PDA

View Full Version : FH, BH, Serve video please critics

webbeing
10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Hello,

Please suggest improvement areas for this person forehand, backhand, and serve, particularly the backhand. Many many thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCnaghSUE8

10-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Looking pretty good there. Must have a pretty good coach.
Keep working on balance, as it will help you to have better
control on all that power you are developing.

Hondasteve
10-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Footwork bud, stay on them toes. Nice strokes, though.

tricky
10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Footwork:

One thing that you do, on the BH, is that you adapt a neutral stance really early, and then you move to the ball. This isn't correct. You want to move to the ball without prematurely setting up a stance. When you're ready to execute your groundstroke, THEN you set up your hitting stance. In essence, your momentum enables you to pivot into your unit turn.

When moving into court, you want to step out with the foot closest to where you think you'll hit the ball. Practice moving with your trunk almost parallel with the net. You can allow the trunk to turn a little, but do not let it "close" or become "square" with the net, until you are ready to execute your groundstroke. This will force you to step out with the foot closest to the ball. In addition, you will move with the hips.

The step-out footwork pattern is very important. Your foot speed will improve and be much lighter. In addition, it will automatically supply the power you need for your groundstrokes. It improve your accuracy, timing, and it helps to set up a correct unit turn.

2H BH:
For the most part, pretty good. You do a good job hitting through the ball, and it looks like you have good speed.

1) Try to establish a rhythm in your groundstroke. Either go "Step 1, Step 2" or "Bounce-Hit." This will improve your feet pattern.

2) Sometimes, when you have a lot of time to prepare, you do a loop in your takeback. Generally you want to keep to a smile or U-shaped backswing.

3) On "1" or "Bounce", lower the racquet with your "guide" arm (in your case, the left arm.) Then, take the racquet back with your "driving" arm (in your case, the right arm.) This will help with your dominance and keep your head down as well.

4) Let the front shoulder come under your chin. This ensures a good takeback.

FH:
Very off-balanced due to footwork. You'll want to look at the step-out pattern and work with that. Not getting much extension into the shot. It looks like you try to "brake" your trunk from overrotating. Your non-hitting hand sometimes gets in the way. Your non-hitting/right arm kinda falls asleep in your takeback as well. It is important that you use it to guide your swing. That is all, again, an indication of footwork issues. It also looks like you're self-consciously closing your racquet. FH is much better when you step into the shot.

1) Again, work on the footwork.

2) Use the 1-2 or Bounce-Hit rhythm.

3) As you separate the non-hitting hand from your racquet, have the hand stroke the neck of the racquet. This will help you transition from a loop-based takeback to a turn-based takeback. This is very important if you want to execute an efficient WW swing.

Serve:
Not that bad, but you're self-consciously creating the trophy pose rather than letting your windup create it. There may be a balance issue as well. If you feel your lower back a lot in the windup, then there's a balance problem.

1) Try the sock drill to practice a continuous motion. Put one or two tennis balls in a sock, and then shadow your complete serve using that sock rather than a racquet.

2) Practice just the toss and windup with one foot off the ground during both the toss and windup. Do this using the sock and without a ball. You want your balance to move forward during the toss and windup, instead of falling backwards. Be mindful of what muscles you feel during your windup. Observe whether the trophy pose is coming naturally. Then, with both feet on the ground, shadow your whole service motion with the sock drill. Feel and see what has changed.

Bungalo Bill
10-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Hello,

Please suggest improvement areas for this person forehand, backhand, and serve, particularly the backhand. Many many thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCnaghSUE8

1. You had a bit too much heel walking going on. Get on those toes (or balls of the feet) and I should rarely see the heels hit the ground. Daylight between the heels and the ground is what I am lookging for. Work at it.

2. Follow Trickies advice on the step-out. You can search for the ball machine drill and more information on what it is and for.

3. Non-dominant arm, get it out there more through your contact zone.

4. Serve: Need more thrust from the legs. Work em. Stretch your front hip out and get it going.

Djokovicfan4life
10-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Backhand: You never really finish with your weight moving into the court. You seem to take a half-hearted step with the front foot and fall sideways/backwards immediately after you hit the ball.

