PDA

View Full Version : Agassi hates tennis

Ledigs
10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
This fact bothers me more than the drug use although I forgive him for both. Also, after reading this article, I think doing drugs is probably more common than not because you can't deal with the lifestyle, pain and pressure without it. You can't deal with becoming a has-been.

Interesting article on the topic:

"I play tennis for a living even though I hate tennis, hate it with a dark and secret passion and always have." So writes Andre Agassi in his new autobiography, Open, published this week. It is 2006 and one of the world's most feted sports stars has just woken up in a New York hotel room, poised to play his last tournament.

But why would a great sportsman hate his sport? Why wouldn't he love everything about it and all it brings to his life travel, glamour, money, mass adoration, endless free tennis rackets and barley water, not to mention the surely sustaining thought that he is doing something for a living that makes many of us sick with envy?

"But it becomes more than a job, it takes over your life," says former British tennis professional Barry Cowan, perhaps best known for taking Agassi's nemesis, Pete Sampras, to five sets in Wimbledon in 2001. "If you're at the top of tennis, you're on tour 30-plus weeks of the year and when you're doing that, everything revolves around tennis. Every decision you make, tennis is at the back of your mind. That's the main reason for burnout among tennis players in their 20s.

"I know this for myself it's something you've done since you were six years old, and there's a sense that if you stop giving 100% you are doomed to failure, and that is unacceptable. No wonder so many players hate their sport the surprise is that so few admit it."

And despite all the kudos, money and silverware, there's a reason it's the top players who suffer most because they're the ones playing the most tennis, as they don't get knocked out in the first or second round. So they have the least free time, the most mental stress and suffer the most physically.

Agassi's avowed hatred for his sport is far from exclusive to tennis. British cyclists Chris Boardman, the former Olympic pursuit champion, and Tour de France star David Millar have both admitted to not really liking cycling. "In Boardman's case," says William Fotheringham, the Guardian's cycling correspondent, "he liked the winning not the cycling itself, and he drove himself to win."

That need to win can become a miserable addiction. Olympic gold-winning track cyclist Victoria Pendleton gave an insight into this in a brutally frank Guardian interview after winning gold at Beijing last year. "I was an emotional wreck beforehand," she admitted. "I worried that I would be the one person who let down the team. So winning was just a relief. And even that felt like a complete anti-climax. It was very surreal on the podium and as soon as I stepped off it I was, like, 'What on earth am I going to do now?' I found it quite hard to deal with. It was, like, I've got no purpose any more."

But it is her answer to the question of how to get out of this psychic void that is most telling: "I soon worked out that the only thing I could do was to get another gold medal. I need one. If 2012 goes to plan, winning the Olympics on my home turf, I might finally feel I've achieved the ultimate for me."

Pendleton's pleasure-free, angst-ridden drive to win is almost a defining characteristic of the greatest sports stars. "People say the pressure on top stars such as Andy Murray is unbelievable," says Cowan, "but I feel the pressure is from the stars themselves. They expect the best and if they don't deliver, it is horrible for them. With a sport like tennis, where at any tournament there can be only one winner, there are going to be a lot of perfectionists having to deal with disappointment. You need to be incredibly mentally strong."

Not all are. Former England cricket all-rounder Vic Marks has a poignant insight into the realities of being an athlete. "Sometimes as a cricketer," he says, "you just long for it to rain." But why? "So you don't have to play. I'm not saying cricketers hate cricket, but when you're playing a county game and the sky darkens and it starts to **** down, it doesn't half fill everybody in the dressing room with joie de vivre."

But surely top-flight players long to show the world how marvellous they are at their chosen discipline? "Not always. When it ****ed it down, you knew were not going to fail that day. Lovely thought. With cricket, perhaps more than any other sport, everything you do is measured and analysed for all time your failures are a matter of enduring public record."

