PDA

View Full Version : have a look at this

pete92
10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mFegGvUtk

Point starting around 6:00. Nadals forehand looks well out, maybe even a foot, yet no call. Federer challenges and hawkeye says in. looks well out to me have a look and see what you think.

defrule
10-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Yup, looked out.

OddJack
10-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Looks out, but from this view of the cam it is not certain.
One thing is for sure, sometimes they replay the wrong ball.

jelle v
10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
I remember seeing this and I was astounded by hawkeye.. the ball looked way out and now seeing this youtube video, I still don't understand how hawkeye could have called the ball in.. it's just mind boggling and makes you wonder how inaccurate hawkeye is.. :confused:

kOaMaster
10-29-2009, 04:42 PM
jeez, that looks like 30cm out at least!? that can't possibly be true!?

Cup8489
10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
don't forget, youtube's videos are not the best quality..i think one would do better to watch the HD of this match and watch it closely on a large tv. it was close to being out, could have gone either way, but the youtube video makes it look unbelievably far out.

i remember watching this in hd on my dvd player, and i thought it was out, but then realized it wasn't.

Joseph L. Barrow
10-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Nadal's shots are sometimes deceptive in that they arc so much just before hitting the ground and bounce so far that they can give one the impression they're landing considerably further along than they actually are. That said, on this film, I do think the ball looks out. Keep in mind that this was during the fifth set, at which time it may already have been growing substantially dark, which evidently impairs the hawkeye system (hence their turning it off late in the match).

maddogz32
10-29-2009, 06:02 PM
looked out but you never know, it could just be our angle

Kemitak
10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Down with the challenge system!

stapler
10-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Looked out to me as well, but as others have pointed out, youtube video isn't the greatest quality, and the POV isn't the best (side view of the baseline would have been much easier to distinguish it)

sh@de
10-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Looked way out but camera angles are sometimes deceptive. That said, I still didn't expect the hawkeye replay to be like that. I thought even if it were gonna be in it would just be slightly on the line, not almost fully on the line.

MajinX
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
it did look out but the bounce was so fast its hard to tell. esp with the topspin

Edstringer13
10-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Hawk eye has a margen of error of 12 to 7% i think.I read once about it and it takes photo of the shadow of the ball which is ;arger than the ball.Many time you can see that when they play it.

Ambivalent
10-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Federer looked confused as hell too. I'm pretty sure it was very far out, and not youtube's quality.

Alec78
10-29-2009, 07:10 PM
The chalk did not blow up! How you can you possibly call that in? Hawkeye, you are the pits of the world!

The ball clearly makes a mark behind the line. Definitely out.

autumn_leaf
10-29-2009, 07:17 PM
^^ that's what i was thinking. if it hit the line that much wouldn't you see a whole bunch of chalk on the ball?

IvanAndreevich
10-29-2009, 08:14 PM
ZERO chalk. Clearly out.

veroniquem
10-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Yup, that's how Nadal beat Federer 13 times: bribed the hawkeye technician :twisted:
Clever, Rafa, clever!

OddJack
10-29-2009, 08:22 PM
^^^^ yeah...mother of the bride is back..
WB

Baikalic
10-29-2009, 08:27 PM
HawkEye is like any real system, any margin of error will inevitably produce a distribution of errors ranging from minor (likely) to major (unlikely); this looks like it's one of those cases.

ubermeyer
10-29-2009, 08:40 PM
that was definitely out

OroDeSantoro
10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
WOW, that was completely out

ShooterMcMarco
10-29-2009, 11:09 PM
What a BS call, outrageous.

Cantankersore
10-29-2009, 11:20 PM
"Hawkeye is killing me." - Roger Federer

IvanAndreevich
10-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Yup, that's how Nadal beat Federer 13 times: bribed the hawkeye technician :twisted:
Clever, Rafa, clever!

This is not about Federer or Nadal. It's about hawk eye being inaccurate.

And that wasn't really an important point in the match, so it had little effect on the outcome.

westside
10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
This might sound odd, but to see how acurate hawkeye really is, has it ever been used on a clay court where you can compare the mark on the court to that of hawkeye.

Yes, i know there is obviously no hawkeye at clay court tournaments, but this would be an interesting way to test it right?....

Seany
10-30-2009, 03:01 AM
Actually y'all are wrong, the quality of the video is deceiving you.

I have this in HD, and just watched this point, the ball is in fact extremely close to the line.

P_Agony
10-30-2009, 03:19 AM
The ball looks way out, and Hawkeye might have given the wrong ball. Remember Murray vs. Ljubicic this year when Murray hit a ball that was well out, asked for a challenge and Hawkeye gave the wrong bounce?

P_Agony
10-30-2009, 03:21 AM
This is not about Federer or Nadal. It's about hawk eye being inaccurate.

And that wasn't really an important point in the match, so it had little effect on the outcome.

Actually it would have given Fed a 15-30 lead on Nadal's serve. In a 5th set of the biggest championship, that's a very important point.

topher.juan
10-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Definitely out. I have a larger resolution version that conclusively shows this shot out, I grabbed the frame a while ago and zoomed it. There's some things I don't like about hawkeye: they will not release what the maximum error of the system is (I believe it averages out to within 3mm) and they will not use it on clay because it will expose it's flaws (it should be allowed on clay, there's been times where they player/umpire argues what mark is in question). If they can't use it on clay and they won't release the maximum error, I don't think it should be allowed; it would be great system if it was more accurate.. but if you're going to show shots that are out by several inches as in at times, throw it out and come back when it's fixed! I think some players realize this and use the challenge system when shots are close, a crapshoot as to if it will be in or out.

IvanAndreevich
10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Definitely out. I have a larger resolution version that conclusively shows this shot out, I grabbed the frame a while ago and zoomed it. There's some things I don't like about hawkeye: they will not release what the maximum error of the system is (I believe it averages out to within 3mm) and they will not use it on clay because it will expose it's flaws (it should be allowed on clay, there's been times where they player/umpire argues what mark is in question). If they can't use it on clay and they won't release the maximum error, I don't think it should be allowed; it would be great system if it was more accurate.. but if you're going to show shots that are out by several inches as in at times, throw it out and come back when it's fixed! I think some players realize this and use the challenge system when shots are close, a crapshoot as to if it will be in or out.
Can you please post that screen shot?
Actually it would have given Fed a 15-30 lead on Nadal's serve. In a 5th set of the biggest championship, that's a very important point.

Hm I guess you are right.

All-rounder
10-30-2009, 03:08 PM
lool I'm watching this in HD so you can't say the quality is deceiving the viewer. That ball was out by about 30-35cm

_maxi
10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
We need a better video.