PDA

View Full Version : can Ernests Gulbis win his first ever tournament?

Fr4Nc0
10-30-2009, 07:11 AM
What do you think? Will Gulbis start earning the respect of TW posters?

dropshot winner
10-30-2009, 07:14 AM
He sure can, but I'm not sure if he will.

Anaconda
10-30-2009, 07:14 AM
He can, but he won't.

jms007
10-30-2009, 07:31 AM
He won't, but he can.

norbac
10-30-2009, 07:43 AM
I hope so, he seems to be serving like a beast in this tourney. The other day against Chardy he had something like 20 aces and that was only two sets and today against Zeballos he has like ten in the first set alone.

The change of coach really seems to be helping.

JankovicFan
10-30-2009, 09:03 AM
You only get one chance to make a good first impression. He's nobody.

Today didn't help with him losing again. He is so consistent with that flashy first set and then losing the match.

burosky
10-30-2009, 09:17 AM
He hasn't won a tournament? Dare we say a male "Anna K" in the making? :-)

IvanAndreevich
10-30-2009, 09:55 AM
He hasn't won a tournament? Dare we say a male "Anna K" in the making? :-)

Totally uncalled for comparison. She had no weapons or talent, Gulbis is just inconsistent.

burosky
10-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Totally uncalled for comparison. She had no weapons or talent, Gulbis is just inconsistent.

That was posted in jest thus the smiley face.

kishnabe
10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Everyone had a week or two when the monster comes out like Tsonga at the australian open. If gulbis tames himself then maybe he will win hist first tournament.

RCizzle65
10-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Would have wanted to watch a Gulbis/Safin match....oh well

Shaolin
10-30-2009, 12:03 PM
You only get one chance to make a good first impression. He's nobody.

Today didn't help with him losing again. He is so consistent with that flashy first set and then losing the match.

Actually, YOU are nobody. Gulbis is an up and coming player with unreal talent. In a few years he will be consistently going deep in majors and you will still be behind a keyboard.

Serendipitous
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Go Ernie.....:)

kafelnikov
10-30-2009, 03:12 PM
It's gonna be tough for him, not even being able to score in Stockholm..

Fr4Nc0
10-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Everyone had a week or two when the monster comes out like Tsonga at the australian open. If gulbis tames himself then maybe he will win hist first tournament.

like gonzalez at the australian 07

Actually, YOU are nobody. Gulbis is an up and coming player with unreal talent. In a few years he will be consistently going deep in majors and you will still be behind a keyboard.

HOHO that was a low , not to mention that he will be making lots of money.

SourStraws
10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
W/ more work ethnic and consistency

S.S.

JankovicFan
10-31-2009, 09:47 AM

I hope you feel better. Sorry if it was disrespectful of your boy. You are essentially correct, except that Gulbis has been consistently on his way down for the past year. That's a fact. He was ranked in the low 50s a year ago. People attracted to him seem to be in denial about his actual results, so the mention of him in glowing terms on occasion seems ludicrous.

jamesblakefan#1
10-31-2009, 09:51 AM

Gulbis isn't going anywhere unless he gets some consistency. Talent alone doesn't win in tennis, he has to develop a consistent gameplan. Just bashing the ball won't work consistently to make deep runs and be successful.

Shaolin
10-31-2009, 02:24 PM
I hope you feel better. Sorry if it was disrespectful of your boy. You are essentially correct, except that Gulbis has been consistently on his way down for the past year. That's a fact. He was ranked in the low 50s a year ago. People attracted to him seem to be in denial about his actual results, so the mention of him in glowing terms on occasion seems ludicrous.

Well he has had a miserable and sh**ty year thats for sure, but when he plays well its some of the best tennis Ive ever seen, so thats why I have high hopes for the guy. Also those that call him a simple ball basher are wrong, he has a lot of touch shots and can volley well/mix in s&v etc.

zambo
10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
I mean, Gulbis had talent, but only demonstrates that talent 2 tournaments a year...

Djokovicfan4life
10-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Gulbis isn't going anywhere unless he gets some consistency. Talent alone doesn't win in tennis, he has to develop a consistent gameplan. Just bashing the ball won't work consistently to make deep runs and be successful.

Ironically enough this is being posted by a James Blake fan.

Shaolin
10-31-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted for truth.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 04:03 PM
I mean, Gulbis had talent, but only demonstrates that talent 2 tournaments a year...

He has talent but a flaky mental.

zambo
10-31-2009, 04:06 PM
He has talent but a flaky mental.

Is he not ranked somewhere in the 90's? That's crazy. He really is a wasted talent.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Is he not ranked somewhere in the 90's? That's crazy. He really is a wasted talent.

True, another one that triggered high expectations and couldn't live up to them.

ClubHoUno
10-31-2009, 04:27 PM
He won't and he can't - unfortunately :(

jamesblakefan#1
10-31-2009, 04:39 PM

Gulbis will be lucky to have the career Blake's had, best believe that.

I've yet to see this 'talent' people speak of from Gulbis, just ball bashing and hoping shots go in. He doesn't know how to win matches, he has no gameplan. Maybe if he focused more on hiring a coach instead of hiring prostitutes he'd actually be top 90. :shock:

Djokovicfan4life
11-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Gulbis will be lucky to have the career Blake's had, best believe that.

I've yet to see this 'talent' people speak of from Gulbis, just ball bashing and hoping shots go in. He doesn't know how to win matches, he has no gameplan. Maybe if he focused more on hiring a coach instead of hiring prostitutes he'd actually be top 90. :shock:

I'm not saying Gulbis will be better than Blake, I'm saying that Blake has made a career out of the very thing you're speaking of, ready-fire-aim tennis.