Former professional footballer Stuart James echoes that thought: "Lots of players I know would travel to the ground hoping the game would be cancelled," says the ex-Swindon Town regular. "Fans say: 'You've got it good, you're on hundreds of thousands of pounds a week, so how can you moan?' but most football players think the fans don't really understand what their lives are like."

A terrible fear of failure is one reason the life of the sports star can be rather less than the realisation of a beautiful dream. But there are others: horrendous training schedules, endless travel, foul fans, boredom and lack of privacy. "I remember being underwhelmed when I was selected to go on tour for England," Marks recalls. "People said what a bloody cynical and churlish response that was but the prospect of being away for four to five months is not necessarily very appealing. Everybody thinks it must be so wonderful to spend the winter in the Caribbean or Australia, but it's not when you're away from your family and you're standing outside for eight hours five days straight."

There have been many English cricketers who have refused the supposed delights of the winter tour, but none more celebrated than Marcus Trescothick, the England batsman whose stress-related illness forced him to pull out of the national squad in 2006. "With Trescothick, there's no one who was more consumed by cricket than him," says Marks, the chairman of Trescothick's county, Somerset. "It had been his life since he was six, and that may well have made the stress worse to the point he had to take drastic measures to get away from Test cricket."

Mental stress
Agassi's biography reveals that he snorted crystal meth from a coffee table at his home in 1997, when suffering a lack of form and worrying about his impending marriage to actor Brooke Shields. "There is a moment of regret followed by vast sadness," he writes of the drug-taking experience. "Then comes a tidal wave of euphoria that sweeps away every negative thought in my head. I've never felt so alive, so hopeful and I've never felt such energy."

As this passage implies, mental stress isn't the only major reason sports stars suffer more than the rest of us are generally prepared to admit. In his autobiography, Agassi describes the sheer difficulty of getting out bed one morning towards the end of his tennis career. "I'm a young man, relatively speaking. Thirty-six. But I wake as if 96. After two decades of sprinting, stopping on a dime, jumping high and landing hard, my body no longer feels like my body. Consequently, my mind no longer feels like my mind."

That passage will resonate for any player nearing the end of their career, with a body once in prime condition now a bundle of aches and pains that prefigures more intense physical suffering in later life.

"Freddie got a sense of that before he retired," says Vic Marks of the England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, whose Test career ended earlier this year. "He could still do the bowling, but the batting suffered."

"The incentive to play for England is so high you'd do anything," Flintoff admitted recently. "Some mornings the missus had to get me out of bed and put my shoes and socks on for me. You then get the anti-inflammatories inside you, and a painkiller, and off you go . . . For me, a big achievement was just actually getting out on a cricket field. I've had six operations in four-and-a-half years and two-and-a-half of those years were in rehab. I've been injured since I was 13. I had back problems all the way through."

part 1

Ledigs
10-29-2009, 11:12 AM
part 2

Flintoff, of course, is a national icon, all-but-universally liked. The same isn't true of Derby County captain Robbie Savage, who earlier this week went public about some of the more horrible things that he has endured from football fans off the pitch. In Britain, football stars more than any other kind of sportsman or woman are likely to suffer foul abuse (think of what England fans chanted at David Beckham after a match against Portugal: "Your wife's a *****, and we hope your kid dies of cancer"), but none more so in recent years than Savage.

The former Welsh international told Radio 5 Live that he could put up with what he called "dog's abuse" from the terraces and conceded it even fired him up to play better. What he couldn't tolerate was death threats, having the windows at his home broken, having coins thrown at him as he left the pitch. He recalled that once, when he was playing for Birmingham City, he was visiting the NEC with his son when an Aston Villa fan spat at him in the face. "I was out with my little boy. That's got to be out of order, hasn't it?" You'd hope so, but the horrible truth is that many of us who aren't sports stars are immune to taking their feelings or lives seriously.

And even the former England and Aston Villa manager Graham Taylor takes an unsympathetic view of Agassi's revelations. "I'm not certain writing about how he doesn't like playing tennis is a good idea. We're all human beings, but generally speaking I have not got a lot of time for those people who complain about playing professional sport for a living."

