PDA

View Full Version : VS Natural Gut - Does it need a breaking in period

normrose
10-28-2009, 05:06 AM
I intend ot buy a set of Vs 17g gut and wondered if there is a breaking in period before it performs to its optimum performance?

markwillplay
10-28-2009, 05:26 AM
don't know about performance but mine feels better after having been on a week. I think the tension relaxed some...anyway, feels great now.......lve it. Mine is 16 gauge.

joe sch
10-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Nope !
Gut plays very consistent from start to finish and holds tension very well.
The modern "weather proof" gut will play slightly diff as this coating starts to wear off, actually better since you will get the natural feeling like playing the old uncoated guts. If you keep it out of humidity and temp extremes, it will last for years and not lose any of the great playing characterists. I have even strung up nat guts from decades back and they still play great. Trust me on this.

coloskier
10-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Nope !
Gut plays very consistent from start to finish and holds tension very well.
The modern "weather proof" gut will play slightly diff as this coating starts to wear off, actually better since you will get the natural feeling like playing the old uncoated guts. If you keep it out of humidity and temp extremes, it will last for years and not lose any of the great playing characterists. I have even strung up nat guts from decades back and they still play great. Trust me on this.

I've still got 3 Wilson Jack Kramer Autograph woodies strung with VS and they have only lost 3 lbs in 35 years.

tdent
10-28-2009, 07:17 AM
For me vs gut speciufically needed a break in period. I found vs gut very stiff in the first few hours and I tried it twice once with pre stretching. I never experienced a string change characteristics more than vs gut. After that it goes very very mushy. I have tried pacific gut and it was much much more consistent. The power and control are exceptional but I hated those first few hours of hittting. Playabililty is very consistent after that break in period and I did not experience them going dead like multis or poly.

larry10s
10-28-2009, 08:39 AM
i prestretch my vs. the first few hours are the best. more feel and perceived "dwell"time . it then stabilizes until the strings break or after 3-4 months i restring. no break in necessary

jrod
10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
i prestretch my vs. the first few hours are the best. more feel and perceived "dwell"time . it then stabilizes until the strings break or after 3-4 months i restring. no break in necessary

Yep...prestretch prior to stringing and no break-in required.

liftlobby2
10-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Yep...prestretch prior to stringing and no break-in required.

Yes, i cannot agree better! It will definitely stretch a little more in the beginning and shld play well for a long time. Enjoy!

ClubHoUno
10-30-2009, 09:54 PM
My stringer prestreches my VS 17 and VS 16 Babolat natty gut before he strings them. He uses a babolat Star5 machine. To me the VS 17 natty gut in my Babolat PS Limited GT feels smotth as silk the second I play with it. But I never play with a racquet the same day as it has been strung.

I always let the strings rest for 24 hours before playing with them.

Richie Rich
10-31-2009, 09:33 AM
for me gut takes about 1 set to break in.