PDA

View Full Version : Video of Federer training as a Junior

KrossKourt
10-29-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwh0GfA_eo

Just shows the intense and unconventional training habits of the current no.1 player in the world when he was a junior. He does a mixture of strength, speed, and hand eye coordination routines that I've never seen before. Pretty cool.

If you guys know who the other player is let me know.

tennisboygr
10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Nice vid. Always cool to see the great players when they're younger.....I think there was an interview of Federer when he was 19 or so, and he said that he hoped that in 4-5 years time that he'd be in the semi's of Grand Slams consistently.....

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Ive seen this before-but still, great video !

aphex
10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
pretty insane hand/eye coordination there...

kOaMaster
10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
at first I thought the other one could be Ivo Heuberger, but I'm not really convinced.

he was in the national training center around 95-97 too and federer looks ~16. so it would fit, but I can't really remember heuberger being dark skinned

Coaching
10-29-2009, 05:53 PM
That looks like an asian guy, anyone knows him?

Conquistador
10-29-2009, 06:01 PM
That kid in the video--how did he turn out?

mtr1
10-30-2009, 12:06 AM
That kid in the video--how did he turn out?

I know one of them won 15 grand slams.....

jimbo333
10-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Federer, the most naturally gifted player of all time, or was it just very good coaching/training :)

benasp
10-30-2009, 04:03 AM
The trainer for sure have some good reference to put on their CV.

THESEXPISTOL
10-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Federer, the most naturally gifted player of all time, or was it just very good coaching/training :)

or both ;)

Omega_7000
10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the link! I was looking for this video...

IvanAndreevich
10-30-2009, 04:53 PM
This has been posted many many times.

Larrysümmers
10-30-2009, 08:48 PM
towards the end. What was hooked up to his legs, and plugged into that little machine thing?

Cup8489
10-30-2009, 09:07 PM
towards the end. What was hooked up to his legs, and plugged into that little machine thing?

not sure exactly, but it generates electrical pulses that are sent to your muscles, and has a similar effect to leg extensions. i'm sure using the leg extensions in unison with the electric pads must have caused his thighs to explode with muscle mass, lol.

Bruce Lee famously used similar things on his abdomen, and said several times it had the same effect as 100 crunches over a given period of use.

jackson vile
10-31-2009, 10:27 AM

EMS (electro muscle stimulators)

It allows you to train a muscle or muscle group without use of the CNS. The reason is that the CNS can only be used to much at anyone one time and it simply will not allow optimal activation of said muscles, it simply shuts down.

Pancho G
10-31-2009, 11:25 AM
This has been posted many many times.

does that mean we should only be able to see it if we've kept up with the site as if we had no life and post here over 6,000 times?

jackson vile
11-02-2009, 06:12 AM
does that mean we should only be able to see it if we've kept up with the site as if we had no life and post here over 6,000 times?

I agree, 90% of the postings on here have been posted many times!

jefferson
11-02-2009, 03:19 PM
I like the footwork drills. The juggling and step up at the same time looks like fun compared to just regular step ups!
thanks for sharing. It is hard to believe a link that has been posted so many and I still didn't see it! If it is not on the first page of threads I dont see it!!
thanks again

TennisD
11-02-2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwh0GfA_eo

Just shows the intense and unconventional training habits of the current no.1 player in the world when he was a junior. He does a mixture of strength, speed, and hand eye coordination routines that I've never seen before. Pretty cool.

If you guys know who the other player is let me know.
Interesting video, but none of this stuff is "unconvential" by any means. In fact some of it is a bit outdated and several of the drills are being run at half pace, possibly for the sake of the video. Still kinda fun to watch though.

Knightmace
11-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Anybody who is the guy training with Federer

Bernie Mac
11-03-2009, 12:21 AM
with the weights, he's doing them so quickly isn't that not very good for your muscles? wouldn't be better for your muscles if you do them slowly and give them time? like wouldn't you damage the muscles in that sense?

Andres
11-03-2009, 03:17 AM
What the hell are those yellow balls at 1:21?? :D:D

boojay
11-03-2009, 08:44 AM
As mentioned by previous poster(s), this vid has been posted before, but it's nice to share with others so people they can gain an appreciation that even the GOAT had to put in his dues.

I find it interesting that Fed's body physique hasn't really changed all that much, even to this day.

Thiseas
11-03-2009, 10:45 AM
What the hell are those yellow balls at 1:21?? :D:D

http://www.tennis planet.fr/onlinetenniss h o p/pn/tbt421/name/tyger-z-balle-douce-10cm/
get rid of the spaces

OJ ROD
11-04-2009, 07:12 AM
http://www.tennis planet.fr/onlinetenniss h o p/pn/tbt421/name/tyger-z-balle-douce-10cm/
get rid of the spaces

You could probably get something similar at a petshop, gag store, or even out of one those grocery store quarter bubbles.

siddharta
11-05-2009, 02:44 AM
This video is all show and ********! They are not even sweating.

I've been a pro player and take it for me. If you want to become real good you have to work hard. Do a lot of sprinting off court and leg training in the gym. Ans do it day in day out year end long.

There are no special training techniques which will do wonders. What a joke!

kOaMaster
11-05-2009, 02:49 AM

I've been a pro player and take it for me. If you want to become real good you have to work hard. Do a lot of sprinting off court and leg training in the gym. Ans do it day in day out year end long.

ehm...he was doing more or less the same in this video. just with some (maybe appreciated) variety.

siddharta
11-05-2009, 02:59 AM
The same? They are standing still all the time. And what is with these bs elastics and weird bouncing balls? I mean that you just have to do the simple running stuff.

If you want to practice eye-hand coordination, go stand at the net (with a racquet in your hand!) (always practice most similar to real play) and let 2 other guys at the other side of the net beat the hell out of you.
Or practice return of serve. Let your trainer serve from mid-court to you and return from the baseline.

Rob_C
11-05-2009, 03:02 AM
The same? They are standing still all the time. And what is with these bs elastics and weird bouncing balls? I mean that you just have to do the simple running stuff.

If you want to practice eye-hand coordination, go stand at the net (with a racquet in your hand!) (always practice most similar to real play) and let 2 other guys at the other side of the net beat the hell out of you.
Or practice return of serve. Let your trainer serve from mid-court to you and return from the baseline.

And we know your training methods were more effective because????

Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!

raiden031
11-05-2009, 03:17 AM

You're right, Federer was wasting his time with those training methods. Maybe if he followed your routine, he'd have won 20 slams already!

siddharta
11-05-2009, 03:23 AM
Wow! A lot of hostility here.

You miss the point I am making. Federer is absolutely fenomenal and one of the best athletes tennis have known.

I am just saying that he has become so great due to simple training techniques and not these phony methods. He has done his workouts for hours and hours off court and pushing all the time.

I just red these comments about this video and felt the need to tell you how he really has become so great and that has nothing to do with the training methods shown in this video.

I also saw one lately from Nadal, also phony.

nfor304
11-05-2009, 03:28 AM

I dont know if were a pro or not... but i'm willing to bet you were nowhere near as good a pro as Federer.

Clearly this is just a snapshot of his training. He doesn't really just train for 3 mins and 46 secs.

In this more recent article he's doing some unconventional stuff too:
http://tennis.com/yourgame/fitness/fitness.aspx?id=835

nfor304
11-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Anybody who is the guy training with Federer

Looks a bit like Bjorn Phau

raiden031
11-05-2009, 03:38 AM
I am just saying that he has become so great due to simple training techniques and not these phony methods. He has done his workouts for hours and hours off court and pushing all the time.

So are you saying Federer never used the phony methods demonstrated in the video? Can you prove that these methods are phony and worthless? It doesn't make sense to me that Federer would be filmed training with methods that are useless and not part of his training regimen.

siddharta
11-05-2009, 03:42 AM
The video is a promo for an incompetent trainer and has nothing to do with Federer.

Never mind, I tried..

raiden031
11-05-2009, 03:45 AM
The video is a promo for an incompetent trainer and has nothing to do with Federer.

Never mind, I tried..

So who is the trainer? Are you saying he never worked with Federer other than for this video?

Omega_7000
11-05-2009, 03:58 AM

Never mind, I tried..

You tried and you failed!

siddharta
11-05-2009, 04:03 AM
@ Raiden 031

Proof? Just look how Federer is moving on court for 4 hours + in a match. That kind of fitness takes a lot of hard work. To become so fit you also need your resting periods. Hence, the time you are practicing must be used efficiently. Don't think he is wasting his time with these methods. If Federer can play such intens tennis in a match for 4hours + think about what kind of work out that will take to match that or even push further..

