PDA

View Full Version : Question for TennisMom42 ?

atatu
10-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Is it worth it ? You got your son into a D1 school and enjoyed "the journey" but would you do it again ? Or should you have just banked the money and told your son to concentrate on academics so he could get into a great school that you could pay for ? I'm just asking because I can see my 10 year old getting swept into this and I would like to know what you think....

tennismom42
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Is it worth it ? You got your son into a D1 school and enjoyed "the journey" but would you do it again ? Or should you have just banked the money and told your son to concentrate on academics so he could get into a great school that you could pay for ? I'm just asking because I can see my 10 year old getting swept into this and I would like to know what you think....I am doing it again, sort of. 42 stands for "for two," but he's quite young and so far lacks the "hunger" the first one had.

Hmmm, had I banked the money I didn't have in the first place (credit cards)?? I truly believe my son would have been in trouble with the law by now, had he not done tennis. Just too much energy and his HS is full of druggies, alcoholics and other abhorrent behaviors.

If your son has the drive for tennis, on & off the court, does his academic homework, and takes ownership of managing his tennis, then, "yes, do it." But don't let him run you over or be one of those kids that just shows up. Unfortunately a lot of young men have few role models now days. They can't even spit out the school bus window or carry a pocket knife any more. Crimeny, what's this pansy-sniffing country coming to?

Boys need ways to flex their muscles, get rid of that Testosterone energy. I think it's OK, once in a while, for them to get mad, hatchet a racquet or five, kick a fence, scream, and work their way through it. Guess what, life is full of trials, conflict, disagreements, unethical people, unfairness, lazy people. Why not learn to deal with it early, through the guarded situations of tennis.

atatu
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
I am doing it again, sort of. 42 stands for "for two," but he's quite young and so far lacks the "hunger" the first one had.

If your son has the drive for it, on & off the court, does his academic homework, and takes ownership of managing his tennis, then, "yes, do it." But don't let he run you over or be one of those kids that just shows up. Unfortunately a lot of young men have few role models now days. They can't even spit out the school bus window or carry a pocket knife any more. Crimeny, what's this pansy-sniffing country coming to?

Boys need ways to flex their muscles, get rid of that Testosterone energy. I think it's OK, once in a while, for them to get mad, hatchet a racquet or five, kick a fence, scream, and work their way through it. Guess what, life is full of trials, conflict, disagreements, unethical people, unfairness, lazy people. Why not learn to deal with it early, through the guarded situations of tennis.

Thanks, I guess we'll see. My son is a pretty good player and he is competitive, but he's also a really nice kid, maybe too nice to be a top caliber player. I'm not sure how much money I can afford to put into this with a clear conscience, and he might end up going the soccer route.

tennismom42
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks, I guess we'll see. My son is a pretty good player and he is competitive, but he's also a really nice kid, maybe too nice to be a top caliber player. I'm not sure how much money I can afford to put into this with a clear conscience, and he might end up going the soccer route.Mine did competitive soccer and competitive baseball and competitive tennis around that age. One season would end and he'd have 1 day off.

I'd estimate that it cost about $400/month, every month, for 6 years. That averages in lessons, travel, fees. That's the bare minimum. I know of some that spend >$8,000/month on their kid's tennis.

10isDad
10-29-2009, 01:59 PM
I truly believe my son would have been in trouble with the law by now, had he not done tennis. Just too much energy and his HS is full of druggies, alcoholics and other abhorrent behaviors.

Oh ye of little faith...

I doubt it. He seemed pretty grounded to me when I met him.
I doubt that's all due to tennis.

And $400/month is almost on the cheap. If a kid is doing 2x or 3x/week clinic + a private lesson each week I would bet the cost is higher. It certainly is here in Arizona - most of the clinics are over $400 per month. Throw in privates at anywhere from $40 to $75 (or higher) and you're up around $600. Throw in tournament fees, gasoline, hotel costs, shoes, equipment, etc and you could darn near send your kid away to an academy

TennisTaxi
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
I'd estimate that it cost about $400/month, every month, for 6 years. That averages in lessons, travel, fees.

$400 barely covers tourney fees for 1 month....:shock: