gut is like the most expensive multi on the market at $22 a set, yet I found it to be much, much inferior to Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament which is one of the cheapest multis on the market at only $7.50 a set.

BTW, I found Gamma Revelation to be a pretty good string, not great, but good. I think it's better than either Yonex Tour Super 850 or Pro Supex Maxim Touch, and tons better than K-Gut.

BreakPoint
11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
RR,
Could you please elaborate on that? Why do you find the Volkl Catapult so good? What do you like (and dislike) about its characteristics? What other multis is it comparable to?
Thanks

morten
11-02-2009, 12:34 AM
i like Volkl too, could be more crisp, but a allround good multi..

big bang
11-02-2009, 12:53 AM
my favourite multi is wilson reaction, it doesnt last long but plays great.
no tension loss and great feel..

NewGuy
11-02-2009, 07:06 AM
RR,
Could you please elaborate on that? Why do you find the Volkl Catapult so good? What do you like (and dislike) about its characteristics? What other multis is it comparable to?
Thanks

I used NXT 16, then Maxim Touch, then Volkl Catapult and Prince Premier LT. The Premier LT is closest to NXT, I found the Maxim Touch and Catapult slightly less livelier. At less than $5, the Catapult wins hands down. :)

Richie Rich
11-02-2009, 08:44 AM
RR,
Thanks

FWIW i'm stringing it at 56 on an 18x20 frame. it's soft without feeling mushy, good feel, and decent durability for a multi. i don't like the coil memory - have to be careful of kinks when stringing without a prestretch. but for the price you can't go wrong. it's the best $5 multi i've hit with.

in comparison to something like wilson reaction or wilson nxt it's not as stiff. a little more power than reaction and not as much as nxt. those are the 2 multi's i have used most recently before the volkl.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-02-2009, 08:59 AM
WeissCannon Explosiv is extremely soft and powerful. I would use it if it offered some access to spin but found absolutely none.

Valjean
11-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I've found that when it comes to strings, price is not a good indicator of performance.

For example, Wilson K-Gut is like the most expensive multi on the market at $22 a set, yet I found it to be much, much inferior to Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament which is one of the cheapest multis on the market at only $7.50 a set.

BTW, I found Gamma Revelation to be a pretty good string, not great, but good. I think it's better than either Yonex Tour Super 850 or Pro Supex Maxim Touch, and tons better than K-Gut.
Actually, I have to disagree and say that I have found that, more often than not, a string's price *is* a good indicator of its quality. (And the major exceptions I can think of are all in the Gamma line, too!) For instance, Prince's SGM, which you esteem (and isn't even a true multi), has been found to suffer from higher tension loss than most multis, despite having a center core; pre-stretching is definitely adviseable with this one. And Wilson K-Gut may be somewhat over-priced, but if you do a board search I seriously doubt you would find that most in here would agree with your characterization of it as "much inferior to [PSGM]." As to Revelation, let's point out that the composition of the 16 and 17 gauge versions differs slightly, the 16 containing zyex as well; hence it may matter somewhat from your standpoint which gauge you mean (although my own view in this case doesn't happen to vary for it).

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

morten
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Valjean, i would consider psgm a true multi, and it has not a single solid core, but 3 and most of the string is thin multifibres, but i agree that price usually is a good indicator...

Valjean
11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Valjean, i would consider psgm a true multi, and it has not a single solid core, but 3 and most of the string is thin multifibres, but i agree that price usually is a good indicator...
I don't know how, because then you'd be terming, say, Alpha's Gut 2000 one too. Look to TW's Learning Center, here, for the usual multifilament definition: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/StringReference.html. In the same vein, one might still consult the manufacturer; Prince, after all, elected to call its string Prince's *Synthetic Gut* Multifilament, a hybrid term--er, like the string itself?

BreakPoint
11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I used NXT 16, then Maxim Touch, then Volkl Catapult and Prince Premier LT. The Premier LT is closest to NXT, I found the Maxim Touch and Catapult slightly less livelier. At less than $5, the Catapult wins hands down. :)

FWIW i'm stringing it at 56 on an 18x20 frame. it's soft without feeling mushy, good feel, and decent durability for a multi. i don't like the coil memory - have to be careful of kinks when stringing without a prestretch. but for the price you can't go wrong. it's the best $5 multi i've hit with.

in comparison to something like wilson reaction or wilson nxt it's not as stiff. a little more power than reaction and not as much as nxt. those are the 2 multi's i have used most recently before the volkl.
OK, thanks guys for the feedback. :)

I have a set of the Volkl Catapult but haven't had a chance to put it in a racquet yet.

