PDA

View Full Version : Agassi's Meth Using Confession... Good or Bad?

Bud
10-30-2009, 01:25 PM
For an unbiased consensus on the issue.

This is a totally anonymous poll that asks a simple question:

Is this confession by Agassi (in his new book) a good thing or a bad thing?

Also, please no flaming other users if they choose to post their opinion on the issue. I'd like this poll and thread to remain unlocked and accessible for the future :grin:

Thanks!

Cesc Fabregas
10-30-2009, 01:27 PM
VERY BAD, not only does it give tennis a bad name, it was also for very selfish reasons so he could sell more copies of his book.

Serendipitous
10-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Very good....

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 01:28 PM
The one thing you're not gonna get on this issue is a CONSENSUS, believe me. And what does it mean good or bad? It's bad that it happened but it's good people know it happened.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
VERY GOOD, shows everyone he has the balls to step forward risking his great legacy, and shows everyone that he is only human and that even mega-stars makes mistake. Unlike other American superstars like Kobe Bryant and Michael Vick he didnt hurt anybody.

Also, ppl are making a big deal over this-and the fact that Nadal is questioning him is a BIG FAT JOKE!

Bud
10-30-2009, 01:31 PM
From the other (numerous) threads, it's difficult to determine how the community really feels.

I'm leaving this anonymous poll open-ended so future TT members can weigh in on the issue.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Very good....
Is that gj011:s avatar ?
:shock:

Bud
The one thing you're not gonna get on this issue is a CONSENSUS, believe me. And what does it mean good or bad? It's bad that it happened but it's good people know it happened.

Unless the voting is split up the middle the poll will show a consensus. In general, TT members appear pretty polarized on the issue... hence the good or bad options, only.

If you're indifferent on the issue, don't vote in the poll.

Mick
he followed mark twain's advice: when in doubt, tell the truth.

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
It is. It's great. I've always liked it.

GS
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Now Agassi tells People Magazine he used meth periodically for "a year or so".
So which is it?---just once or much more than that?
This guy's credibility is going downhill. He got a $5 million advance for his book, so why all this crap with updated facts? More guilt coming out?

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Unless the voting is split up the middle the poll will show a consensus. In general, TT members appear pretty polarized on the issue... hence the good or bad options, only.

If you're indifferent on the issue, don't vote in the poll.

I don't think the majority is always right, far from it but I won't vote because the formulation of the poll is ambiguous: as I said before, it's bad for the sport that this kind of things happens but it's better to know it happens than think players are saints who always tell the truth and never do anything wrong when it's not the case.

bluetrain4
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
It's neither. The announcement came in October when we're all eager to discuss something interesting since the season is winding down and there are no more Slams left. Once the new season starts and 2.5 months have passed, the issue will be devoid of its novelty and "wow" factor.

But, expect a few trolls to ALWAYS bring it up when Agassi's name pop's up.

As I've stated in other posts, I actually think it's a pretty serious revelation, moreso the fact that he lied to the ATP about it, which makes me view Agassi slightly (but just slightly) less positively I don't think he's "heroic" by any means for admitting it, but at the same time, I don't think this eviscerates everything positive he has done through is career.

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Now Agassi tells People Magazine he used meth periodically for "a year or so".
So which is it?---just once or much more than that?
This guy's credibility is going downhill. He got a $5 million advance for his book, so why all this crap with updated facts?

He never said it was once, it lasted for a while and he's lucky he was able to get out of it.

bolo
10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Very good of course.

Nadal is on target as usual. If true and any preferential treatment was shown then the ATP is in the wrong and it's disrespectful to all sportsment and what are agassi's motivations for making this statement?

Bud
I don't think the majority is always right, far from it but I won't vote because the formulation of the poll is ambiguous: as I said before, it's bad for the sport that this kind of things happens but it's better to know it happens than think players are saints who always tell the truth and never do anything wrong when it's not the case.

It's not a majority/minority - right/wrong issue... a consensus is simply the opinion of the majority. You may not agree with it but it's how the majority (who choose to vote anonymously) feel about the issue.

veroniquem
It's neither. The announcement came in October when we're all eager to discuss something interesting since the season is winding down and there are no more Slams left. Once the new season starts and 2.5 months have passed, the issue will be devoid of its novelty and "wow" factor.

But, expect a few trolls to ALWAYS bring it up when Agassi's name pop's up.

As I've stated in other posts, I actually think it's a pretty serious revelation, moreso the fact that he lied to the ATP about it, which makes me view Agassi slightly (but just slightly) less positively I don't think he's "heroic" by any means for admitting it, but at the same time, I don't think this eviscerates everything positive he has done through is career.

But it IS heroic. As a beloved sport star would you ever volunteer an info like that? I bet not.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Ive already made my point in this thread, the question i wonder is...Would this had come out to the public sooner or later or never had he not stepped up to the plate ? If it had, THAT would be a disaster, now its just fine imo.

bluetrain4
10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
But it IS heroic. As a beloved sport star would you ever volunteer an info like that? I bet not.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. His philanthropic efforts are heroic in my opinion, but not this announcement.