Forehand: You don't get enough extension into the court. It looks like you are trying to force a windshield wiper motion and as a result you never really hit through the ball.

Pretty good overall.

Slazenger07
10-29-2009, 07:50 AM
On your backhand there were a few times when it looked like you werent really using your legs enough. Make sure you get a good knee bend everytime and get your body down low, this will help you get under tough low balls as well as help you generate power by allowing you to shift your bodyweight into the shot as you step forward. Forehand looks pretty good, looks like youre using a windshield wiper finish, if that works for you stick with it, Im a lefty like you and my forehand is definetly my best shot cause I concentrated on topspin generation as a kid. I can nail it flat with ease but my bread and butter is that heavy topspin. My advice to you is incorporate heavy spin into your game, on the serve, forehand, backhand(have your coach work on a low skidding slice backhand with you), that lefty spin can go a long way for you, trust me the people I play with cant handle my forehand cause its so topspin heavy and its lefty spin, making it that much tougher to pick up and hit cleanly. I recommend learning the reverse finish on the forehand (Like Nadal hits most of the time) and using it along with the across your body finish. Having both finishes and concentrating on brushing up the ball fast for heavy topspin will make your forehand not only versatile, but consistent, not to mention a consistent headache for your opponents. :)
On the serve, I believe it is crucial that as a lefty you have a strong slice serve. This serve is not only high percentage when you get it down, but it curves and skids towards our right handed opponents backhands and is particularly lethal on the ad side, where the biggest points are played. Thus the lefty advantage in tennis.

Thats my 2 cents. Good luck fellow lefty!

Slazenger07
10-29-2009, 07:56 AM
On your backhand there were a few times when it looked like you werent really using your legs enough. Make sure you get a good knee bend everytime and get your body down low, this will help you get under tough low balls as well as help you generate power by allowing you to shift your bodyweight into the shot as you step forward. Forehand looks pretty good, looks like youre using a windshield wiper finish, if that works for you stick with it, Im a lefty like you and my forehand is definetly my best shot cause I concentrated on topspin generation as a kid. I can nail it flat with ease but my bread and butter is that heavy topspin. My advice to you is incorporate heavy spin into your game, on the serve, forehand, backhand(have your coach work on a low skidding slice backhand with you), that lefty spin can go a long way for you, trust me the people I play with cant handle my forehand cause its so topspin heavy and its lefty spin, making it that much tougher to pick up and hit cleanly. I recommend learning the reverse finish on the forehand (Like Nadal hits most of the time) and using it along with the across your body finish. Having both finishes and concentrating on brushing up the ball fast for heavy topspin will make your forehand not only versatile, but consistent, not to mention a consistent headache for your opponents. :)
On the serve, I believe it is crucial that as a lefty you have a strong slice serve. This serve is not only high percentage when you get it down, but it curves and skids towards our right handed opponents backhands and is particularly lethal on the ad side, where the biggest points are played. Thus the lefty advantage in tennis.

Thats my 2 cents. Good luck fellow lefty!

Nellie
10-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Backhand: You never really finish with your weight moving into the court. You seem to take a half-hearted step with the front foot and fall sideways/backwards immediately after you hit the ball.

Forehand: You don't get enough extension into the court. It looks like you are trying to force a windshield wiper motion and as a result you never really hit through the ball.

Pretty good overall.

Agreed with this comment about your balance. On the BH - don't step backwards with the right foot during the stroke- you are cutting off the body rotation/weight shift - get that leg out and forward

FH - don't rotation/try to recover prior to the shot. You need little steps to set up your body so that the moving shot is hit similarly to the shot hit at you

Serve - keep the right, tossing arm up longer and toss about another 6 inching forward so you can hit high and forward.

skyzoo
10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I hate those indoor courts big time. Played the worst tennis of my life there. NIce looking, but made for some bad, bad, bad tennis. Try changing courts if you start playing bad.

webbeing
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Thank you very much for taking valuable time to post these very helpful suggestions! He has been stagnated for the last 2-3 months. Hopefulle we can incorporate these improvements in a couple of months which should get him to another level. Thanks again.