PDA

View Full Version : topspin forehand/backhand

NoirX252
10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Do you guys consider it bad technique to use the wrist/arm pronation in some way? Don't know quite how to describe it.

forehand backhand, i do use the body but at the right moment i muscle it then relax, or sometimes i really muscle it, but not too much as to slow it down.. I think. I get loads of spin with this method... I guess muscling is too strong a word? My arm is definitely not super relaxed. and yes it's consistent, no sore wrists/ or any physical problems, been hitting everyday for like 2 months with this technique. I used a POG which is not a light racquet to begin with.

or i have another way of hitting which is generally a more relaxed arm with more legs/body that influence hwo the racquet moves, I still windshield wiper, but the WW motion comes from how my body makes the racquet move.. not my ARM doing the WW motion, i find I'm getting less spin with this method. + the control on some short balls is questionable, but generally a more relaxed hit, although the timing needs to be that much better with this method IMO.

I'm looking for advice on which way to go. I'm more for long term progress.

and oh.. if arming it a BIT turns out to be ok, how about on a serve? does the arm play some small influential but conscious part? I've tried throwing a tennis ball as FAR as possible using a totally loose arm and arming it at just the right moment, they pretty much go the same distance.. so i am )#$*)# confused. I keep hearing talk about a loose arm, which I used to follow religiously until a couple of months ago. I wonder if I have strayed from the "right path"

Jay_The_Nomad
10-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Most of the regular tennis technique advise committee members here would tell you that it is difficult to assess you without seeing a video.

But as a rule of thumb, you should be relaxed enough such that you're able to maintain a 'towel snap' effect, but tense enough to avoid a loss of 'form' & inconsistency where your swing path just go all over the shop.

Nellie
10-30-2009, 06:44 AM
All the pros use "wrist" in their forehand, such that the wrist starts flexed back and finishes flexed forward. I would advise that most of this movement is a consequence and not a result of the good kenetic chain (cracking the whip).

Do not try to roll the racquet over the ball to get top spin.