PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Legends @ Newks is awesome

red7flag
10-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I just came back from a week of a fantastic tennis experience. I had no idea what fun I would have. The event is really team tennis. The participants are split into 4 teams with tennis legends: John Newcombe, Roy Emerson, Owen Davidson, Fred Stolle, Dick Stockton, Mark Woodford, Charlie Paserell, Ross Case among others were the legends who acted as coaches. Talk about a competitive situation, great tennis, and fun. Any who think those legends are over the hill or have lost interest. Think again. Roy Emerson did clinics every night until the darkness would force him to stop. Both the legends and the players were great. The range was everything from about lvl 3 to 6. Some people actually trained for months prior to the event to get ready. The teams are divided up by a draft with about 5 players that a legend could "protect" from last years team. After two days each team was 1-1. Singles were played in the morning and doubles in the afternoon. (Those doubles players can play doubles only and play doubles both sessions. Most play both) These are some of the most competitive folks you have ever met, both the legends and the players. This is every October and I cannot recommend it more. I will be there every year from now on. One person had been there all 22 years that they have had the event. Just to add, the Newcombe Tennis Ranch were it is held, treats the participants extremely well.
Tony

TenS_Ace
10-29-2009, 10:07 PM
This is definitely on my "bucket list"!! So glad you had a "rock solid" time! I'll be there late November!:)

Blask
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Is it mostly instruction or mostly match play? Is this something a 3.5 would benefit from or is it for higher levels?

Geezer Guy
10-30-2009, 03:47 PM
And I'll be there early December for about the 7th(?) time.

I've not been there for a "Legends" week, so cannot comment on that first hand. (I've heard many people say postiive things about it though.)

The regular week-long program starts Sunday evening and runs through Friday lunch. You get 5 1/2 - 6 hours of instruction Mon - Thu, and you have free cout time for competitive (or social) play after that. It is something a 3.5 would DEFINATELY benefit from.

red7flag
10-30-2009, 07:26 PM
I have been to both. The regular week is mostly drills and great instruction. The Legends, while there is plenty of drills and instruction (I am still incorporating much of it) the primary focus is competitive. The matches are set up to put like players together. Each team is set up as a ladder. Number 3 plays the other teams number three. I am between a 3.5 and 4.0 (have 4.0 strokes with limited competitive experience) and I was the middle of the bottom. There were a number not as good. Most were better and some much so. Was one of the things that made the teams fun. The lvl 6.0 players would come and watch your match and cheer for you. There is much for everyone except the rank beginner.
Tony