PDA

View Full Version : Frustration, I'm lost.

mwitiiram
10-29-2009, 07:20 PM
So here's the deal.
I've poured several thousand hours of my time practicing and at least $2K in instruction and equipment. No matter how hard I try or what I do, I can't seem to put everything together. Two months ago my serve was incredible and my groundstrokes sucked. Now I can't serve worth a crap and my groundies are well formed.
I don't know what to do.
I've tried going "back to the basics" and "letting it flow" but I just end up frustrated.
I know I have the potential to put everything together but I just don't know how.
I picked up the sport 5 years ago and to this day I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't won a single 2/3 set match. I've won sets but never a match.
At times I just want to give up and sell my sticks but I love the game too much

Suggestions, please?

downdaline
10-29-2009, 07:47 PM
What did u change? Changed strings?

I believe that tennis is what you make of it. U play with the tools that you have. Now u cant serve but u have good groundies. Time to play some point construction. Serve is good but no groundies? Time for some big serve followed by put-away groundstroke combi.

You dont have to win to enjoy tennis. Look at Fabrice Santoro. He plays for sheer love of the game. And to entertain.

Play to perform and learn to laugh at yourself.

Hope this helps.

(And btw, i go through these spells as well. Im sure everyone does.)

In D Zone
10-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I went through the same roller coaster as you did. I was playing well - great all around, winning matches and then bammed - the wall cam crushing down. I started to slump. Serves were inconsistent, fh were aweful and bh was a joke. I started loosing matches and cannot seem to get my groove going - dry spell for 3 weeks.

I realized that I was over exposed to tennis - played too much 4 x a week for avg of 3 hours each time; not resting my body to recover.

I retreated, took a couple of weeks off tennis. Rested, work on some weighs and cardio. When I got back playing I felt refresh and much confident. I just focus on playing and having fun.

Geezer Guy
10-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Dude... for someone who loves the game, you're taking it way too seriously. Have some fun. Quit worrying about winning a match.

And for crying out loud, find someone easier to play!

bertrevert
10-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Winnign is a confidence-thing, stomp on a few players beneath your level, get good again and play up.

You MUST enjoy the struggle. You have to find it interesting how each opponent presents a slightly diff challenge. It is a kind of combat and you have to want to get up close and personal.

It is not about hitting winners, and it is not about winning per se.

Get an easier racq + setup. I know this equipment angle usually isn't the right problem but hey it helps! G'luck

ps. what is exactly going wrong you feel?

goober
10-30-2009, 06:45 AM
So here's the deal.
I've poured several thousand hours of my time practicing and at least $2K in instruction and equipment. No matter how hard I try or what I do, I can't seem to put everything together. Two months ago my serve was incredible and my groundstrokes sucked. Now I can't serve worth a crap and my groundies are well formed.
I don't know what to do.
I've tried going "back to the basics" and "letting it flow" but I just end up frustrated.
I know I have the potential to put everything together but I just don't know how.
I picked up the sport 5 years ago and to this day I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't won a single 2/3 set match. I've won sets but never a match.

Suggestions, please?

Well the winning part is easily solved- play some noobs! As others have stated-stop worrying about winning and enjoy the process of playing more.

10-30-2009, 07:04 AM
And for crying out loud, find someone easier to play!

Perfect, as you are clearly playing too high if you never win. Many can play well or Ok above their level, but to win some, you have to be at the right level.

Cindysphinx
10-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Personally, I think it is important to play a range of opponents. Gotta play people you can crush and people who can crush you.

It sounds like you aren't playing anyone you can beat easily or people on your level. I think playing *only* stronger opponents can lead to bad habits (just get it back, just get it back) and a loss of confidence in one's shots. This is especially a problem if you are taking lessons and you never seem to get a chance to set up for your shots because your opponents is just too much for you. So you never implement what you are learning.

So relax. Find someone to crush. And then enjoy crushing them!

coyfish
10-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Maybe you could invest in a ball machine. For mastering shot mechanics you can't beat the machine.

Then go play a friend of equal level and implement what you have learned on shots with varying speeds / spins.

user92626
10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
OP,

I have a feeling that your problem is that you're not patient and you are overcomplicating or expecting too much from tennis.

Tennis for the most part is simple. The number of moves and strokes that you actually need are really finite and few. You need to figure out them all and then comes the matter of learning to repeat them with higher percentage and keeping up your physical health. Here's where your patience comes in. For most part it is just hitting the same old boring routine. Basically I come to the same courts and play with the relatively the same people week in and out.

Good/excellent players who I observe and some tell me are those who seem like satisfied with hitting the same old routine but striving for perfection. Some enjoy hitting beautifully and implicitly proving superior movement/body skills. One guy told me that he enjoyed playing when his opponent feared him (as in losing all confidence) or became frustrated.

Mick
10-30-2009, 10:59 AM
for me the difference between winning and losing is not how well you play but how well you concentrate on the points that count. there's a guy that i play with who has better strokes than i do but i always beat him. i just play the big points better than he does.

Racer41c
10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
So here's the deal.
I don't know what to do.

Suggestions, please?

Lotsa good advice already so I'll just add my 2 cents:

On the inconsistency issue, a lot of times this is the result of too many changes and getting lost. It could be changes to equipment, technique or even your body's strength/flexibility. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Focus on re-building your serve and of all the motions in tennis, it needs to be relaxed.

theZig
10-30-2009, 11:27 AM
The simplest advice I can give is, try everything (and i mean everything) at 70%. Don;'t try to "relax" too much, but don't try and go for everything. Do this until all your shots stablize. I suspect that once a shot is "working" for you, you have a tendency to put it on the back burner; as in you assume it's "mastered" and pretty much forget about it, and once it starts failing again you OVER complicate it again. This leads to the "roller coaster" effect. Play as if you were playing against someone SLIGHTLY worse than you, and you wanted to make it competitive. 70%. On. All. Balls. Once you're in a rhythm, go ahead and crank up to 100% now and then, but you're going to notice something funny, you may be winning more often with your "all around 70%", and there's a reason for that. It's because that's the level you GENERALLY want to play at, even if you're in a match situation. The reason being, going 100% full on nonstop is an easy way to crash your form and your stamina, and going 50% is an easy way to well, play like doodoo. Think of it like driving on the freeway, you're going (depending on where you live) 60-80 mph. By no means are you flooring it. Likewise, you aren't slamming on the breaks either. Can you imagine what it would be like to sit in a car with someone who only put the pedal to the metal and slammed on his breaks? You'd throw up! Your tennis is at a similar state. STOP slamming the breaks, and STOP slamming your accelerator! Learn to control YOURSELF before you try and control your tennis!

jmjmkim
10-30-2009, 11:49 AM
What you say describes 99% of the population, in any sport.

Slazenger07
11-02-2009, 02:15 AM
All I can say is tennis takes alot of practice to become solid, Ive been playing for about 10 years and occasionally aspects of my game still go off. It takes a long time to master all of the strokes so that they are solid and you can rely on them when you need them. Keep working at it, its the best sport in the world!

Slazenger07
11-02-2009, 02:18 AM
It sounds like a big problem for you is in between the ears. Relax when you play, focus, dont care about winning too much and most importantly be confident in your abilities, if you believe you will win, you will relax and your game should come out.