There is, a horrible coda to this story of sporting misery. In his 2007 book Silence of the Heart: Cricket Suicides, historian David Frith wrote that cricket has a suicide rate that exceeds the national averages for the respective cricketing nations, and estimated that more than one in 150 professional cricketers have taken their own lives, among them the great Yorkshire and England wicketkeeper David Bairstow, who killed himself in 1998. Why? Frith concluded that cricket is an all-consuming endlessly absorbing sport and after retirement the thought of life without cricket is intolerable.

The mental and physical pain of playing sport and being at the top of your game may be bad enough, but the existential horror of realising at the end of your career that you are no longer part of that world is surely worse. Perhaps, unlike Agassi, these players didn't hate their chosen sport. More likely, they loved it too much."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/29/andre-agassi-hate-tennis/print

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Why all the Agassi hate lately!?!? :evil::evil:
He is one of the greatest ever !
A perfect spokesman, rolemodel and inspiration.

sureshs
10-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Life for cricket batsman is much more difficult. They could go in there as an opener, and be out in one ball with a duck. In tennis, if you miss one ball, you have a thousand more coming your way.

Agassi protests too much. Or maybe it is a publicity stunt to sell his book. It would not be very interesting to learn that Agassi loves tennis, would it?

Meaghan
10-29-2009, 11:30 AM
No hate from me, he took some drugs like most of us and like most of us when we take drugs, the next days tennis match goes like a bomb, we play real poo.
This is not some performance enhancing drug, its stupid taking CM, its like me at home thinking im off for the rest of the week....how much wine and cigs do i think i can get thro??
Good on him for not being super man and being vulnerable to stuff, and remember he never won his GS high on meth did he.
This as we all know is to sell his book and I for one have been suckered in to it and cant wait til its on the shelves.

Ledigs
10-29-2009, 11:40 AM
This thread is about him hating tennis. There are like 5 other meth threads if you want to discuss that. sorry if i am rude

CCNM
10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Why all the Agassi hate lately!?!? :evil::evil:
He is one of the greatest ever !
A perfect spokesman, rolemodel and inspiration.

I don't hate Andre (and never did). I personally am disappointed in him. Also I do not plan on feeling sorry for him. So cricket players have a high suicide rate? That's pretty sad....

OTMPut
10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Life for cricket batsman is much more difficult. They could go in there as an opener, and be out in one ball with a duck. In tennis, if you miss one ball, you have a thousand more coming your way.

Agassi protests too much. Or maybe it is a publicity stunt to sell his book. It would not be very interesting to learn that Agassi loves tennis, would it?

Fat, beer bellied jokers can be world class batsmen in that sport.

Not so in tennis.

MuseFan
10-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Roger and Rafa don't hate tennis at all.

Tyrus
10-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Sports Illustrated did an article on this:

"Stefanie and I talk for the first time about tennis. When i tell her I hate it, she turns to me with a look that says 'of course. Doesn't everybody'"

It does eat away at your body, Agassi had Spondylolisthesis(basically a lower vertebrae that slips out of place). His father berated and hustled him into playing (mental drain).

"I hate it with all my heart, and still i keep playing...This gap, this contradiction between what I want to do and what I actually do feels like the core of my life."

The SI article gives some insight into it. I don't think he's lying when he said he hated tennis, but do i hate him for it? absolutely not.

rosenstar
10-30-2009, 06:23 AM
I completely understand that. He was pretty much forced into it when he was a kid. Think of everything he gave up for tennis. No senior prom, no parties, no college football games, no normal life. The kid grew up in front of the entire world. Every mistake on the court was scrutinized by a coach, every other mistake was blown out of propertion by his father. It was painfully obvious from his attitude that he was a "caged soul."

