PDA

View Full Version : Time violation - a solution

pete92
10-29-2009, 06:24 AM
If someone is playing against you and they are taking too long it can be annoying. It can affect your rhythm. However, this is another way to deal with a staller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1e_zm6JHXg

drakulie
10-29-2009, 06:41 AM
I played a guy who was conintuously stalling. I drew him into the net, and hit him in the back at point-blank range. This was after repeated attempts of asking nicely, quoting the rules, etc, etc, etc. wasn't working and he was being a jerk, so I went this avenue. I did it again a few points later, and we went at it, where we had to be separated. The guy was thrown out of the league. Apparently, there were several complaints about him already. :)

Anyway, the Gonzo video is a good one. :eviL:

Thanks for sharing.

ninman
10-29-2009, 07:33 AM
just ban nadal and djokovic that will solve the problem.

kOaMaster
10-29-2009, 07:34 AM
haha, GOOD answer, very good :D

TMF
10-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Alot of blame should be pour on the empire. He/she should step up and prevent the player(s) from abusing the rule. Other sports like the NBA are very strict about timing...any violation the whistle is blown, but unfortunate not in tennis.

drakulie
10-29-2009, 08:00 AM
just ban nadal and djokovic that will solve the problem.

This will most definitely erase this issue from our memory.

Cesc Fabregas
10-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Its just a guideline its not a set rule, the people who constantley whine about this are probably people who squealed to the teacher about everything at school.

jrod
10-29-2009, 08:24 AM
1 word: T A S E R S

drakulie
10-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Its just a guideline its not a set rule, the people who constantley whine about this are probably people who squealed to the teacher about everything at school.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Players should be allowed to go home between points, come back the next day and continue play whenever they are ready,,,,,,,,,,,, since it's not a set rule.

defrule
10-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Nadal and Djokovic are comedy when it comes to time wasting.

aphex
10-29-2009, 08:29 AM

You really are a clueless fanboy:

from the 2009 official grand-slam RULEbook:

I. TIME VIOLATION / DELAY OF GAME
Following the expiration of the warm-up period play shall be continuous and a
player shall not unreasonably delay a match for any cause.
A maximum of twenty (20) seconds shall elapse from the moment the ball goes out
of play at the end of the point until the time the ball is struck for the first serve of the
next point. If such serve is a fault then the second serve must be struck by the server
without delay.
When changing ends a maximum of ninety (90) seconds shall elapse from the
moment the ball goes out of play at the end of the game until the time the first serve
is struck for the next game. If such first serve is a fault the second serve must be
struck by the server without delay. However, after the first game of each set and
during a tie-break, play shall be continuous and the players shall change ends
without a rest period.
At the conclusion of each set, regardless of the score, there shall be a set break of
one hundred and twenty (120) seconds from the moment the ball goes out of play at
the end of the set until the time the first serve is struck for the next set.
If a set ends after an even number of games, there shall be no change of ends until
after the first game of the next set.
The receiver shall play to the reasonable pace of the server and shall be ready to
receive within a reasonable time of the server being ready.
The first violation of this Section shall be penalised by a Time Violation warning
and each subsequent violation shall be penalised by the assessment of one Time
Violation point penalty.
When a violation is a result of a medical condition, refusal to play or not returning to
the court within the allowed time a Code Violation (Delay of Game) penalty shall be
assessed in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule.

TMF
10-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Nadal and Djokovic are comedy when it comes to time wasting.

And it was a 3 setter. If it was a 5 set format, the match could of last for 6 hours!

TheMusicLover
10-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Alot of blame should be pour on the empire. He/she should step up and prevent the player(s) from abusing the rule. Other sports like the NBA are very strict about timing...any violation the whistle is blown, but unfortunate not in tennis.

THIS.
Of course it's up to the umpires to DO THEIR JOB, which is enforcing the rules (and yes, 'no time-wasting' is a RULE). Unfortunately, two of the main culprits are top players and like is the case in Orwell's Animal Farm, 'some are more equal than others'... so they get away with it, as the majority of the umpires seem to be spineless.

ronnyy7
10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
You really are a clueless fanboy:

from the 2009 official grand-slam RULEbook:

I. TIME VIOLATION / DELAY OF GAME
Following the expiration of the warm-up period play shall be continuous and a
player shall not unreasonably delay a match for any cause.
A maximum of twenty (20) seconds shall elapse from the moment the ball goes out
of play at the end of the point until the time the ball is struck for the first serve of the
next point. If such serve is a fault then the second serve must be struck by the server
without delay.
When changing ends a maximum of ninety (90) seconds shall elapse from the
moment the ball goes out of play at the end of the game until the time the first serve
is struck for the next game. If such first serve is a fault the second serve must be
struck by the server without delay. However, after the first game of each set and
during a tie-break, play shall be continuous and the players shall change ends
without a rest period.
At the conclusion of each set, regardless of the score, there shall be a set break of
one hundred and twenty (120) seconds from the moment the ball goes out of play at
the end of the set until the time the first serve is struck for the next set.
If a set ends after an even number of games, there shall be no change of ends until
after the first game of the next set.
The receiver shall play to the reasonable pace of the server and shall be ready to
receive within a reasonable time of the server being ready.
The first violation of this Section shall be penalised by a Time Violation warning
and each subsequent violation shall be penalised by the assessment of one Time
Violation point penalty.
When a violation is a result of a medical condition, refusal to play or not returning to
the court within the allowed time a Code Violation (Delay of Game) penalty shall be
assessed in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule.

Thanks for sharing. Comment Cesc?:>

wilkinru
10-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Alot of blame should be pour on the empire.

I agree. Darth Vader would clean this crap up.

Petit Nicolas
10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
What if Fernando just served? Is there a rule against serving when your opponent is not ready yet? That wouldn't be the nicest thing to do, but after a coupe of times he'll get the hint and stop stalling.

TheMusicLover
10-29-2009, 11:35 AM
What if Fernando just served? Is there a rule against serving when your opponent is not ready yet? That wouldn't be the nicest thing to do, but after a coupe of times he'll get the hint and stop stalling.

I don't think there's any 'official' rule against doing so, as it's the server that should dictate the pace, not the reciever. I do think it would be regarded as very unsportive though, comparable with serving underhandedly.
Anyone who knows more about this?

All-rounder
10-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Time wasting is only a problem when nadal and djokovic play. So at the moment its not a big issue.

P_Agony
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Time wasting is only a problem when nadal and djokovic play. So at the moment its not a big issue.

Serena often takes her sweet sweet time.

JennyS
10-30-2009, 06:57 AM
I bet Federer has been really tempted to do that to a certain rival of his:P

JennyS
10-30-2009, 07:00 AM
I agree. Darth Vader would clean this crap up.

Obiwan has taught you well:D

ubermeyer
10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
another way to deal with a chronic staller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvgnYDTTQ0

Cody
10-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Just make them wear those dog collars and every time they go over the limit..
Zap! :twisted: