PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Customizations..

rk_sports
10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I see a lot of players doing Racquet Customizations and found no specific thread that helps those of us who are curious/new to it :)

1. What's the aim to add weight? -
(make it headlight/even-weight/etc or arm-friendly/more power/control/etc)
2. Racquet model? -
3. How much weight added? -
4. Added where? -

Thanks!!

kingdaddy41788
10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Well your aim when adding weight really is more what you're trying to do for YOUR racquet. I used to customize my flexpoint prestige mids by adding weight at the top of the head because it didn't feel as solid as it should. But it's really more personal preference and feel than anything else.

skiracer55
10-29-2009, 11:57 AM
...a couple of years back re adding weight to a racket. You have to figure out what's the right answer for your racket and your game, but this article generally discussed the differences re adding weight to different parts of the frame (3 and 9, head, bottom, and so forth...)...

rk_sports
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
...a couple of years back re adding weight to a racket. You have to figure out what's the right answer for your racket and your game, but this article generally discussed the differences re adding weight to different parts of the frame (3 and 9, head, bottom, and so forth...)...

Agreed! I saw it. I'm interested in details from players who did it

Bagumbawalla
10-30-2009, 03:49 PM
The very fact that you are asking this question leads me to believe that you should not be modifying your racket (at least at this point).

First of all, unlike the "old days", you can buy every good brand of racket in an almost unlimited variety of weights, balances, flex, thickness and, sometimes, length. So there is not much reason to buy a racket with certain characteristics and then modify them to something else.

Better than making changes to your racket, get some demos and see what characteristics you like best- then just buy that racket.

If you don't like the racket you have, and cannot afford another- well there is only so much you can do- you can't change its stiffness or beam width, and shortening or lengthening would be drastic.

Players who have been playing for years at a high level and are confident in and content with their style and knowledgable about their needs may consider some modifcation to fine-tune their racket.

If you are the least bit unsure of what you want, and why you want it, then, yes, just try different rackets.

rk_sports
10-30-2009, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Bagumbawalla;4068092]The very fact that you are asking this question leads me to believe that you should not be modifying your racket (at least at this point).

First of all, unlike the "old days", you can buy every good brand of racket in an almost unlimited variety of weights, balances, flex, thickness and, sometimes, length. So there is not much reason to buy a racket with certain characteristics and then modify them to something else.

Better than making changes to your racket, get some demos and see what characteristics you like best- then just buy that racket.

If you don't like the racket you have, and cannot afford another- well there is only so much you can do- you can't change its stiffness or beam width, and shortening or lengthening would be drastic.

Players who have been playing for years at a high level and are confident in and content with their style and knowledgable about their needs may consider some modifcation to fine-tune their racket.

If you are the least bit unsure of what you want, and why you want it, then, yes, just try different QUOTE]

Thanks! I agree to the central philosophy of your post. I'm in fact doing what you suggested.. trying various demos.
I'm just curious of what those folks who did/do have tried and what they were trying to achieve .. this is not to get a recommendation to make those changes to my racket!

Bagumbawalla
10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Here are some places to check out.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=84719

http://www99.epinions.com/review/Lead_Tape_NONE/content_247278571140

http://www.ehow.com/how_2093412_customize-tennis-racquet.html

I did not check through the information- some may be good and others, maybe, not so much.

At least here are some places to get started.

2ndServe
10-31-2009, 02:57 PM
3 and 9 o'clock. Stability, will give you more control, it will decrease the tortional sway when you don't hit it exactly in the middle. And if you decrease the tortional sway you get more power on you less than perfect hits.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
I see a lot of players doing Racquet Customizations and found no specific thread that helps those of us who are curious/new to it :)

1. What's the aim to add weight? -
(make it headlight/even-weight/etc or arm-friendly/more power/control/etc)
2. Racquet model? -
3. How much weight added? -
4. Added where? -

Thanks!!

Maximize power/stability/forgiveness/plow through, increase/maximize spin potential, control your swing, or to make all your frames feel (or play) the same.

Adding weight for the pure reason of making the racket more headlight is pure stupidity. It does nothing unless you're using a head heavy racket, and even so the effects are minimal. You might as well get a different racket. Even counterbalancing isn't nearly as critical as most people think it is, which is why a lot of pros have the balance at 4-6 points headlight. It's not all that uncommon.

Racket model doesn't matter, but usually you want a racket that's headlight, reasonably weighted for whatever customizations you want, and has the flex and feel you want.

How much weight is needed depends on the player the customizations are for. For high level players, you keep going until the swingweight reaches around 360-380. For low level players, you might add a few grams. For intermediates, you might go until your swingweight is around 340-360.

Where you add it depends on the kind of setup you want. If you depolarize it, most of the weight is closer to the center. If you polarize it, the weights are towards the edges of the racket.

And there IS a specific thread about how to depolarize your racket on the forum. I don't remember what section it's in, but it's called "How to depolarize your racket". I think Tricky posted that. Tennis.com also has that post in their forums and was posted by 10s4life.

It's a good thing to try, but you're probably going to screw up big time the first several tries by going for the wrong things. Once you get the hang of it though, you can really make some kickass rackets. I've created 3 monster rackets so far. In those rackets, I knew exactly what I was going for, but only one of them I got right on the first try. The other two took at least 4-6 tries to get them just right, but once I did they became crazy sticks; one generates incredible amounts of pace and added spin, while the other generates incredible amounts of spin, which allowed for additional pace and consistency. My dad adds weight to get the racket to a solid weight class, then slowly adds or removes weight from there until he finds what he likes. As for those where I added minimal weight, I've significantly improved the comfort for one while improving overall playability for the other. First racket I tried to customize was overall a huge failure. It had a lot of power and spin, but it didn't create anything close to what I was looking for cause I was going the wrong way with it. Once I got the hang of it, I got exactly what I wanted (and much more). It just takes some understanding and lots of trial and error.

rk_sports
10-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Now we're talking... thanks a lot folks for links and info

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-01-2009, 01:54 AM
http://www99.epinions.com/review/Lead_Tape_NONE/content_247278571140

That's GOLF lead tape... It's not meant for tennis... My dad tried those once on his racket (he plays golf too) and it was an epic fail. The most you can do with those is use them as counterweights in the buttcap. Even then it's a pain.

paulfreda
11-03-2009, 02:42 AM
That's GOLF lead tape... It's not meant for tennis... My dad tried those once on his racket (he plays golf too) and it was an epic fail.

Curious .............

Could you explain how lead tape can be specific to a sport ?

Why would one not be able to successfully use golf lead tape on a tennis frame ?

FlameYo
11-03-2009, 06:11 AM
The purpose of adding weight is so your racket doesn't get push away by a 75-130mph shot and to avoid racket twist on off center hit.

If this is happening place 2-4 lead strips to Y-Throat(Maintain Balance) of the racket , then remove and try putting 4 strip on the 3 & 9 and 4 handle to maintain balance. This maybe too taxes on your arm, be careful.

More advance racket customizations include: insert handle dampener, grip shrink wrap, grip flatting (You get control without wt. of lead). Your not ready for this.

goran_ace
11-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Curious .............

Why would one not be able to successfully use golf lead tape on a tennis frame ?

It takes a lot of lead to change the swingweight of a golf club. Those pre-cut strips are thicker and wider (and heavier) than the lead tape you would use for tennis. They will not fit easily on a racket and it is harder to fine tune the weight.

goran_ace
11-03-2009, 07:43 AM
You certainly could use a roll of lead foil tape from a golf shop, but it is usually cut wider (e.g. 3/4") so you would then have to trim your segments lengthwise to fit on your racket. Much easier to buy lead from a tennis shop where it is cut 1/4" wide.

eagle
11-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Here you go:

TW Learning Center:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/

TW University:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/index.php

r,
eagle

user92626
11-03-2009, 08:41 AM
If I want to increase my racket swing speed (by adding swing weight?), do I add the tennis specific H lead strip at 12 spot?

What effect is the lead strips at 9 & 3 spots?

paulfreda
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
It takes a lot of lead to change the swingweight of a golf club. Those pre-cut strips are thicker and wider (and heavier) than the lead tape you would use for tennis. They will not fit easily on a racket and it is harder to fine tune the weight.

That is why golf lead tape is better.
There is precious little room on the hoop for lead.
Especially if you do not want to have to remove it for restringing.
So with an exacto knife, one can slice down the center and
get thinner stips yet still have suffiecient grams of weight
in a smalled space.

Rob_C
11-03-2009, 11:33 PM
If I want to increase my racket swing speed (by adding swing weight?), do I add the tennis specific H lead strip at 12 spot?

You cant increase your racket head speed by adding weight, if anything, you'll decrease your racket head speed b/c the racket is heavier, thereby being harder to swing.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Curious .............

The size, ability to gain exactness, and maybe even the glue aren't good enough. It falls off if you hit it and its in like... 6 gram increments?!

That's not even the worst part, they fall off easily too! And because of the thickness, they lose a bit of malleability so you can't as easily put it on the hoop. You need to tie it down too. Haha.

I recommend Gamma's 1/4" width strips. The ones made by Unique also fall off pretty easily and are in 3 gram increments. If you want full control over how your racket will turn out, go with something where you can be more accurate in your measurements.

Well, here's the thing: it only increases speed by increasing momentum, so momentum is built up more easily up towards the top, dragging the rest of the racket along more easily. It will slow your actual swing down slightly, but the effects you generate on the ball are similar to what would happen if you actually increased your wrist action upon the ball in the same direction. So if you have a very loose arm, you generate more work on the ball because you're letting the weight of the racket do most of the work for you, which will be greater than what the player can actually generate on their own. I say it increases racket speed because it creates a serious whippy feeling similar to the racket going faster due to the momentum at the top of the hoop.

Lead at 3&9 increases power and plow through. I suggest most people stick to this method, since it's more straight forward and simple.

That is why golf lead tape is better.
There is precious little room on the hoop for lead.
Especially if you do not want to have to remove it for restringing.
So with an exacto knife, one can slice down the center and
get thinner stips yet still have suffiecient grams of weight
in a smalled space.

Dude... Have you never heard of layering?! You can add far more lead tape to the head without the same problems! You can do 8x3" at 3+9 and get the same weight increment as using golf weights at the same place! Also, doing that with golf weights increases the mass by 24 grams! That's almost a full ounce! Most people don't need anything even close to that much on the head, and not many can even handle that much anyways.

Golf weights=not made for tennis, so don't use them. End of story.

paulfreda
11-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Golf weights=not made for tennis, so don't use them. End of story.

Dogmatic much ? To you it would seem there are ONLY disadvantages to using golf lead tape and no advantages at all.

I do hope a mind as closed and knee jerk sure as yours is not teaching or coaching anywhere.