PDA

View Full Version : Super slice?

SageOfDeath
04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm wasn't really sure where to put this topic so i'm just gonna put it here...

Anyways sometimes when I hit the ball i accidentally hit on the racquet frame and it causes this weird feeling after I hit it. But afterwards it puts like SUPER slice on the ball. I've seen the ball go almost completly left. Is there a way to force this to happen because I like the reactions of my opponents when they see the ball curve away. :p

I also wanted to ask about 2 handed backhands and 1 handed backhands. My instructor said that I should stick with one or the other. I know with 2 handed backhands my shots are a lot more consistant and deeper but with 1 handed backhands i have the option of slice. I was going to switch to 1 handed backhand and stick with it but then i wanted to ask if it was possible to hit a deeper slice shot like at least mid-court. Or if its possible to hit a 2 handed backhand slice. (besides hitting the racquet frame :) )

Geezer Guy
04-15-2005, 07:30 AM
SageOfDeath - Really thinking outside the box, aren't we. Most of us keep our eyes on the ball so we can hit it in the sweet spot (or at least we try to). It occurs to me that if you want to frame the ball, all you have to do is take your eyes OFF the ball. You can either look at your opponent just before you're about to swing for the ball or maybe simply closing your eye's after the ball bounces but before you start your swing.

As for your choice of 1HBH or 2HBH, that's a hot topic on these boards, and much has been written about the merits of each. Try using the "SEARCH" option to find out what people have said in the past.

6-0 6-0
04-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Sage...
I think what you are talking about is considered a shank/mishit/flub/skull/crapshot/etc. So I don't think that we would want to encourage anybody to try to practice hitting this type of shot. I am sure that when you do hit this shot once out of 100 that it looks super impressive, but then again if the guy you are playing knows anything about tennis he will know that you didn't mean to do it so that shoots that theory.

FuriousYellow
04-15-2005, 01:39 PM
I've hit a few of those, mostly where I've swung too early and my racquet face is nearly horizontal by the time I make contact and I'm brushing just underneath the ball. The ball kind of rolls on the stringbed, hits the frame and then gets kind of tossed off the racquet like a sidearm pitch in baseball.

I think you could duplicate this effect, but your margin of error would be so small you'd end up hitting most of the balls with the outside of the frame, popping it straight up, or just flat out missing the ball.

Then again, you could just try putting velcro on the outer edges of your stringbed. :p

donnyz89
04-15-2005, 05:15 PM
lol, mishits... i get those all the time when im not focused.