PDA

View Full Version : Visualization during a point (?)

jmhs
10-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I can see the clear benefit of visualizing before, e.g., every serve and return. Especially the serve, you are in control of the timing.

But during the course of the point, where if you're properly focused in, e.g., Bungalo Bill's description of HIT-BOUNCE-HIT during a high level baseline rally, is there also a place for visualizing your shots before/as you hit them?

If so during a rally (or definitely for a serve), is it better to 1) see yourself hitting the shot from the outside (as if in a movie) or 2) "in the first person" from the perspective looking out from your own eyes. And just before you hit or as you hit?

Mastery of visualization would seem to unlock untapped areas of potential. Other than the serve, it's way beyond me. Although the mind is capable of great capacity, just seems like simple is better (HIT-BOUNCE-HIT) to keep things from becoming too noisy in your head;-)

I keep remembering Pete Sampras' answer about what was in is head while serving. "Nothing." That takes the idea of not thinking about technique during a match to its highest level.

Many thanks in advance.

dozu
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
can't take that 'nothing' from pete literally... he's gotta be thinking how the point will unfold.. it's possible that the options are so well trained in his brain that it has become instince, therefore he was not conciously thinking anything.

self-observing is the whole idea behind the book 'inner game of tennis' - give it a try, visualize yourself (like watching a movie) executing the next 1-3 shots, with purpose (such as pull opps wide, change of pace, whatever), and with every shot in perfect balance, as if you can hold the finish for 3 seconds if you want to... you will find amazing improvement in your game.

footwook will float naturally, anticipation becomes much better, and you will see yourself always a step ahead of your opp during the point.

There has been some talks about focusing on the ball / contact zone etc, but a player should always have his own que of not have the focus completely 'ball-bound', which will lead to mindless ball bashing.

give it a try, it may just be the key that unlocks your potential.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
10-28-2009, 05:30 PM
yur making tennis way more complicated than it has to be.
You have to be able to use your peripheral vision and see your opponent while you are focused on the ball. You have to make your shots depending on where your opponent is and where he/she is moving.
When you start playing more, things come more naturally to you and you can make decisions much more quickly and easily.
Of course you plan out a couple shots ahead and try to make a game plan. But not the entire point

jmhs
10-28-2009, 06:11 PM
yur making tennis way more complicated than it has to be...

No question, when playing a match at a high level you go out there and let 'er rip. What do I know...but I think to maximize your potential it makes sense to thoroughly probe the subtle, but potentially powerful aspects of the game while you're off the court.

maxpotapov
10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I keep remembering Pete Sampras' answer about what was in is head while serving. "Nothing." That takes the idea of not thinking about technique during a match to its highest level.
This is like tennis nirvana... The moment you are aware of your thoughts you loose the focus on the ball. Just "Watch the ball, move your feet"...