PDA

View Full Version : Please Analyze and Criticise my game

jigar
10-29-2009, 09:16 PM
After being a member of this forum for such a long time, I though it is time to get some valuable analysis from fellow members.
I didn't want to upload just 60 seconds clip so I have uploaded 2 videos on YouTube.
I have never any kind of formal training in tennis. I am just learning by reading books and watching videos. That is the main reason there are some problems with it.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6CatreAyw (8 Minute 22 Seconds)
Same video on Vimeo http://vimeo.com/7341434
(Some GS, Volley )
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI36R-rMFwI (8 Minute)
(Few more GS, Serves, Few points from the base line).
Same video on Vimeo http://vimeo.com/7341450

Any positive criticism is welcomed. (FH, BH, Footwork, Volley, Serve and other aspect of the game)
It would be nice if you can provide reason with your tip.

I thank in advance to everyone who is taking some time to watch and analyze.

TennisVet
10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
your groundstrokes are very stable. good 1hbh and 2hbh. need to work on footwork. it will help maintain your balance and help you get to the ball faster.

jigar
10-29-2009, 09:29 PM
your groundstrokes are very stable. good 1hbh and 2hbh. need to work on footwork. it will help maintain your balance and help you get to the ball faster.

Thanks for you input. I am planning to start jumping rope to improve my footwork.

USERNAME
10-29-2009, 09:31 PM
U really are not using ur body on ur groundies, really need to load up and uncoil into the shot. Volleys I have to say did look ok but it looks like u have a weak wrist or something, on the fh side especially ur wrist was buckling a lot. Also dont move the racquet head so much when vollying and keep ur eyes on the ball. Now on serve, my coach would b killing u right now cause of what ur tossing arm is doing. U toss the ball then ur arm kinda flings around, KEEP THE ARM UP as if u were pointing at the ball until u start bringing ur racquet forward then drop it down and to the side to get a good healthy shoulder rotation (ull see a BIG jump in spin and pace from this alone.)

MasturB
10-29-2009, 09:31 PM
From the bits and pieces I've seen, it looks like you were just hitting regular, not really intense rallies.

Your backhand looks solid.

The only thing I really noticed that you can work on is your forehand. I think your guide arm (your left arm), is flying out too early than the rest of your body on some of your forehands. Your left arm in this case, is the stabilizer that keeps your body balanced when you swing. I noticed sometimes your left hand during the swing is on the same plane as your hip, sometimes on the same plane as your oblique, sometimes on the same plane as your shoulder.

Your stance is too open since the left side of your upper body appears to be opening a bit too early than your swing. You could be creating much more power in the kinetic chain if your body is close together.

jigar
10-29-2009, 09:47 PM
U really are not using ur body on ur groundies, really need to load up and uncoil into the shot. Volleys I have to say did look ok but it...

You are right on my friend. I know that I have tendency to drop my arm too early. I will surely work on that. Thanks for pointing out part in volleys.

jigar
10-29-2009, 09:48 PM
From the bits and pieces I've seen, it looks like you were just hitting regular, not really intense rallies.
Your backhand looks solid..
Thanks.. Appreciated. I will keep that in mind.
It was begining of the warm up and temperature was in high 30s, that is why it wasn't intense.

MasturB
10-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks.. Appreciated. I will keep that in mind.

If you're going to be using an open stance often, you're going to be relying more on arm strength, pectoral, and shoulder rotation if you want to get any power. It's the only real way to compensate for your core and torso already being open, and legs can only help in terms of stepping into the ball.

The thing about an open stance though, is more disguise to where you're going to hit the ball at.

USERNAME
10-29-2009, 09:55 PM
You are right on my friend. I know that I have tendency to drop my arm too early. I will surely work on that. Thanks for pointing out part in volleys.

No problem dude, u do look like a good player btw just a few technical hitches.

jigar
10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
If you're going to be using an open stance often, you're going to be relying more on arm strength, pectoral, and shoulder rotation if you want t
Once again you have a great tip. Thanks a lot. It is such a simple game but there are so much physics involved in this game, isn't it wonderful !!
I know most of the stuff, it is just I can see it for myself. There are so many other stuff going through mind, I just forget about all these. Thank a lot again.

beckham
10-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Looks like you've got some solid ground strokes, great backhand imo.
More foot work and legs included in your strokes could only benefit, other than that you appear to be a solid player.
Thanks for sharing.

jigar
10-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Looks like you've got some solid ground strokes, great backhand imo. Thank you sir...I am honored.