I can tell you something about trainers and training techniques. Practicing is not so dificult. You need just some basic techniques ( I am assuming now that the pupil is already 16-17 years old and his technique has already developed, like Federer in the vid).

However, some (bad) trainers want to make themself important and they create all these kind of difficult, unconventional training methods. They are not close as being as efficient as the simple techniques but it looks as if the trainer knows a lot. Don't let them fool you.

The main job of a coach must be to motivate his pupil and to build his confidence to the max. The simple training techniques I can learn you in a day. But to do them consequently day in day out year end long needs a good coach and a tough pupil.

raiden031
11-05-2009, 04:18 AM
@ Raiden 031

Proof? Just look how Federer is moving on court for 4 hours + in a match. That kind of fitness takes a lot of hard work. To become so fit you also need your resting periods. Hence, the time you are practicing must be used efficiently. Don't think he is wasting his time with these methods. If Federer can play such intens tennis in a match for 4hours + think about what kind of work out that will take to match that or even push further..

I can tell you something about trainers and training techniques. Practicing is not so dificult. You need just some basic techniques ( I am assuming now that the pupil is already 16-17 years old and his technique has already developed, like Federer in the vid).

However, some (bad) trainers want to make themself important and they create all these kind of difficult, unconventional training methods. They are not close as being as efficient as the simple techniques but it looks as if the trainer knows a lot. Don't let them fool you.

The main job of a coach must be to motivate his pupil and to build his confidence to the max. The simple training techniques I can learn you in a day. But to do them consequently day in day out year end long needs a good coach and a tough pupil.

I didn't expect a 3 minute video to show his entire workout, but just a glimpse of some of the things he does. Again you haven't answered my question on who this trainer is and what his relationship with Federer was.

If this was just a promo for his services and he didn't actually work with Federer, then I will believe you. But so far I can only assume that Federer did the things in the video as part of his training.

siddharta
11-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Well, believe what you want to believe..

Most people want to believe there is a way to make quick easy money or that due some unconventional training techniques which is not used by them already or the competition will make them a grand slam winner.

If you want to believe that you will become a great player due to these methods, go ahead. I just say it's all about hours and hours of sweating eating **** and work your *** off. It's not about a tennis ball which bounces in a wrong direction.. lol.

raiden031
11-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Well, believe what you want to believe..

Most people want to believe there is a way to make quick easy money or that due some unconventional training techniques which is not used by them already or the competition will make them a grand slam winner.

If you want to believe that you will become a great player due to these methods, go ahead. I just say it's all about hours and hours of sweating eating **** and work your *** off. It's not about a tennis ball which bounces in a wrong direction.. lol.

Did Federer or did Federer not spend any significant amount of time working with the trainer in the video? If you are so sure of yourself, why can't you answer the question?

siddharta
11-05-2009, 04:44 AM
I don't know who that trainer is. If you understand me then you should know that that doesn't matter.

Maybe you should call him and then you can practice hitting three balls bouncing the wrong way.

nfor304
11-05-2009, 04:48 AM
You seem to be operating under the assumption that this video represents ALL Federer does for his training. I dont think anybody else thinks that.

I think the point of the video is to be a snapshot of some of the things Federer does, and as such they edited in the most unconventional stuff because it is the most interesting to average joes like all of us.

They didn't edit in the normal stuff like hitting from the baseline or sprinting and running and hitting targets with his serve because everyone already knows thats how the pro's train.

I'm willing to believe Federer did do stuff like he is doing in the vid, because most of the things in that vid aren't that unconventional. That rubber band thing your talking about is used all the time. That Clint Thomson guy who is a Challenger level pro said in his thread that he see's Nalbandian use it all the time. If you look up pre season training vid's of NBA players or NFL players you will see them using the same thing. There's also many video's of Henin using the rubber band thing.

Just because you dont believe in these methods and you dont think they are effective doesn't mean they have no value.

raiden031
11-05-2009, 05:00 AM
I don't know who that trainer is. If you understand me then you should know that that doesn't matter.

Maybe you should call him and then you can practice hitting three balls bouncing the wrong way.

Of course it matters. Remember this claim you made...

Never mind, I tried..

You make a wild claim that this video is phony and that the trainer is incompetent and that these methods did not contribute to Federer's success. Yet you provide absolutely no evidence to back up these claims other than because you said so. I'm not trying to say these methods are the best way to train, but as an objective observer I have no reason to believe that what you are saying is correct until you back up your statements with facts.