PDA

View Full Version : Playing in windy conditions

rk_sports
10-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Yesterday, I played in some of the worst windy conditions :mad:

It was frustrating for sure until I started to take on the 'challenge' to see how I can overcome the conditions and apply myself to do the best I can (blah blah..)

What I learned is that in windy conditions, don't play lobs/drop shot and have a low toss and even hit the serve on the way up of the toss and play heavy topspin

What are some tips for playing in windy conditions?

P.S. As I thought were were only crazy bunch to try to play in those conditions, I see few more people show up and play... talk about hardcore tennis players ;)

moroni
10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
slice will always curve more so watch out .... most drops are inaffective..... topspin lops are fine if you hit with loads of spin ..... you hve to adjust power depending on which side the wind is coming from.. serve gets ugly mainly because the toss gets messed up so adjust the toss

krz
10-28-2009, 02:00 PM
keep your feet moving! Windy conditions can really punish poor footwork.

Geezer Guy
10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
You can still hit drop shots and lobs, but only attempt them when hitting into the wind. If you have a slice serve, it can be very nasty when hit into the wind. For groundies, play the percentages and hit with a wider margin of safety. When playing into the wind, try an approach shot. If your opponent tries to pass you, let it go (it'll usually carry long). When playing net with the wind at your back, you best hit anything you can because it'll probably land inbounds.

Most importantly, gotta keep a positive attitude.

Storm_Kyori
10-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Just play the wind. It's hard on my serve since it's already pretty erratic. I tend to hit shots towards where the wind is blowing. It should go long, but it speeds up my shots which works better to my advantage. If it's going left or right, I hit a cross-court shot with some good spin to keep it in, but push my opponent wide. If it's going front or back, that when I hit slightly more cautious. I just hit and try to find my range. If I ease up or try to do things differently, it ends up hurting my game in the long run.

volusiano
10-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I've tried playing in very windy conditions before and it was just no fun for me. I now choose to not play when it's windy because there's no point doing something I don't enjoy.

rk_sports
10-28-2009, 04:37 PM
keep your feet moving! Windy conditions can really punish poor footwork.

Oh yes! I did pay the prize as some balls nearly died (when wind was against) and had I known this conscientiously, I would do lot more to go get them!

You can still hit drop shots and lobs, but only attempt them when hitting into the wind. If you have a slice serve, it can be very nasty when hit into the wind. For groundies, play the percentages and hit with a wider margin of safety. When playing into the wind, try an approach shot. If your opponent tries to pass you, let it go (it'll usually carry long). When playing net with the wind at your back, you best hit anything you can because it'll probably land inbounds.

Most importantly, gotta keep a positive attitude.

Great tips and last one was harder than all others combined ;)

I've tried playing in very windy conditions before and it was just no fun for me. I now choose to not play when it's windy because there's no point doing something I don't enjoy.

Agreed! But, there could be times where its not a choice and if faced in such a situation, its better to know have this knowledge rather than forfeit the match w/o playing :)

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
10-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I remember playing another school last year, it aws our first match and the wind was so bad that the wind would actually slightly move my racket so that i would mostly mishit it.

Nellie
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
When you are playing in a lot of wind, you definitely need to play not to loss, and forget going for shots. Keep the ball high over the net with lots of topspin. Likewise, use only that second serve. Bring your running shoes, move the opponent around to encourage them to make errors.

In D Zone
10-28-2009, 09:37 PM
There are also two sides to the coin - you 'll be playing with the wind behind or against the wind.

You must take advantage when you have wind behind you. Keep you strokes at regular space and let the wind do its magic; pace to the ball.

of course, as you change sides - you got the wind against you. Hit with more topspin , concentrate on keeping the ball in play; Percentage tennis.

Be ready to come to the net - expect the ball to land short. Whenever oppurtunity presents itself - attack the shot with aggressive approach and volleys.

In D Zone
10-28-2009, 10:21 PM
The windiest place I ever played was on a top of a cruise ship while cruising over the Baltic Sea; travelled from Dover England to St Petersburg, Russia.

Rallyed against a Canadian and German (lefty)guys; played for 4 days. Aside from the wind, we had only 30 feet vertical clearance from the net above us. Slippery surface (painted steel) and also the platform is concaved (net / center is the higher point , sloped slightly down on both sides (port and starboard) to drain water off the ship.

I had to bend down low - ball would skid low to get to the ball and dig the ball with topspin. First day was hard - learning to adjust to the conditions. Like everyone had mention - there is alot of running involved. We got adjusted and we just played every sea days . We had a blast!

:shock:

Nellie
10-29-2009, 08:17 AM
I still have not figured out a good strategy for doubles in the wind because when you hit high, the opponents at the net will kill it, and if you trim to skim the net, you will end up with lots of errors.

rk_sports
10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
I still have not figured out a good strategy for doubles in the wind because when you hit high, the opponents at the net will kill it, and if you trim to skim the net, you will end up with lots of errors.

That is true! Doubles in wind would be a completely different animal I would think :o

10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I like to lob in dubs, especially if it is a side to side wind. Really takes away most players overheads.

Agreed about movement/footwork and how important it is in the wind.