Yeah, he admitted it, at a time when it has no effect whatsoever on his career. Admitting your wrong, that you lied is now an act of heroism? I guess we have different standards.

sureshs
10-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I am more interested in this guy "Slim."

Bud
10-30-2009, 01:49 PM

Lol! You and me. Slim sounds pretty shady, IMO :)

Steffi is slim (physically speaking) :shock:

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Very good of course.

Nadal is on target as usual. If true and any preferential treatment was shown then the ATP is in the wrong and it's disrespectful to all sportsment and what are agassi's motivations for making this statement?

I agree with the first part, not the last one. The only valid motivation when writing an autobiography is to be upfront about significant parts of your life (career) whether positive or negative. I can only hope that if Rafa wrote an autobiography, he would not consider "stonewalling" an appropriate option.

Chadwixx
10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Would this had come out to the public sooner or later or never had he not stepped up to the plate ?

You do realize he is selling a book? I read alot of these posts and the people supporting him seem to disreguard this fact.

He's had 12 years (4 without being in trouble with the wada) and he choose not to. Pretty obvious dude.

Cesc Fabregas
10-30-2009, 01:53 PM
This "Slim" character sounds dodgy as ****.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
You do realize he is selling a book? I read alot of these posts and the people supporting him seem to disreguard this fact.

He's had 12 years (4 without being in trouble with the wada) and he choose not to. Pretty obvious dude.
He is? :shock:
Get outta here!!
Had he not sold his book...then what?

jms007
10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Motives aside, I think it's a good thing.

Bud
10-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Motives aside, I think it's a good thing.

So, you think his motive (increased book sales) for confessing was questionable but overall the confession will be a positive thing?

jms007
10-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah, pretty much. At the very least the question of preferential treatment and corruption with ATP came up. Hopefully that will reduce the chances of the same thing happening in the future.

All-rounder
10-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Its good he confessed but bad that he kept it a secret for a long time

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-30-2009, 02:08 PM
“When Andre’s on, forget it,” says Sampras. “He does practically everything better than anybody else.”
:)
Source: Wikipedia

Bud
10-30-2009, 02:20 PM
“When Andre’s on, forget it,” says Sampras. “He does practically everything better than anybody else.”

When Andre's on what? :oops:

That's the question...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
You have to ask Pete that !

Chadwixx
10-30-2009, 02:27 PM

That's the question...

very nice :)

"Had he not sold his book...then what?"

It would of been like the previous 12 years im gonna say

Btw, anyone who thinks one of the biggest idols of all time endorsing drugs is a good thing, is a freaking idiot.

sureshs
10-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Was Slim really Nalbandian?

Bud
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Was Slim really Nalbandian?

Nalbandian would have been like 15 in 1997 :oops:

sureshs
10-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Sampras was slim.

Shangri La
10-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Really bad. He gave the sport a bad name and made ATP look like a complete fool.

kOaMaster
10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
not good.
telling cowardly how he took drugs and avoided punishments after he retired when he's trying to sell his autobiography is selfish, does not help tennis at all and shows how false even people you would not except it from can be.

:oops:
talking of the "source" wikipedia when you citate something is like taking people in here for full

jimbo333
10-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Good for Agassi's book sales.

Bad for the ATP and their rubbish (possibly corrupt) drug testing procedures, the sport of tennis in general and most importantly "Slim"!

(I wonder what happended to that bloke?)

sureshs
10-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Bad for the ATP and their rubbish (possibly corrupt) drug testing procedures, the sport of tennis in general and most importantly "Slim"!

He is an ATP official

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
not good.
telling cowardly how he took drugs and avoided punishments after he retired when he's trying to sell his autobiography is selfish, does not help tennis at all and shows how false even people you would not except it from can be.

:oops:
talking of the "source" wikipedia when you citate something is like taking people in here for full
It was meant as a joke to lighten up the mood around here.
And i dont even know what you mean with your post?

Bud
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Slim died from a blow to the head with a blunt object... possibly a tennis racquet :shock:

jimbo333
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
He is an ATP official

Nope, I was talking about these days:)

jimbo333
10-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Slim died from a blow to the head with a blunt object... possibly a tennis racquet :shock:

This has possibly been covered up by the ATP as well:)

pound cat
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
This revelation by Agassi had a purpose...and that is to sell a whole lot of his books.

Or maybe to reveal the duplcity of the ATP execs and tennis drug testers?

Or to point out the fact that he (and probably many others) don't like tennis at all...it's only a way to make a good living if you're good at tennis.

I think the intersting thing will be to follow Agassi now and see how the ATP handles this mess.

And how they handle the outcry from players and fans.

Agassi is sitting pretty, watching ATP squirm while he continues to get TV invites from Larry King and David Letterman.

And lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

jimbo333
10-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Have the ATP responded at all yet?

bolo
10-30-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree with the first part, not the last one. The only valid motivation when writing an autobiography is to be upfront about significant parts of your life (career) whether positive or negative. I can only hope that if Rafa wrote an autobiography, he would not consider "stonewalling" an appropriate option.

I think it's a fair question by nadal. It's a natural question for most people, and it's likely to be on many peoples minds. Like you say, most likely agassi did it because it's an autobiography.