Think of everything from your childhood that you truly enjoyed. Your friends birthday parties, having fun at the park, playing other sports, and all around just being a kid. Andre couldn't do this. He started his career when he was 5, and he had no off season, and no one to relate to. I don't think many people understand what is required to have a career like that.

And to everyone who talks about all the travel and tennis he got to play, it's not glorious. I bet his father was furious when he payed for a month of training, and traveled 100 miles to go to a tournament that Andre lost first round. That's not fun. When he traveled, it was a business trip, there was no sight seeing.

Andre completely missed out on his childhood, that's why he's so bitter towards the sport.

settolove
10-30-2009, 06:42 AM
It's hardly surprising really. He was forced into it by his father (who sounds like one heck of an SOB), sadly there seem to be more of these kinds of "showbiz parents" coming into the sport. Who are too busy living their dreams through their kids to let their kids be kids.

Ledigs
10-30-2009, 09:36 AM
I completely understand that. He was pretty much forced into it when he was a kid. Think of everything he gave up for tennis. No senior prom, no parties, no college football games, no normal life. The kid grew up in front of the entire world. Every mistake on the court was scrutinized by a coach, every other mistake was blown out of propertion by his father. It was painfully obvious from his attitude that he was a "caged soul."

Think of everything from your childhood that you truly enjoyed. Your friends birthday parties, having fun at the park, playing other sports, and all around just being a kid. Andre couldn't do this. He started his career when he was 5, and he had no off season, and no one to relate to. I don't think many people understand what is required to have a career like that.

And to everyone who talks about all the travel and tennis he got to play, it's not glorious. I bet his father was furious when he payed for a month of training, and traveled 100 miles to go to a tournament that Andre lost first round. That's not fun. When he traveled, it was a business trip, there was no sight seeing.

Andre completely missed out on his childhood, that's why he's so bitter towards the sport.

Okay I see this somewhat, but once you are 18, you have to start studying hard and working hard. Everyone's life gets really hard at this point. A few years of childhood memories really don't help out too much when you are a cubicle monkey. At least he is making millions and can choose to do something else at age 25.

Ledigs
10-30-2009, 09:36 AM
But Steffi also hates tennis? And supposedly everyone on the tour does? That's disappointing

sureshs
10-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Not so in tennis.

Correct. I was talking about the all/none outcome.

sureshs
10-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Famous guy who hated tennis was Lendl. Gave up the game for good (almost) after retirement and started golf, and steered all his daughters to golf.

sureshs
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
A few years of childhood memories really don't help out too much when you are a cubicle monkey.

You know, that is one piece of good insight.

el sergento
10-30-2009, 10:11 AM
...................SOMEONE HATES THEIR JOB!!

Don't we all??

RCizzle65
10-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Federer mentioned he hoped the finals of the US Open against Del Potro would be a fun match after his match with Djokovic, and he said he had a fun time against Djokovic....do you think he hates tennis? How about Nadal, I think others have posted here he likes the challenge more than the sport.

dh003i
10-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Federer mentioned he hoped the finals of the US Open against Del Potro would be a fun match after his match with Djokovic, and he said he had a fun time against Djokovic....do you think he hates tennis? How about Nadal, I think others have posted here he likes the challenge more than the sport.

Federer and Nadal certainly love the sport, although both have at times been stressed by the insanely high standards set for them and that they have for themselves. Fortunately, Fed has 15 slams and no-longer has anything to prove, it's all icing from here; you could tell he was more relaxed in losing the USO after it, although he was still pretty intense during it.

But these guys clearly love the sport, at least from what we can tell. I suspect this is because they weren't forced into it by their family, and had wonderful supporting parents or family.

NickC
10-30-2009, 03:16 PM
I understand where Andre is coming from, but that doesn't mean that I haven't lost a bit of respect for him. Now that I realize that all the smiles and joy he showed on the court out of love for competition and love for the game was fake and just for show, I can't like him as much as I did before. I still respect him as a player, but as someone who only dreams about playing at a high level, let alone winning slams, I can't say I like him as much as I did beforehand. Did I know that this was coming? Yeah, it's pretty obvious, based on how he grew up. But am I still somewhat upset? F*ck yes.