Solat
10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
jigar,

FH : you lack body rotation in your swing, you should be initiating the fwd swing with leg/hip drive. You could also drive the elbow upward better which would hopefully creat a better swing plane. There seems to be a lack of true "acceleration" thru the swing which is most likely linked back to the failure of the legs to drive the swing.
BH: same deal, you could benefit from rotating the hips into the stroke, the arms seem very good here however, keep the swing it looks good, it could get some more whip by relaxing the wrists but it may not be required at your level
Serve : you have a vertical racquet lift and this is taking away any forward momentum of the swing, you can compensate for this (see Roddick) by being very explosive upward, but you are not since you are too short in your knee drop. I would certainly like to see you drive upward and outward into the ball.

jigar
10-29-2009, 10:59 PM
jigar,

FH : you lack body rotation in your swing, you should be initiating the fwd swing with leg/hip drive. You could also drive the elbow upwar.

Thanks a lot Solat.. Really appreciated.
Can you please explain "drive the elbow upward better" in little more detail? I got rest of the part.

Solat
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks a lot Solat.. Really appreciated.
Can you please explain "drive the elbow upward better" in little more detail? I got rest of the part.

you tend to wrap around your body with your swing, it appears to be related to your left arm pulling outward and around. Most modern FH have an upward drive against the ball to impart speed and spin, since we initiate the drive using our legs pushing against the ground. This drive should be continued with the arm bringing the racquet up and across the ball, the elbow is a keg indicator of how the arm is accelerating.

whether you be using an over the shoulder
http://z.about.com/d/tennis/1/0/f/F/80299664_8.jpg
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/87432412.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19375C05EF07E24E8D681DC680E14FED7B4 B01E70F2B3269972
or a whip
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SNzNdyLkAiU/SYEwlER2k9I/AAAAAAAAIOQ/8sDPHzdmqFo/s400/After+Forehand+The+Follow+Through+2009%2BAustralia n%2BOpen%2BDay%2B10%2Bsr-ChbYOdsFl.jpg
or a wrap around
http://z.about.com/d/tennis/1/0/1/C/2006-us-open-2.jpg

jigar
10-29-2009, 11:47 PM
you tend to wrap around your body with your swing, it appears to be related to your left arm pulling outwar..

Great illustration,.. Thanks a lot, again..You are my hero..
I feel like I am going to improve a lot in next few weeks.. Thanks to all who are taking some time and giving really good suggestions.

tricky
10-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Footwork/movement:

In your clips, you setting up a hitting stance, and THEN you're moving toward the ball. This is actually a significant problem. Because you're doing this, you end up playing catch with your racquet (especially on your FH wing). On the FH wing, you're getting most of your power from swivelling around the hips as you "catch" the ball with the racquet. It's almost doing a sort of swing volley on that wing. Your BH is pretty good nonetheless. Most of the time, you consciously transfer your weight pretty well.

You want to work on moving toward the ball, then set up your stance and groundstroke. Even if the ball is pretty much hit back to you, you can still make a small step and go straight into your goundstroke. Establishing a rhythm helps with this.

When practicing, you want to consciously move forward (i.e. toward the court) and step out with the foot closest to the ball (i.e. where you believe you'll hit the ball.) When you are ready to execute the groundstroke, use your momentum to pivot into the correct stance. This also initiates the unit turn.

One way to reinforce this is to keep your trunk relatively parallel with the net as you move. You can let it turn a little, but only a little. Don't let it turn too much or have it become closed to or square with the net. That means you're using the wrong foot. Once you're ready to prepare your stance and groundstroke, THEN you let the trunk close.

Having a count also helps. I like using "1-2" or "Step 1-Step 2." "Hit-Bounce-Hit" also works great.

FH:

The main thing is the footwork and having that rhythm. But you actually have the right idea for a WW-style swing. A lot of the problems that you have, such as a contact point that's too close to your body, a lazy left arm, and a scrunched-up swing are all due to the step patterns that you are using.

The counting thing is important. Generally, you'll separate your racquet on "Step 1" or "Bounce." As you separate the racquet, let the left hand lightly stroke the neck of the racquet. This will help you create a turn-based takeback rather than a loop-based takeback. This helps produce an efficient WW swing.

2HBH:

Mostly footwork. The 1HBH is pretty good.

1HBH:

Personally don't like mixing 1H and 2H topspin BHs in the same session. You want to groove in your contact point and stances, and obviously they are different. You do a good job keeping your head down and tracking the ball. You also do a good job not opening up the trunk too much, too early as you hit through the ball. Good use of left arm as counterbalance.

Again look at footwork. There's a bit of a loop in your 1H BH. Traditionally, like the 2H BH, you want to bring the racquet under the ball on the "Step 1" or "Bounce" count. This is reinforced with the smile pattern. Your left hand tends to let go of the racquet a bit early (i.e. before the racquet reaches your left hip.) But, for now, work mostly on the footwork.