Some commentary here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6897199.ece

naplesfltennis
10-30-2009, 05:21 PM
You forgot a choice in the poll.
Who cares!

Conquistador
10-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Have the ATP responded at all yet?

I have no idea. Andre methodically stated that the ATP did not catch him. So what the heck should the modern Doping association even care. Andre made it clear that he did cheat the system

Falloutjr
10-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I think it's a good thing; it's always nice to get a hands-on perspective of the life of professional athletes because we all know it's not as glamorous as we would like to think. Sure, they come out and put on a good show, but on an economic level, sports entertainment is a sleazy, sleazy business and I'm fascinated when athletes come out and spill the guts of the inner workings and show us what it's really about.

He experimented with drugs; honestly, how many of us haven't? Alcohol is a drug, which, generally, has been more dangerous to society than crystal meth. However, we have a more relaxed view on it. If he had come out and said he were an alcoholic, I think everyone would be coming out and supporting him, and not being bashed by Nadal, Navratilova, etc. We need to get over WHAT drug it is, and recognize that he went through a tough stretch of his life and support him for having both the will to quit and the courage to come out and admit it.

HollerOne5
10-30-2009, 05:47 PM
You CANNOT change the past. This happened over 12 years ago. I truly commend Andre Agassi for stepping up and admitting this. Better late than never.

As a public figure, its not enough for him to have a "living amends" and just feeling sorry and regretful about this with himself, and with God. This INVOLVES the public in some way, so for him to own up to it, publicly, is most definitely, the RIGHT thing to do.

If anything, I have even more respect for Andre now than I did before. You don't hear McEnroe owning up to the fact that he (allegedly) was doing a whole bunch of blow in the 70s. I'm just saying -- all hypothetical and nothing confirmed, but do you really think Agassi is the ONLY top name in the history of tennis that has done such a thing and never admitted it??????

TheTruth
10-30-2009, 05:53 PM

ROFL!! Best post ever!:)

Bud
10-30-2009, 08:24 PM
You forgot a choice in the poll.
Who cares!

Read between the lines... if you don't care, don't vote :-?

Keifers
10-30-2009, 11:00 PM
VERY BAD, not only does it give tennis a bad name, it was also for very selfish reasons so he could sell more copies of his book.
I agree. Why make his lying to the sport's officials the centerpiece of his book publicity campaign??

Pretty cheap trick, imo. Diminishes tennis and diminishes him. Blecch.

vive le beau jeu !
10-31-2009, 03:08 AM
here is 'slim', guys.
http://current.newsweek.com/budgettravel/pink%20elephant.jpg

jimbo333
10-31-2009, 05:21 AM
here is 'slim', guys.

LOL:)

And certainly don't ask him for a blowback!

bolo
10-31-2009, 06:13 AM
some more info. from wertheim on procedures when agassi was caught using meth:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/10/30/andre.agassi/

Gorecki
10-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Is that gj011:s avatar ?

now.. how would you know that? his ban was previous to your presence here!

Joe Pike
10-31-2009, 06:56 AM
So, you think his motive (increased book sales) for confessing was questionable but overall the confession will be a positive thing?

Where do you know from that increasing book sales was his motive?

Gorecki
10-31-2009, 06:57 AM
so slim is shady? who is the real slim? why is he shady?

jms007
10-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Will the real slim shady please stand up?
Someone had to do it

Gorecki
10-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Will the real slim shady please stand up?
Someone had to do it

10 char

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 10:28 AM
now.. how would you know that? his ban was previous to your presence here!
I think you are wrong, i even remember arguing with him like my first week here.
He critisized every post I made
:twisted:

Gorecki
10-31-2009, 10:45 AM
I think you are wrong, i even remember arguing with him like my first week here.
He critisized every post I made
:twisted:

07-01-2009, 05:07 PM

gj011
Banned

Jankovic was indeed the best player in the world at the end of last year and rankings correctly reflected that. She is not any more and rankings show that too.

ermm.... NO!:oops:

zagor
10-31-2009, 11:04 AM
07-01-2009, 05:07 PM

gj011
Banned

ermm.... NO!:oops:

But TMOP has joined this forum in February while Gj011 was banned for the second time(permanently that time)on July the first(around Wimbledon QF between Haas and Novak)so he was still an active poster when TMOP joined.

Edit: I get your what confused you.In this forum when they display the date the first number is the month not the day of the month.

sureshs
10-31-2009, 11:10 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/10/30/andre.agassi/

Jon Wertheim:

I spoke with Mark Miles, the ATP's CEO at the time, and it bears mention that the book seems to be a bit sloppy on the procedure. When a player tested positive, the issue was put before an independent panel, made up of former federal judges and the like -- not former players or ATP execs or anything like that. Inasmuch as Agassi was exonerated, it was by the panel not the ATP itself.

The drug testing and policy has since been revamped so that everything is handled by an independent WADA. Both practically and procedurally this makes sense. Still, the notion that "the ATP swept Agassi's positive test under the rug" is wrong-headed.