A true let-down in every sense of the word.

Chadwixx
10-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Yet flew to the other side of the world to play pete in an exo last weekend...

crazylevity
10-30-2009, 04:03 PM
^^ Cha-ching....

Money is a greater motivator than anything else.

CyBorg
10-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I understand where Andre is coming from, but that doesn't mean that I haven't lost a bit of respect for him. Now that I realize that all the smiles and joy he showed on the court out of love for competition and love for the game was fake and just for show, I can't like him as much as I did before. I still respect him as a player, but as someone who only dreams about playing at a high level, let alone winning slams, I can't say I like him as much as I did beforehand. Did I know that this was coming? Yeah, it's pretty obvious, based on how he grew up. But am I still somewhat upset? F*ck yes.

A true let-down in every sense of the word.

Did you read the book? We know that Agassi had his troubles for a long while, but he clearly rediscovered himself sometime in the late 90s and found a way to enjoy himself to some extent.

Most of the quotes that we're getting now seem to be taken out of context by posters.

Read the book, then judge.

Enlightened Coelacanth
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
The genius of Agassi has always been in winning in spite of himself, and he's done much to sabotage his own career.
It isn't too strong at all to say Agassi has hated tennis, at many many times, and has said so.

And though I'm sure he appreciates where it's taken him, what is someone in his position doing taking crystal meth??? He has serious issues that no smiling, blowing kisses and bowing can erase.

rosenstar
10-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Okay I see this somewhat, but once you are 18, you have to start studying hard and working hard. Everyone's life gets really hard at this point. A few years of childhood memories really don't help out too much when you are a cubicle monkey. At least he is making millions and can choose to do something else at age 25.

first of all I completely disagree with the bolded statement. College is one of the greatest experiences a teenager/young adult can go through. If you'r studying material that you like, it's not a chore.

Personally, I would MUCH rather go through my 4/5 years of college, and get a job making 40-50k out of school than training 6 hours a day for 20 years, and making millions later. I don't think you understand the degree of the sacrifice you'd make. No dances and no parties. You can't play other sports because of the possibility for injury. You won't make any real friends; you're traveling too much to keep in touch with kids from your home and all the kids you meet through tennis are competitors who are more interested in winning matches than socializing.

Another possible scenario: lets say Agassi's career didn't turn out the way it did. Say Agassi got injured when he was 18 or so and couldn't play at a professional level (this is a common scenario by the way). Then Agassi's father would be nothing more than a crazy tennis parent who ruined his son's childhood.

I really don't think you understand the sacrifice agassi made to get to that level, and it was even worse because it wasn't his choice, it was his father's.

Ledigs
10-30-2009, 05:02 PM
I do understand. I specifically said I wasn't just talking about Agassi. I don't need you to tell me what I "don't understand". And no getting a job making 40k after graduating is not better than becoming a millionaire.

Also many of us had heavier upbringings than just dances and parties. If you don't have money you work extremely hard to PAY for college. At least he had a father. At 18 he could quit. You sound like a spoiled brat.

nfor304
10-30-2009, 05:20 PM

Even if you did that you can still end up winning that very same match.

rosenstar
10-31-2009, 12:19 PM
I do understand. I specifically said I wasn't just talking about Agassi. I don't need you to tell me what I "don't understand". And no getting a job making 40k after graduating is not better than becoming a millionaire.

Also many of us had heavier upbringings than just dances and parties. If you don't have money you work extremely hard to PAY for college. At least he had a father. At 18 he could quit. You sound like a spoiled brat.

I'd rather enjoy the best years of my life and get a job I enjoy working for 40-50k, and hopefully move up the ranks, eventually making enough money to start my own family than go through what agassi did. And if his family could afford to put him through that tennis program, than I'm sure they could afford to put him through any college they wanted.

