PDA

View Full Version : Anything like XOne without the break in period?

JackB1
10-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I have read many comments about XOne Biphase feeling really stiff at first until it is "broken in". I noticed this as well. Are there any similar strings that don't need a "break in" and play softly right off the bat? Thanks!

William Bedford
10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Kgut plays nice from the start and is durable with very little string movement. It costs more yes, but I love it. You can get more feedback here:

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/03/wilson_k_gut_16.html

I use it as my mains with Poly Force original 17 crosses at 57/55lbs. Super comfortable and the strings barely move. 13 hours on this set and no fraying. Previous set lasted aprox 18hrs before it broke on a misshit.

kashgotmoney
10-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Babolat Xcel Power

Valjean
10-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Babolat's Xcel Power and Tecnifibre's XR3.

KenC
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
All strings have an initial tension loss. X1 is a really crisp string so it plays "extra crispy" until that tension loss occurs. On the other hand, a string like Babolat XCel is a soft string that plays fairly soft right from the beginning. Other strings I have tried include Babolat Addiction and Babolat N.Vy. Both are really soft and I didn't really notice the initial tension loss although it definitely dropped a bit.

A lot of people say that if you don't like X1 to try Tecnifibre's MultiFeel. I have two packs, one 16g and the 17g, to try out on my 2nd racket. The problem is that the N.Vy on it refuses to die/break and still plays well.

Meaghan
10-29-2009, 12:29 AM
cordatec matchplay, just got mine restrung with a pht cross and super soft from the off. Sorry Jack can only get it in UK. Amazing string for the price.

tdent
10-29-2009, 02:45 AM
Ken,
Xone still needs a break in after intial tension loss. Like you say all strings have intial tension loss, but not all strings require a break in. Xone you can really feel the ball pocketing after a few hours of hitting, initally I find there is no ball pocketing, the string is very stiff.
Most strings I find play very well fresh, I have probably played with 50+ different types. Only Xone and VS gut I found a break in period, and both were prestretched. The string changes characteristics so much that I will not use them, even though they

JackB1
10-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Ken,
Xone still needs a break in after intial tension loss. Like you say all strings have intial tension loss, but not all strings require a break in. Xone you can really feel the ball pocketing after a few hours of hitting, initally I find there is no ball pocketing, the string is very stiff.
Most strings I find play very well fresh, I have probably played with 50+ different types. Only Xone and VS gut I found a break in period, and both were prestretched. The string changes characteristics so much that I will not use them, even though they

looks like your last sentence was cut off???

so what do you use instead?

JackB1
10-29-2009, 06:14 AM
All strings have an initial tension loss. X1 is a really crisp string so it plays "extra crispy" until that tension loss occurs. On the other hand, a string like Babolat XCel is a soft string that plays fairly soft right from the beginning. Other strings I have tried include Babolat Addiction and Babolat N.Vy. Both are really soft and I didn't really notice the initial tension loss although it definitely dropped a bit.

A lot of people say that if you don't like X1 to try Tecnifibre's MultiFeel. I have two packs, one 16g and the 17g, to try out on my 2nd racket. The problem is that the N.Vy on it refuses to die/break and still plays well.

A lot of folks recommend Xcel, but they dont say which? Xcel power or premium? I would think "premium" is softer because on the box it says "comfort". Maybe I'll try those next?

KenC
10-29-2009, 07:02 AM
A lot of folks recommend Xcel, but they dont say which? Xcel power or premium? I would think "premium" is softer because on the box it says "comfort". Maybe I'll try those next?

Both are soft strings, especially in 17g. A friend swears by XCel Power as it plays more crisp yet still feels soft. He prefers it to TF X-one. I have yet to try XCel Power in my racquets, but using his K6.1 95 with XCel Power is really nice. I did try XCel Premium and really didn't like it as it felt to springy.

Maybe others can chime in, but he says the Power feels more controllable and not as power oriented as the name suggests.

tdent
10-29-2009, 07:20 AM
looks like your last sentence was cut off???

so what do you use instead?

"Are great strings and have long lasting playability"

I am using trying NRG2 at the moment, so far so good, very good string but I think I prefer Wilson Sensation for the feel and the consistency prior to going dead is the best I have tried so far. I guess all string go dead or atleast fray and break, so I think I will buy a reel of the sensation an just restring every month or so.