I'm curious to see the public reaction here. Yes, it was 12 years ago and the drugs were of the recreational variety, not the performance-enhancing variety. Still, Agassi didn't merely commit the crime; he then lied and acted manipulatively in the cover-up. On the other hand, I think for some it will add to his transformational tale.
I'm curious to see the public reaction here. Yes, it was 12 years ago and the drugs were of the recreational variety, not the performance-enhancing variety. Still, Agassi didn't merely commit the crime; he then lied and acted manipulatively in the cover-up. On the other hand, I think for some it will add to his transformational tale.

Bud
10-31-2009, 12:02 PM
here is 'slim', guys.

That balloon does appear to be tweaking :-?

Gorecki
10-31-2009, 12:09 PM
But TMOP has joined this forum in February while Gj011 was banned for the second time(permanently that time)on July the first(around Wimbledon QF between Haas and Novak)so he was still an active poster when TMOP joined.

Edit: I get your what confused you.In this forum when they display the date the first number is the month not the day of the month.

oh... american way...
:) my bad...

Bud
10-31-2009, 12:10 PM
ZAG... that date is GJ's last post...

January...

Look at The Mop's join date!

That's July (July 01, 2009), not January. These dates are in American format :oops:

Chadwixx
10-31-2009, 12:11 PM
I spoke with Mark Miles, the ATP's CEO at the time, and it bears mention that the book seems to be a bit sloppy on the procedure. When a player tested positive, the issue was put before an independent panel, made up of former federal judges and the like -- not former players or ATP execs or anything like that. Inasmuch as Agassi was exonerated, it was by the panel not the ATP itself.

He did meth for a year, this was the only test he failed? Sorry i dont buy anything either of these clowns have to say.

Please dont use sport illustrated in reguards to tennis, they know as much as my shoe.

sureshs
10-31-2009, 12:17 PM
He did meth for a year, this was the only test he failed? Sorry i dont buy anything either of these clowns have to say.

Please dont use sport illustrated in reguards to tennis, they know as much as my shoe.

How frequent was drug testing then?

Your not believing anything doesn't change anything, though. I cannot also believe in anything, but the world goes on.

Come up with something constructive, otherwise your value is just the same as your shoe.

sureshs
10-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Finished reading the excerpt in SI.

Mike Agassi is turning out to be more and more of a jerk. He seemed to be just one step removed from landing in prison. He terrorized Andre in his childhood. Some of the incidents would have been really traumatic to a child. I don't want to give away anything here and you can read it yourself.

Bud
10-31-2009, 12:23 PM

Mike Agassi is turning out to be more and more of a jerk. He seemed to be just one step removed from landing in prison. He terrorized Andre in his childhood. Some of the incidents would have been really traumatic to a child. I don't want to give away anything here and you can read it yourself.

I wonder how his relationship is currently with his father... :-?

What about his mom... we never hear anything about her role in shaping Agassi

mandy01
10-31-2009, 12:24 PM

This is one of the reasons why I still love Andre..he could've been way worse with a parent like that.

sureshs
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I wonder how his relationship is currently with his father... :-?

What about his mom... we never hear anything about her role in shaping Agassi

Agassi has made sure Mike is well taken care of financially. I think they have gone their own ways and his father will live out his twilight years in peace and dignity.

Check out the very last paragraph in the SI excerpt after Agassi's last match.

It will be clear that the tormented person was not only the son.

Bud
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Agassi has made sure Mike is well taken care of financially. I think they have gone their own ways and his father will live out his twilight years in peace and dignity.

Check out the very last paragraph in the SI excerpt after Agassi's last match.

It will be clear that the tormented person was not only the son.

Here's his mom... first pic I've seen of her...

http://www.tennisite.org/AD20020521MilkwAgassi.JPG/AD20020521MilkwAgassi-full;init:.JPG

Chadwixx
10-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Great post, id like to follow with

I dont think its been mentioned yet... :)

sureshs
10-31-2009, 01:01 PM

Great post, id like to follow with

I dont think its been mentioned yet... :)

Just to be clear: those were the words of Jon Wertheim, not mine

ace0001a
10-31-2009, 01:26 PM
I didn't vote on the poll of this thread because I look at it as sort of a double edged sort: Yes it's good that Andre's humanity allows him to show his very much fallible side. While I am often critical of celebrity train wrecks myself (recent examples of Britney Spears or Lindsey Lohan), as a fan of Tennis I am happy that Andre was able to overcome adversity to become the gentleman he is today. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder if this puts a black mark on the game of tennis, or at least the people who govern it. Though in general, I don't think it will leave that much of a lasting impression once the proverbial smoke clears. You can look it this as "no publicity is bad publicity" in aiding book sales, stirred up by those who still manage Agassi's business. I honestly don't feel his intent here was to rock the boat so to speak and more so of a coming clean journey. Some will say I'm in that "love is blind" catagory, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me all that much. I am a fan of many things, but never to the point where it completely rules my way of thinking or the way I perceive things. I also honestly believe there will be haters for everything (and I don't mean anything derogatory about it), it's a simply fact of life that not everyone likes everything or the same things. So I'm not surprised about all the negativity surrounding this. There are also those who seem to have a "holier than though" attitude and/or look at things from a black and white point of view and I can respect that to a certain extent. I myself just honestly feel that the reality of life is often shades of gray along side the black and white. Like an online article I read about this, I tend to agree with the perspective that this is a gray area topic that shouldn't make Agassi into a bad guy. People will think what they want to think and to that I say to each their own...

taffymoon
11-01-2009, 12:43 AM
What makes u think the latest story is the truth? He has shown he would lie in the past in order to profit - why not now? Who knows what the truth is with this guy...

sureshs
11-01-2009, 09:02 AM
What makes u think the latest story is the truth? He has shown he would lie in the past in order to profit - why not now? Who knows what the truth is with this guy...

I agree. There is no guarantee that this the truth. Like he said he was mixing lies and truth in his letter to the ATP, he could be doing the same in this book. Who knows, he might be on drugs again.

Bud
11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
So... we now discover he knowingly used other amphetamines as well :oops:

What other skeletons will pop out of his closet :-?

NamRanger
11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I agree. There is no guarantee that this the truth. Like he said he was mixing lies and truth in his letter to the ATP, he could be doing the same in this book. Who knows, he might be on drugs again.

There is no guarantee that you are speaking from an unbiased perspective. Therefore, all of your comments should be disregarded.

Bud
11-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Hopefully, he sells a ton of books since his reputation and legacy are crashing and burning around him.

Chadwixx
11-01-2009, 12:39 PM
I wonder if he put anything in the book about graf? Seems its the only bridge left he hasnt burned. Im going to say he left her out because he is a coward.

NamRanger
11-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Hopefully, he sells a ton of books since his reputation and legacy are crashing and burning around him.

I agree, however Agassi is sacrificing his reputation and legacy to show the world who he really was, and who the ATP is. Noble indeed.

settolove
11-01-2009, 12:51 PM
More on the ATP

Andre Agassi’s positive drug test was well-guarded secret at the ATP
By PETE ALFANO

palfano@star-telegram.com

A high-ranking ATP executive nodded toward me, indicating he had something to tell me in private. We walked to where we couldn’t be heard and he said words to the effect that we had a major anti-doping violation on our hands.

This wasn’t a player ranked No. 200 that only his family knew was pursuing a professional tennis career, but "the big fish" that critics of the men’s professional tennis tour suspected we were unwilling to hook because of how it might taint the game.

The player was Andre Agassi.

I was vice president of communications for the ATP then and part of the chain of how anti-doping violations and other issues were handled. I was usually informed by the tour’s chief executive officer, Mark Miles, and my task was to prepare a Q&A, anticipating everything the media might ask if a suspension was announced and to include the basic facts about the ATP’s anti-doping policy.

Once the Q&A was reviewed and approved by Miles, it was distributed to tour executives in our offices in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., Monte Carlo, London and Sydney. This was the script they would use when questioned by the media.

So, it was unusual that I learned about Agassi’s positive test from the executive, who will remain nameless, but I figured I would be hearing from the CEO in short order anyway. This news could have far-reaching repercussions, as it is having now after Agassi revealed drug use in his soon-to-be-published autobiography, Open.

But I never heard a word from Miles, from the day I was told until I left the ATP for the Star-Telegram in August of 1998. I didn’t ask, either, because I didn’t want the executive who confided in me to be reprimanded — or worse. But it was troubling knowing we had a positive test from a player who was one of the best-known athletes in the world, and yet, the crisis management plan wasn’t being put into motion.
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1727025.html

Chadwixx
11-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I agree, however Agassi is sacrificing his reputation and legacy to show the world who he really was, and who the ATP is. Noble indeed.

He isnt doing it to be noble, he is doing it to make money, which makes him a sell out. Not sure why people dont see the difference. If he wasnt trying to personally profit he would of kept it a secret for another 12 years, how noble is that?

Baikalic
11-01-2009, 01:29 PM
In the end nobody knows definitively the reasons why Agassi chose to include it; it could be to sell more copies, it could be to make peace with himself and get closure, or any other reason. Only he and probably people close to him know his personal reasons for doing so. All this is speculation...

jimbo333
11-01-2009, 04:18 PM
We need another poll I reckon!

Who is gonna come out worse from this in the end, Agassi or the ATP?

NamRanger
11-01-2009, 04:46 PM
He isnt doing it to be noble, he is doing it to make money, which makes him a sell out. Not sure why people dont see the difference. If he wasnt trying to personally profit he would of kept it a secret for another 12 years, how noble is that?

You mean he would have just said it without the intent of selling a book.

World Beater
11-01-2009, 05:01 PM
LOL @ everyone saying agassi is selfish. yeah so, is like everyone else on the planet.

agassi's book sure looks like a very interesting read...

movies do this all the time - they are called teaser trailers to get you to watch it in its entirety.

Outbeyond
11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I think his confession is a bad thing. Not that it doesn't have its upsides (truth from the mouth of a legend, middle finger to The Man, etc.), but it's got that Agassi's-way-too-self-conscious kind-of feeling to it. Did he have to come out and admit his hair was a wig? Why was that so important to share? And, jeez, crystal meth aside, did he often take a speed pill from the hand of his father just prior to a match? What about Grand Slams then? - did he take speed prior to them, too? If he's not careful with his various revelations, we'll just fill in the blanks, and that'll be especially bad.

