PDA

View Full Version : Which tension to try in MSV/Gosen hybrid?

alexmcnab
10-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Currently using MSV Focus Hex @ 58lbs which I really like although it is a little harsh. I'm thinking about trying Gosen Syn Gut in the crosses and was wondering what tension (s) to try. Anyone tried this setup?

Technatic
10-29-2009, 03:03 AM
There is only one way to find out the right tension on the crosses in all cases:

The width of the racquet has to be the same after stringing as it was before (without the strings in it).
If this is so the stress in the racquet material is als low as possible because the deflection is minimal.

If the width is smaller after stringing the tension on the crosses has been too high.

Because the impact of the ball causes more raise in tension in the crosses than it does in the mains the chance of cracks is bigger when the tension in the crosses is too high.

Once you have found the right relation for a certain racquet and string combination you should not change that in the interest of playability.

In general:
The final tension in a string in a racquet depends on the elasticity of the string. So if the syn gut is more elastic ( being a good nylon) put the syn gut in at 4 lbs less than you used for the MSV string.

There is not much danger when you go too low on the crosses.

alidisperanza
11-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm going to go with... the OP is asking what tension for the crosses would produce a comparable feel to the full bed of MSV. Right?

Also couldn't one circumvent all this by simply following the manufacture suggested tensions?

If I'm assuming correctly, you may be able to get away stringing the crosses a little bit tighter (talking 2-3 lbs /1kg ish) than your MSV. The simple matter of the fact is that they don't convey vibration the same way Poly does. In my personal case, I like the stiff feel so I typically string my MSV hybrids 56/58 or 58/61 depending on the string. Mind you, It's also respective of the racquet.

just .02

bad_call
11-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm going to go with... the OP is asking what tension for the crosses would produce a comparable feel to the full bed of MSV. Right?

Also couldn't one circumvent all this by simply following the manufacture suggested tensions?

If I'm assuming correctly, you may be able to get away stringing the crosses a little bit tighter (talking 2-3 lbs /1kg ish) than your MSV. The simple matter of the fact is that they don't convey vibration the same way Poly does. In my personal case, I like the stiff feel so I typically string my MSV hybrids 56/58 or 58/61 depending on the string. Mind you, It's also respective of the racquet.

just .02

in agreement with the bolded statement. personally string the Prestige Pro lower with the main/cross differential as bolded.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-01-2009, 05:02 PM
There is only one way to find out the right tension on the crosses in all cases:

The width of the racquet has to be the same after stringing as it was before (without the strings in it).
If this is so the stress in the racquet material is als low as possible because the deflection is minimal.

If the width is smaller after stringing the tension on the crosses has been too high.

Because the impact of the ball causes more raise in tension in the crosses than it does in the mains the chance of cracks is bigger when the tension in the crosses is too high.

Once you have found the right relation for a certain racquet and string combination you should not change that in the interest of playability.

In general:
The final tension in a string in a racquet depends on the elasticity of the string. So if the syn gut is more elastic ( being a good nylon) put the syn gut in at 4 lbs less than you used for the MSV string.

There is not much danger when you go too low on the crosses.

Technatic from your post I have deduced that you are Fred Timmer.

skyzoo
11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
55/58. greatest combination ever.

alexmcnab
11-02-2009, 12:08 AM
thanks for responses, I'm trying 58 mains (msv) / 56 crosses (gosen)....it feels nice to me produced a solid hit with a little more comfort than full msv.

skyzoo, you got me wondering how your 55/58 feels now?

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Try it I think you will find more control and a softer stringbed.

skyzoo
11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
thanks for responses, I'm trying 58 mains (msv) / 56 crosses (gosen)....it feels nice to me produced a solid hit with a little more comfort than full msv.

skyzoo, you got me wondering how your 55/58 feels now?
all sorts of crisp. The strings have a lot of feel and touch and spin is readily available. I enjoyed it way more over the full bed of msv or full bed of gosen. I don't think i'll be using anything else for a while.

alexmcnab
11-03-2009, 12:56 AM
all sorts of crisp. The strings have a lot of feel and touch and spin is readily available. I enjoyed it way more over the full bed of msv or full bed of gosen. I don't think i'll be using anything else for a while.

interesting thanks, I'll give it a go next time I restring

downs_chris
11-03-2009, 05:17 AM

i agree with this...it's the way to go...especially since gosen is soo cheap in reel form...you really can't go wrong with that $29.99 price tag!