R R, it's interesting that you say the Catapult less stiff and more powerful than Wilson Reaction as I find Reaction to be already pretty soft and powerful, at least more so than either Maxim Touch or Yonex Super Tour 850. Have you ever tried either Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament or Wilson Hollow Core? Those are my two main multis that I use right now. I find both to be pretty soft and powerful, similar to Reaction. I wonder how Catapult compares to them? Thanks.

Cup8489
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM

how did you like the original Prince Premiere With Softflex?

Not the cheapest out there, but i definitely liked it alot when i was younger.

Nice to see someone else appreciates Hollow Core, what did you like the most about it?

Richie Rich
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
OK, thanks guys for the feedback. :)

I have a set of the Volkl Catapult but haven't had a chance to put it in a racquet yet.

R R, it's interesting that you say the Catapult less stiff and more powerful than Wilson Reaction as I find Reaction to be already pretty soft and powerful, at least more so than either Maxim Touch or Yonex Super Tour 850. Have you ever tried either Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament or Wilson Hollow Core? Those are my two main multis that I use right now. I find both to be pretty soft and powerful, similar to Reaction. I wonder how Catapult compares to them? Thanks.

haven't tried any of those you mention. i would just try out the catapult and see what you think. i might like it and you might think it's trash. too many variables from one person to the next.

BreakPoint
11-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Actually, I have to disagree and say that I have found that, more often than not, a string's price *is* a good indicator of its quality. (And the major exceptions I can think of are all in the Gamma line, too!) For instance, Prince's SGM, which you esteem (and isn't even a true multi), has been found to suffer from higher tension loss than most multis, despite having a center core; pre-stretching is definitely adviseable with this one. And Wilson K-Gut may be somewhat over-priced, but if you do a board search I seriously doubt you would find that most in here would agree with your characterization of it as "much inferior to [PSGM]." As to Revelation, let's point out that the composition of the 16 and 17 gauge versions differs slightly, the 16 containing zyex as well; hence it may matter somewhat from your standpoint which gauge you mean (although my own view in this case doesn't happen to vary for it).

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html
Actually, I find PSGM to play more like a multi than any other multi I have ever tried. I even like it better than natural gut. The stuff has incredible amount of feel, is extremely powerful, and is very soft and arm-friendly. It dramatically ups the power and playability of my K90 every time I put it in. The downside is that it obviously doesn't have as much control as a stiffer string, it moves around a lot, and it's not the longest lasting string out there. However, for me, it's a million times better than K-Gut and K-Gut Pro. K-Gut (Pro) is stiff like a poly, has no feel, very little power, and it actually gave me tennis elbow despite being advertised as being very arm-friendly and for people with arm/elbow problems. You couldn't pay me enough to use the stuff. The only good thing I have to say about it is that if you love polys, you should love K-Gut and K-Gut Pro because they're almost the same. But then why not just pay 1/4 of the price and get a cheap poly instead?

The Gamma Revelation I use is 16g. I find it on par with Maxim Touch and Yonex Your 850, but a little better than both.

But getting back to cost, I find even Gosen OG Sheep Micro syn gut to outperform many multis that cost 10 times more. So from my personal experience, I definitely do not equate price with performance when it comes to strings. I've used many cheap strings that perform great and many expensive strings that are terrible and that I cut out after 10 minutes. Luxilon M2 Pro was one recent expensive string that I cut out after less than 10 minutes.

BTW, I never pre-stretch because that takes much of the resiliency out of the strings, which to me defeats the purpose of wanting a resilient string.

DavidGarcia
11-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I am with BreakPoint on this. Price might be a good indicator but does not say all about one string. I played 6 months with X-One and this strings brings me nothing, I see no point or soever in paying 15USD for a set. I find it well overpriced. I thought that the multifeel was just as good in many aspects and almost half the price!
Price is def not everything......I am playing 100000 better now with a 3USD string (yes 3USD each set of Dunlop MFill Tour) than with the 15USD X-One!

I also have to admit I LOVE RIP Control which costs me 5USD a set! Pretty hard to beat that!

BreakPoint
11-02-2009, 12:18 PM
how did you like the original Prince Premiere With Softflex?

Not the cheapest out there, but i definitely liked it alot when i was younger.

Nice to see someone else appreciates Hollow Core, what did you like the most about it?
Actually, I've never tried the Prince Premiere with Softflex because since I liked the PSGM so much, I just kept using it as it's cheaper than the Premiere.