Someone on another tennis-talk website surmised that Agassi's sudden break with his long, longtime manager, Perry, late in 2008 could be a clue to Agassi's recent mea culpas. Perry sued Steffi, Agassi's wife, for $50,000 in unpaid fees at the time and his break with Agassi was apparently sudden and left dangling unexplained in the press. Could Agassi be trying to beat Perry to the punch with the latest revelations? Heck, who knows? Mind you, Perry could also have absolutely nothing to do with Agassi's curent book-bawling.

No, Agassi's confession is bad primarily because it hasn't come to an end yet. First it was crystal meth (yawn), then it was lying (hmm) then it was an ATP cover-up (yo) then it was a fake mullet (yikes) then it was speed-pilling before a live match in Chicago (egads)...what next??? THAT's why it's bad to me!!

CCNM
11-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I still don't know what to think. :( I am certainly disappointed in him, but to "throw him under the bus" seems a little extreme. I hope that his conscience is cleared now....

jimbo333
11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Thinking about it, Agassi doesn't need the money, so this book must really be about him clearing his conscience!

Why else would he mention some of the things he is going on about?

Morrissey
11-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Some people refuse to believe EVEN when the very person admits to having done it. If you don't believe it now, you never will.

jimbo333
11-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Some people refuse to believe EVEN when the very person admits to having done it. If you don't believe it now, you never will.

Believe what?

Bud
11-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Who doesn't believe he did meth?

Bud
11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Believe what?

Jimbo, did you receive my email regarding the grips?

Alejandro D
11-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Come on. We all knew that Agassi was using. You have to be on drugs to wear that wig.

drakulie
11-02-2009, 08:26 AM
More on the ATP

Andre Agassi’s positive drug test was well-guarded secret at the ATP
By PETE ALFANO

palfano@star-telegram.com (palfano@star-telegram.com)

A high-ranking ATP executive nodded toward me, indicating he had something to tell me in private. We walked to where we couldn’t be heard and he said words to the effect that we had a major anti-doping violation on our hands.

This wasn’t a player ranked No. 200 that only his family knew was pursuing a professional tennis career, but "the big fish" that critics of the men’s professional tennis tour suspected we were unwilling to hook because of how it might taint the game.

The player was Andre Agassi.

I was vice president of communications for the ATP then and part of the chain of how anti-doping violations and other issues were handled. I was usually informed by the tour’s chief executive officer, Mark Miles, and my task was to prepare a Q&A, anticipating everything the media might ask if a suspension was announced and to include the basic facts about the ATP’s anti-doping policy.

Once the Q&A was reviewed and approved by Miles, it was distributed to tour executives in our offices in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., Monte Carlo, London and Sydney. This was the script they would use when questioned by the media.

So, it was unusual that I learned about Agassi’s positive test from the executive, who will remain nameless, but I figured I would be hearing from the CEO in short order anyway. This news could have far-reaching repercussions, as it is having now after Agassi revealed drug use in his soon-to-be-published autobiography, Open.

But I never heard a word from Miles, from the day I was told until I left the ATP for the Star-Telegram in August of 1998. I didn’t ask, either, because I didn’t want the executive who confided in me to be reprimanded — or worse. But it was troubling knowing we had a positive test from a player who was one of the best-known athletes in the world, and yet, the crisis management plan wasn’t being put into motion.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1727025.html

WOW!!! How could this be??

Veroniquem(~soso~), The Truth, Blinkism, cesc, namelessone, and all the other *******s swear up and down there is no way the ATP would or could ever cover up for an ATP player. I mean, what benefit could there possibly be for them? :roll:

LiveForever
11-02-2009, 08:36 AM

Veroniquem(~soso~), The Truth, Blinkism, cesc, namelessone, and all the other *******s swear up and down there is no way the ATP would or could ever cover up for an ATP player. I mean, what benefit could there possibly be for them? :roll:
From what I have read, some Nadal fans are so thick that they think the ATP wont cover for Nadal because the ATP is comprised of bunch of Federer fans who are upset that Nadal beats Federer. :shock:

I am not saying anyone is doping but I think it is as clear as day that the ATP will bust their asses covering up for top stars like Federer and Nadal.

THUNDERVOLLEY
11-02-2009, 08:37 AM
For an unbiased consensus on the issue.

This is a totally anonymous poll that asks a simple question:

Is this confession by Agassi (in his new book) a good thing or a bad thing?

Also, please no flaming other users if they choose to post their opinion on the issue. I'd like this poll and thread to remain unlocked and accessible for the future :grin:

Thanks!

Eh. This is typically self-serving Agassi. It is neither good or bad for tennis, as he (as I mentioned in another thread) cannot make or break the sport; he's not that significant. The revealation of his love of drugs is all to "out" himself as the "repentant good guy" before someone else did so in a scandalous manner. PR again and again.

CMM
11-02-2009, 08:38 AM

"Federer, the 28-year-old world No 1, has appointed Stéphane Vivier, one of seven ATP physiotherapists, to travel with him full time to make sure that he is in the finest physical shape every time he plays."

