PDA

View Full Version : USTA Girls Sweep Alabama Wednesday, Beat Georgia Thursday

Tom C
10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
RESULTS
Doubles
1. Turewicz/Herring (USA) def. McLane/Guarachi (UA) 8-2
2. Van Nguyen/McPhillips (USA) def. Bigos/Lindsey (UA) 8-7(5)
Order of Finish: 1,2

Singles
1. Lauren Davis (USA) def. Alexa Guarachi (UA) 6-1, 6-1
2. Chanelle Van Nguyen (USA) def. Paulina Bigos (UA) 3-6, 6-0, 6-0
3. Kyle McPhillips (USA) def. Taylor Lindsey (UA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Monica Turewicz (USA) def. Alice Tunaru (UA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Breaunna Addison (USA) def. Meritt Emery (UA) 6-0, 6-1

Among the USTA Girls who won against Georgia were Chanelle Van Nguyen who defeated Nadja Gilchrist 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 singles and Lauren Davis who beat the nation's second ranked college player Gullickson 6-1, 4-6, 7-6(4) at No. 1.
Does this say anything about women's college tennis? Gilchrist was a highly ranked junior as was Gullickson.

atatu
10-30-2009, 11:00 AM
RESULTS
Doubles
1. Turewicz/Herring (USA) def. McLane/Guarachi (UA) 8-2
2. Van Nguyen/McPhillips (USA) def. Bigos/Lindsey (UA) 8-7(5)
Order of Finish: 1,2

Singles
1. Lauren Davis (USA) def. Alexa Guarachi (UA) 6-1, 6-1
2. Chanelle Van Nguyen (USA) def. Paulina Bigos (UA) 3-6, 6-0, 6-0
3. Kyle McPhillips (USA) def. Taylor Lindsey (UA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Monica Turewicz (USA) def. Alice Tunaru (UA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Breaunna Addison (USA) def. Meritt Emery (UA) 6-0, 6-1

Among the USTA Girls who won against Georgia were Chanelle Van Nguyen who defeated Nadja Gilchrist 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 singles and Lauren Davis who beat the nation's second ranked college player Gullickson 6-1, 4-6, 7-6(4) at No. 1.
Does this say anything about women's college tennis? Gilchrist was a highly ranked junior as was Gullickson.

I heard Georgia doesn't even have a full roster ? Why is that ...are they planning on having some recruits come in after the 1st semester ?

JSF1
10-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I think you are correct. I don't think UGA is at full roster either. Also, this was an exhibition match. May be different if it counts.

TnsMan2
10-30-2009, 11:21 AM
the difference between a pro ball ,college ball , and junior ball (good size top junior) NONE , the difference we can between these groups is their commitment to how long they want to hit it great .

So to see some top juniors picking apart some college girls does not surprise me.

couple of years back at the Zoo some kid was popping his 1st serve at 135 mph do you think if Fed was returning this kids serve if he was on, would he see a difference between roddick and the zoo kid ?

cmb
10-30-2009, 01:41 PM
depending on who the Zoo kid was, after 3 or 4 games fed would learn to read it, and also the zoo kid would not be able to mix it up as well as roddick, so yes I think fed not not have any trouble. Difference between juniors and top 10

sp00q
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Also, the Zoo kid will get nervous at the very idea of playing against Fed, his hand will start shaking, and after the first break of service he would lose all confidence and get crushed.

cmb
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
like britton this year at the open

gully
10-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Does this say anything about women's college tennis? Gilchrist was a highly ranked junior as was Gullickson.I think it says only that these very highly-ranked sophomores like McPhillips and Davis (#4 and #1 in their TRN class rank, respectively) are already good enough to compete with D1 powerhouses. But why wouldn't they be? Certainly, these two will be good enough (probably are already good enough) to play anywhere they like, so I don't see any surprise here.

I don't see that the results say anything in particular about women's college tennis as a whole.

TennisCoachFLA
10-30-2009, 05:46 PM
I think it says only that these very highly-ranked sophomores like McPhillips and Davis (#4 and #1 in their TRN class rank, respectively) are already good enough to compete with D1 powerhouses. But why wouldn't they be? Certainly, these two will be good enough (probably are already good enough) to play anywhere they like, so I don't see any surprise here.

I don't see that the results say anything in particular about women's college tennis as a whole.

Also we need to remember how differently girls mature. Studies show girls reach their peak power and speed at 13-15, then barely increase after that. A guy goes way, way up from age 14 until age 21. A 14 year old girl is almost as strong and fast as a 20 year old....a 14 year old boy is much weaker and slower than a 20 year old man.

So a talented girl of sophomore in high school age with lots of tennis experience is not really at any physical disadvantage when she plays a college girl.

TnsMan2
10-30-2009, 06:45 PM
depending on who the Zoo kid was, after 3 or 4 games fed would learn to read it, and also the zoo kid would not be able to mix it up as well as roddick, so yes I think fed not not have any trouble. Difference between juniors and top 10

FED 21-2 against roddick i think he would have more trouble reading the juniors serve , none the less your missing my point .

andfor
11-03-2009, 04:15 PM
FED 21-2 against roddick i think he would have more trouble reading the juniors serve , none the less your missing my point .

Fed would not have a problem with the kids serve. The kid may hold 1 or 2 times per set, maybe. If the kid played Fed 23 times he would be 0-23. If the kid played Fed at Wimbleton in any round (ref. the Wimbledon mens final 2009) the kid would have little to no chance to get a set off Fed let alone go 5 sets.

However, I do see your point.

TnsMan2
11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Fed would not have a problem with the kids serve. The kid may hold 1 or 2 times per set, maybe. If the kid played Fed 23 times he would be 0-23. If the kid played Fed at Wimbleton in any round (ref. the Wimbledon mens final 2009) the kid would have little to no chance to get a set off Fed let alone go 5 sets.

However, I do see your point.

when Fed was peaking a few years back this teenager stepped on the seen named Nadal he was about 16 or 17 at the time and Fed had a tough time taking a set off him .

i know we make up these mountains in our heads that we make someone superhuman then someone steps up out of no-where and burst these thoughts.

dont underestimate any kid .

andfor
11-03-2009, 06:20 PM
when Fed was peaking a few years back this teenager stepped on the seen named Nadal he was about 16 or 17 at the time and Fed had a tough time taking a set off him .

i know we make up these mountains in our heads that we make someone superhuman then someone steps up out of no-where and burst these thoughts.

dont underestimate any kid .

Your point seems to be changing. Could be I missed it. Its likely Fed never under estimated Nadal. By the time they first played a match I believe Nadal already won a ATP Tournament or 2. It would not suprise me if some of the college girls underestimated their teenage opponents.