Basically, all I am trying to say is that there are millions of people in the world who hate their jobs, and it sounds like Agassi was one of them. Yes, playing professional tennis is a job. I am an engineer, I enjoy math and physics, I would be miserable if I was in a law office all day reading briefs. From what I have observed, Agassi is much happier now working with people outside of tennis than he ever was in the game. Why can't you just accept that something like that is a more enjoyable job for Agassi, just as engineering is to me?

And to refer to your previous comment:

Agassi's life was hard for 15 years before that. He was forced into a profession that he disliked when he was 5. It doesn't matter how envious you are of his job, If he doesn't enjoy it, it's no good. You might enjoy having you're life revolve around tennis, but that might not have been for him. Of course only he knows how much he did/didn't enjoy it.

Hopefully I have better explained my understanding of the topic and no longer sound like a "spoiled brat."

pame
10-31-2009, 12:54 PM

Not so in tennis.

You must've been watching cricket in the 1800's or a Saturday game between two local teams. Outside of Geoff Boycott, I can't think of any portly beer bellied-jokers at the professional level.. the same batsmen who have to have the reflexes and athletic ability to take a zinging catch at slip or gully, or run halfway round the boundary to stop the ball going for four!

Oh and IO forgot to mention, that with all the limited overs cricket being played, the necessity ro run sharp singles has increased exponentially - and don't tell me you don't have to be fighting fit to do that successfuly. Heavens, even Usain Bolt (yes THE Usain Bolt) playing in a charity match a couple of months ago, ironically got RUN OUT. So no, your pot-bellied pros are a figment of your imagination.

taffymoon
11-01-2009, 12:46 AM
I just feel he is stripping himself bare for the bucks. And, I don't know how much truth there is in all this, but something I do know is, he's not the man I thought he was.

David L
11-01-2009, 03:11 AM
This fact bothers me more than the drug use although I forgive him for both.
Haha, the audacity. As if he needs forgiveness from you. It's rather presumptuous of you to assume you have the authority to forgive someone who has no obligations towards you.

sureshs
11-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Pussies who are scared of hard balls being hurled at their heads can succeed in tennis.

Not so in cricket.

Whats your point?

And cricket players are not scared? Helmets with face guards, gloves, elbow pads, abdominal pads, thigh pads, knee pads - doesn't seem like someone who can face a heavy ball bravely. Anything more and they would not be able to move.

Ledigs
11-02-2009, 06:05 AM
I'd rather enjoy the best years of my life and get a job I enjoy working for 40-50k, and hopefully move up the ranks, eventually making enough money to start my own family than go through what agassi did. And if his family could afford to put him through that tennis program, than I'm sure they could afford to put him through any college they wanted.

Basically, all I am trying to say is that there are millions of people in the world who hate their jobs, and it sounds like Agassi was one of them. Yes, playing professional tennis is a job. I am an engineer, I enjoy math and physics, I would be miserable if I was in a law office all day reading briefs. From what I have observed, Agassi is much happier now working with people outside of tennis than he ever was in the game. Why can't you just accept that something like that is a more enjoyable job for Agassi, just as engineering is to me?

And to refer to your previous comment:

Agassi's life was hard for 15 years before that. He was forced into a profession that he disliked when he was 5. It doesn't matter how envious you are of his job, If he doesn't enjoy it, it's no good. You might enjoy having you're life revolve around tennis, but that might not have been for him. Of course only he knows how much he did/didn't enjoy it.

Hopefully I have better explained my understanding of the topic and no longer sound like a "spoiled brat."

My point is that many people have much harder childhoods than Agassi had. He just sounds like he is whining. I understand he may hate tennis, but to whine about having to practice tennis all day is really kind of ridiculous. Many people don't even have food to eat, or their parents are sick, or they are sexually abused, or in poverty... I just don't see how this is supposed to make it okay for him to do something over and over again that he hates. After the first 5 million, why doesn't he just quit?

rosenstar
11-02-2009, 07:45 AM
My point is that many people have much harder childhoods than Agassi had. He just sounds like he is whining. I understand he may hate tennis, but to whine about having to practice tennis all day is really kind of ridiculous. Many people don't even have food to eat, or their parents are sick, or they are sexually abused, or in poverty...

This is true, and I don't think Agassi was arguing that, but I don't think it was ridiculous, and I don't think this is meaningless whining. It just came out that his father had him take speed before a match, to boost his performance, in a junior tournament. Does that sound like a healthy childhood to you? I'm not a psychologist, but I'm sure this is some form of child abuse. And playing 3-6 hours, 5+ days a week is a lot. It's not like he's complaining about going to school, or doing chores around the house; he's been on a professional training regiment since he was 5. I don't see how you don't consider this a problem. Would you force your son into a sport that he hated just because you loved seeing him win? And not just playing at a club level, but at a full blown nearly professional level? That's crazy.

I just don't see how this is supposed to make it okay for him to do something over and over again that he hates. After the first 5 million, why doesn't he just quit?

Well, he did quit, many times, he gave up in matches, admitting to not preparing correctly, and at one point dropped off the map and apparently started doing meth. That sounds like quitting to me. And how are you supposed to make a living with no formal education, and no clue how to invest or what to do with this money you have? 5 million can be spent really quickly.

you're making it sound like he had one minor hardship, and the rest of his life was given to him. That's not the case. If he was a player who seemed to enjoy the sport, and just hated practicing, or had an "Allen Iverson attitude," then I'd agree with you, but he was forced into this against his will by his family? What do you recommend he do? Save up money, leave and go to college? Do you think he even knows how to function in a class room setting? His father had him drop out of high school to play tennis, I don't think he had a realistic choice of taking any other route.

I don't think this is some pampered celebrity whining about his childhood, I think he was molded by his childhood, to the point where he doesn't know what else to do with his life. I'm looking forward to reading the book and hearing Andre's side of the story in detail.

sureshs
11-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Can his father be tried now for child abuse? Forcing illegal drugs on minors is certainly grounds for locking up somebody. Is there a statute of limitations for this?

tennisdad65
11-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Imagine how good Agassi would have been if he actually loved the game :)

HoVa
11-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Look beyond just what agassi says when he says "hates"

Think of his childhood and his dad hustling him.
Think of the failures that are magnified.
Think of the physical pain of being on tour.

Its not so much he hates TENNIS, but all of the demands of the sport and the past bad memories that have revolved AROUND it.

All the guy knows IS tennis.

LiveForever
11-02-2009, 08:20 AM
This really upsets me. I really looked up to Agassi and I love tennis. To find out that Agassi hates the sport is really disappointing. One thing you gotta love about Federer is that he truly loves tennis.

rosenstar
11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Look beyond just what agassi says when he says "hates"

Think of his childhood and his dad hustling him.
Think of the failures that are magnified.
Think of the physical pain of being on tour.

Its not so much he hates TENNIS, but all of the demands of the sport and the past bad memories that have revolved AROUND it.

All the guy knows IS tennis.

agreed, that's what I was trying to say.

This really upsets me. I really looked up to Agassi and I love tennis. To find out that Agassi hates the sport is really disappointing. One thing you gotta love about Federer is that he truly loves tennis.

The difference (as I understand it) is that Federer chose to play tennis, Agassi had no such choice. It's ashame Agassi couldn't discover tennis on his own.

basil J
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
the reality is that this guy lost a boat load of money with an Idaho ski resort that never got off the ground and he took a $4 million dollar advance for this book. Sensationalism sells and he is the "vegas guy", the king of image. peronally I think a lot of the stuff in this book is probably inflated with the intention of moving books.

tudwell
11-02-2009, 12:16 PM
It's kind of pathetic to see Agassi whoring himself out to the media lately.

Ledigs
11-02-2009, 12:42 PM
If his whole life was tennis and he hates it, then he hates his life