Of course thay would cover Nadal. And they would do exactly the same with any other star, including Federer. I don't understand what's your point.

drakulie
11-02-2009, 08:42 AM
^^^my point is, that you have none, and are a soon to be banished **** (yet again).

TheTruth
11-02-2009, 06:03 PM

What a fantastic list you have there. Kudos!

namelessone
11-02-2009, 10:58 PM

You and the doping brigade have a gift for generalizations,and you just love to lump everyone together,whether it is nadal fans(or ***** according to you) or tennis stars being covered by the ATP.

If Agassi was covered up then surely they would do the same for Nadal,right?
Or as another ******* said,how come Nadal was tired in the 5 setter in Miami but he was fresh in Rome in another 5 setter a few weeks later? The thing is,if you look hard enough,you can find "evidence" of foul play almost anywhere in tennis and other sport. And again,why single out Nadal? There are dozens of other players who have "ballooned" as some of you put it but somehow their names never get mentioned. There are other guys out there with mad endurance,way more cut than Nadal,way more muscled than Nadal yet we never hear about them. It's always Nadal,Nadal,Nadal.

We don't have any proof of Nadal's guilt other than speculation and that he was "linked" to the puerto operacion via a french newspaper and we all know how much the frenchies love nadal,putting him down ever since he stepped on court in 05'(see guy forget's remarks about Nadal back then). Of course,to you and others the spanish government is withholding that list just cause Nadal is on it,nevermind the fact that there are probably some VERY FAMOUS footballers on that list,way more popular than Nadal,in Spain or in the world. No,let's just focus on Nadal because they said tennis players are on that list.

Could Nadal have doped? Definitely,but unless I some real evidence he is innocent to me. Anyway Nadal has balls if he takes a swipe at ATP officials for covering up agassi if they are covering him also at the time.

Far more daunting for you and the brigade is explaining how does Nadal get his ****(since he has been using in the 2004-2009 period),since fuentes has been arested since 06' if I am not mistaken. As for using WB withdrawal as "proof" for him being guilty,let me just tell that inflamed knees don't care much for a tournament's prestige and that Nadal also missed RG 04' with an ankle injury and AO 06' due to a foot injury.

Blinkism
11-02-2009, 11:13 PM

I don't think I've ever said that there is no way the ATP would or could ever cover up for an ATP player.

I've simply said that there is no evidence for that, in regards to Nadal. Only speculation and circumstance. If there was real evidence then it would be hard to deny the facts.

Thanks for paying attention to detail, drak! :)

So, again, let us know what your little video proved about Nadal during Wimbledon, and the whereabouts of laptop girl? We need you to break the story! Time is of the essence!

Cody
11-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Kudos to agassi for confessing this,

The thing i hate is that he timed it with the release of his new book, a very low thing to do.:evil:

Bud
11-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Kudos to agassi for confessing this,

The thing i hate is that he timed it with the release of his new book, a very low thing to do.:evil:

That's the only reason he confessed it.

Cody
11-03-2009, 12:57 AM

Yeh, I wondar what his motive was, he doesn't really need more money but having a best selling book is worth slot of fame points

Gorecki
11-03-2009, 01:55 AM

funny... reminds me of a certain song you might heard before...

The boy with the thorn in his side
Behind the hatred there lies
A murderous desire for love
How can they look into my eyes
And still they don't believe me ?
How can they hear me say those words
Still they don't believe me ?
And if they don't believe me now
Will they ever believe me ? And if they don't believe me now
Will they ever, they ever, believe me ?
Oh ...

The boy with the thorn in his side
Behind the hatred there lies
A plundering desire for love
How can they see the Love in our eyes
And still they don't believe us ?
And after all this time
They don't want to believe us
And if they don't believe us now
Will they ever believe us ?
And when you want to Live
How do you start ?
Where do you go ?
Who do you need to know ?

drakulie
11-03-2009, 04:47 AM
You and the doping brigade have a gift for generalizations,and you just love to lump everyone together,whether it is nadal fans(or ***** according to you) or tennis stars being covered by the ATP.

YOU and many of the others I have pointed out have made it clear the ATP would neither be able to cover up for a tennis player who has been caught doping, nor would they have any reason to do so.

YOU and the others are clearly wrong.

Nadal has balls if he takes a swipe at ATP officials for covering up agassi if they are covering him also at the time.

and they clearly are. In addition, he does have "balls" calling out the ATP and AA, while he defends Gasquet, and constantly criticizes the doping policy/procedure. He is clearly a hypocrite who loves double standards as long as they don't affect him.

I don't think I've ever said that there is no way the ATP would or could ever cover up for an ATP player.

You need to go back and look at all your posts where you not only defend him, but side with posters who clearly say there is no way the ATP could or would cover up for a tennis player caught doping.

TheTruth
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Fed/Canas?

r2473
11-03-2009, 02:00 PM

He's just keepin' it real ;-)

Gorecki
11-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Fed/Canas?

3 vs 3

all matches played on masters series...