Both of your BHs are pretty good.

Serve:

Balance is significantly off in the service motion. There's things you can do with each part:

The Setup:
1) After bouncing, consciously move your left arm and bring it under the racquet arm. (As opposed to raising your racquet over your left arm. Sounds like the same thing, but it quite isn't.) This is a subtle "sequencing" tip that help your toss guide your windup.

2) If you're serving from ad court, move your right hip away from the net. If you're serving from deuce court, move your left hip away from the net.

Toss:
3) Let your tossing arm drop before you raise it to toss. As it drops, let the arm brush your left pocket. This helps to facilitate a windup appropriate for a traditonal service-arm motion.

4) Aim/follow the ball with the same hip that you used in step 2. In fact, start aiming/following the ball with that hip as soon as the tossing arm drops in step 3.

Windup/Arm Motion:

5) As you release the ball, continue to "aim" with that hip. This is a visualization that helps your windup load and remain continuous through the serve. It also helps your balance to continue moving forward, toward the court.

6) Don't force the trophy pose. It helps to practice with a sock, so that you don't try to force positions as you go.

Serve:

7) Drive off the feet or the hip. Whichever feels more comfortable.

Nellie
10-30-2009, 07:16 AM
FH - It looks to me like you pushing the shot forward with the shoulder instead of with your hips/torso. In these strokes, your left shoulder is dipping down and stroke is centered on your left shoulder and not you waist. It is particularly noticeable on some strokes when you bring back the right elbow high.

I think you would see some improvement if you kept the left arm on the racquet longer and kept the left arm up higher through out the stroke. Try a couple of strokes keeping your left arm throughout the forehand, and you will feel the difference. Also, if you bent the left knee more to load the right foot, on the open stance, you will again put yourself in a better position to rotate at the waist/hips.

On the serve, there is a lot of wasted motion. You start sideways, toss, bring you right foot to turn your body almost back toward the net and then swing with very little rotation.

jigar
10-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Footwork/movement:
In your clips, you setting up a

Thanks a lot for such a detailed analysis. I would have never figured it out myself. I really appreciate what you are doing sir.

jigar
10-30-2009, 08:22 AM
FH - It looks to me like you pushing the shot forward with the shoulder instead of with your hips/torso. In these strokes, your left shoulder is dipping down and stro.

Thank a lot my friend, I am grateful.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-30-2009, 01:13 PM
First off, I must say, I LIKE that backhand! It doesn't get much sweeter than that!

Now the serve and forehand are okay, but I'm not too crazy about them. The forehand, you seem to stop your shoulder rotation around contact. You want your shoulders to rotate all the way. This will give you added pace and penetration through the court. When you finish your stroke, I want you to finish with your shoulder pointed to where you want the ball to go (or at least straight forward). You're really arming the ball on the forehand. Loosen up a bit.

The serve, like others have mentioned, needs you to keep your tossing arm up until your swing up to the contact. Also, I would love to see you get more shoulder rotation. Right now you have minimal rotation, and can get more pop if you turned your shoulders more. Also, it might be better if you slowed down your rhythm a bit, but that's up to you.

Your movement and footwork I like overall. It's a bit slow for my taste and the split step seems lazy and mistimed, but you're not getting hurt because of your inability to properly get to and set up for the ball. Then again, you might've edited out the points where you did have problems, but overall in the points you showed, your footwork and movement were doing their job very well. What you can do to help improve your footwork though, is to find a player that's at a higher level than you, and can really get some pop on that ball. If you have to deal with fast balls, knowing that it's essentially their consistent shot, you really have to get your feet moving to set up for those shots in time and a proper split step becomes far more critical to reaching the ball in time.

jazzyfunkybluesy
10-30-2009, 01:19 PM
As Bollitieri says "turn your hips and shoulders".

Ken Honecker
10-31-2009, 12:05 AM
I too like the backhand better than the forehand, it just seems smoother. Personally I play my volleys much closer to the net which opens up more angles and causes the opponant to worry a bit.

jigar
11-02-2009, 01:07 PM
First off, I must say, I LIKE that backhand! It doesn't get much sweeter than that

Thanks for your input. I have been working on several thing to fix my mistakes. I edited out just blank part of the video where I was just collecting the ball. As a matter of fact I like ball with pace and I hit much better and cleaner. Thanks again.

jigar
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I too like the backhand better than the forehand, it just seems smoother. Personally I play my volleys much closer to the net which opens up more angles and causes the opponant to worry a bit.

Thanks for your input. I will keep your suggestion in mind.