PDA

View Full Version : Defaults In National Events

riponeverything
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I have competed in many national events of all levels. One of the things that have really stood out to me is the amount of defaults in the BACKDRAW. In most of the level 1 events there are a ridiculous amounts of defaults in the consolation. Especially from those players who are seeded and lose in the early rounds. What are your thought on this?

papatenis
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Players want to protect their "tennis recruiting" rankings, where head to head still count. Plus, the USTA rules concerning withdrawing from a tournament have no "teeth" to it.

riponeverything
10-28-2009, 06:45 PM
True, and i suppose there are a great deal of players who are playing these nationals just for points. If a seed can no longer get points from the back draw, then why play?

tennismom42
10-28-2009, 09:12 PM
True, and i suppose there are a great deal of players who are playing these nationals just for points. If a seed can no longer get points from the back draw, then why play?Ummm, they still can get points in the back draw. It's points per round won. Plenty of times my son lost in the main draw, then won 2 or three in the back draw and made more points than if he had won the main draw match.

tennismom42
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Players want to protect their "tennis recruiting" rankings, where head to head still count. Plus, the USTA rules concerning withdrawing from a tournament have no "teeth" to it.Fortunately, the USTA has finally gotten wise to this and put a lot of pressure on the Directors to demand proof for the withdrawals.

I know one player that had 6 default no shows in 12 months. Technically, had the rules been enforced, he would have received a 3-month suspension after the 2nd def n/s. Then he would have received a 6-month suspension after the 4th default n/s, etc

It escapes me how some kids can forget they signed up for a tournament.

Also, California has been really cracking down on players who enter the same division for two tournaments, taking place at the same time. I think that's a 5 point suspension as well.

In ITFs, there is no back draw.... so sad! so stupid! Some of the elite players don't bother with the USTA backdraws because they're ill informed about the rules or they've got the single-elimination mind set. Ding dong! Anyone home?

chalkflewup
10-29-2009, 01:55 AM
It's not just about the points, it's about finishing something you started. There's valuable life lessons there. Plus, it's more match play, more experience, and I would hope "fun" for the player.

If a player signs up for a tournament, he/she should commit to seeing the tournament through until the end. If that is not your intention, you should not sign up for the tournament. Unless it's for medical reasons or a family emergency, ride the tournament out.

TennisTaxi
10-29-2009, 11:57 AM
The real problem is that the USTA needs to award more points for wins in the consolation and make it worth while to stick around. For instance, after the first round of a level 3 consolation you only receive 10 points, while a win in the main draw is at least 60 per round....the amount of $$ you spend to stick around for those 10 points per round usually is not worth the cost benefit ratio in the long run. At the Dunlop tourney this year, they had only one round of consolation per day @ $160 per night at the designated hotel...that is big $$ for 10 points!!

Up the amount of points and I assure you more kids will stick around and play. This also effects doubles in that kids will pull out if they lose singles and mess up the doubles draws.:evil:

SoCal10s
10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
back draw, or loser's draw as I call it is not easy.. most of the tournaments are 2 rounds a day and starting at 8am then another at 10 or 11 then you have doubles.. the only on wroth while is Kalamazoo ,even then,a lot of guys still pull out. because you go there to win main draws and not loser's rounds..