I find Hollow Core gives me just about everything I want in a string. It is soft, arm-friendly, good power, good control, good spin, and moves less than some other multis like PSGM. In fact, when I hit with it, I think this is what natural gut should play like. The downside is that it's not the most durable string and is the only string I have ever played with in which the playability is better when freshly strung. I usually find I need to "break-in" a fresh new stringjob for a couple of hours and for the strings to "lock-in" before I get the best performance out of a new stringjob. However, with Hollow Core, I find the performance is at its maximum in the first 2 hours and then drops off but stabilizes. Just not what I typically experience with strings. However, I can understand why most poly users would hate Hollow Core. They are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Valjean
11-02-2009, 06:44 PM
When you spend more on an automobile, you do get more "car", whereas when you spend more on tennis string (with the likely exception of natural gut) you don't usually get more "game", just some trait you need/want more of, like power/comfort (multifilament) and durability (kevlar/polyester). When you don't feel any need for those, then they can seem trivial, and thus expensive.

I wonder now how natural gut feels to you, too.

Power Player
11-02-2009, 06:56 PM
How does it compare to Big Ace?

It is not nearly as durable in any way or I would use it more. It also moves like crazy, but that is to be expected.

BreakPoint
11-02-2009, 07:29 PM
When you spend more on an automobile, you do get more "car", whereas when you spend more on tennis string (with the likely exception of natural gut) you don't usually get more "game", just some trait you need/want more of, like power/comfort (multifilament) and durability (kevlar/polyester). When you don't feel any need for those, then they can seem trivial, and thus expensive.

I wonder now how natural gut feels to you, too.
Not really. For example, I tried K-Gut and K-Gut Pro because they were supposed to be very arm-friendly, with lots of power and feel, and play as close to natural gut as possible for any synthetic string. And because the price was close to that of natural gut, I thought just maybe their claims were true. Well, I found the complete opposite. The strings were stiff and harsh and very arm unfriendly, so bad that they gave me tennis elbow after only a few hours of using them. They have very little feel and next to no power and play much closer to poly than to natural gut. BTW, I'm not a big fan of natural gut anyway. I think there are better synthetic strings for a lot less money. So, no, with strings, I can spend more money and get less of what I want in a string.

As far as cars, it's not necessarily true either. I've owned expensive cars like BMW's, Audis, Toyotas, etc. and the cheap Ford I own now is by far the most reliable and best performing car I have ever owned. So even with cars, price is not necessarily an absolute indicator of performance nor superiority. :)

Jakedasnake
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm goin with Valjean on this one, because I used K Gut and it was the softest string I've ever used. Hands down. I dunno how high you strung to get pain, but I strung my K Gut at 58 lbs and it was the most amazing string in the world. Too bad it's 22 bucks = (

BreakPoint
11-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm goin with Valjean on this one, because I used K Gut and it was the softest string I've ever used. Hands down. I dunno how high you strung to get pain, but I strung my K Gut at 58 lbs and it was the most amazing string in the world. Too bad it's 22 bucks = (
I strung the K-Gut at 48 lbs.

Is Reaction your usual string? I find Reaction to be much softer than K-Gut and pretty much better in all aspects. Have you tried either PSGM or Hollow Core? I know for a fact that both PSGM and Hollow Core are much softer than either K-Gut or K-Gut Pro as I played with all 4 side-by-side for a while.

I can understand a poly user thinking that K-Gut is the softest string they've ever used but not a multi user ever saying that. I knew I was in trouble when the K-Gut didn't stretch at all on my drop weight machine when I dropped the weight, just like polys don't.

Jakedasnake
11-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I strung the K-Gut at 48 lbs.

Is Reaction your usual string? I find Reaction to be much softer than K-Gut and pretty much better in all aspects. Have you tried either PSGM or Hollow Core? I know for a fact that both PSGM and Hollow Core are much softer than either K-Gut or K-Gut Pro as I played with all 4 side-by-side for a while.

I can understand a poly user thinking that K-Gut is the softest string they've ever used but not a multi user ever saying that. I knew I was in trouble when the K-Gut didn't stretch at all on my drop weight machine when I dropped the weight, just like polys don't.

Hmm, comparing all 4 side by side seems pretty accurate. Yes, reaction is my usual string, but I only have 1 set left after wilson discontinued..... = (
Anyways I thought that K gut was softer, and had more power. Reaction haa more of that "crisp" feel that I like. I have not tried PSGM, but I tried hollow core a while back. I liked it, because it had really good power and comfort. Feel wasn't extraordinary, but overall I liked it. I didn't string the K Gut, but I have strung Reaction and Hollow Core.
FYI, I've never played with Poly because I'm coming off a shoulder injury.

All in all, I would say that K gut is good, just that it's overpriced. I will definitely give PSGM a try