ArchEtech
11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I don't know what the big deal is. Most professional sports types have issues... and not one is perfect. I bet there are plenty of pro tennis players who use performance enhancing drugs as well - don't kid yourself. I'm sure there are pro tennis players doing blow right now at a night club - lots of people do, just as lots of people made stupid decisions at times. I don't know how this news makes a lick of difference for his talent or what he did for the game of tennis. He was like a Tiger woods during the beginning and at the end of his career, be it to a MUCH lesser degree and less dominate. But he still made people interested in the sport and played with raw talent. he wasn't a big guy, and wasn't the most athletic - just raw talent. On his second coming we saw what he could have been for a great many more years had he gotten his head out of his as sooner in his career.

I'm tired of hearing people ***** about keeping the sport clean... give me a break. No pro sports is clean. Maybe thats why he brought it up, simply to start talk that Pro tennis has all the problems of the NFL, NBA, and MLB......and to sell books! Can't fault him for that. How many people who ***** about him just wanting the sell books, think that Al Gore is on his "Green" mision for ANY other reason. HAHAHAAHAHAH.

TheTruth
11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
3 vs 3

all matches played on masters series...

No, Fed's stance on drugs regarding Agassi and Canas.

Gorecki
11-03-2009, 02:34 PM

oh... my bad...

but now that you ask, his stance is just as hypocritical as Nadal's...
agassi attacking and gasquet defending...

but that is just me...:)

kishnabe
11-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Yup Same here. He might be someone in this tennis world or maybe Agassi himself.
I bet his confession is a good thing, since we can all relate to agassi in a way.

TheTruth
11-03-2009, 08:29 PM
oh... my bad...

but now that you ask, his stance is just as hypocritical as Nadal's...
agassi attacking and gasquet defending...

but that is just me...:)

That's interesting.

Your views I mean.

Kind of funny too, as I didn't see you in here bashing Fed for his views.

Just Nadal.

You remind me of someone...

Gorecki
11-03-2009, 11:26 PM
That's interesting.

Your views I mean.

Kind of funny too, as I didn't see you in here bashing Fed for his views.

Just Nadal.

You remind me of someone...

in that case you should look better... :)

zagor
11-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Fed/Canas?

Canas's and Agassi's case aren't comparable because Canas was accused and banned for doping(performance enhancing drugs)while Agassi/Gasquet used recreational drugs,that's a huge difference.Punishment for doping is much,much more severe than for being caught using recreational drugs.The player who takes performance enhancing rugs(which is still not certain Canas did as he still mantains his innocence)has un unfair advantage over his fellow competitors while the player who uses recreational(non performance enhancing drug)is only affecting himself.

gowrath
11-04-2009, 04:49 AM
Agassi did take performance-enhancing drugs--not crystal meth in this case, but a separate instance of amphetamine...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2009-11-01-agassi-excerpt_N.htm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ieykmi1PyOZBrgw5iYLXHD7fEC0QD9BMT7500

<--There you go...

For an analysis of all things news related to the Agassi drug scandal,

visit www.atpblogger.com

mbrose1994
11-04-2009, 10:02 AM
This "confession" serves no purpose except to Aggasi himself. The not so subtle message to kids is, you can do drugs, recover and be great like me.

Adults, probably, hopefully. are not as susceptible to the between the lines message. Adults by definition have to deal with the good, bad and ugly of reality daily.

But children, kids, junior tennis players, ie, NOT adults, are greatly impacted by people like Aggasi. The affect on many kids is well known, the clear if unspoken understanding is, since he did it, and got away with it, so can I. Maybe I will someday when I hit hard times.

Aggasi could have kept this "confession" private. It cannot inspire non-drug users, only perhaps some drug users who happen to be great athletes. Seems the far greater good, much bigger percentage of who is helped, is helping "shield" kids a bit more instead of less.

Texastennis
11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
The separate case of speed was as a JUNIOR.

sureshs
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
The separate case of speed was as a JUNIOR.

Good point. Many posters don't realize this.

TennisD
11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
he followed mark twain's advice: when in doubt, tell the truth.
Very well said.

It can be viewed as both, I suppose; on the one hand, he made a difficult personal decision to reveal a lot about himself at a particularly dark time in his life. That this decision happened to be financially lucrative is irrelevant. On the other hand, he has (in the eyes of some, though I'm definitely not one of them) tarnished his reputation, and burned the ATP BADLY. His admission makes them look incredibly stupid because it suggests they either simply threw out his drug test because his name is Andre Agassi, or their supposed investigation of the event and his subsequent claim of accidental ingestion wasn't especially thorough.

However, it's possible that this could actually be a good thing (in the long run) for the ATP. This revelation is really putting a hurt on their reputation and credibility at the moment, so this event could conceivably lead to either a revision of their doping policies, or possibly even tighter control and greater transparency thereof, making the sport cleaner as a whole. Admittedly though, that's a pretty optimistic/idealized look at the situation.

All I'm going to say is that I really won't be surprised if someone in the Top 40 suddenly fails a career-ending drug test in the next 2-3 months...

Could Agassi have admitted his drug use without also admitting that he got caught and lied to avoid a suspension? Absolutely. It would have probably saved him and the ATP a few headaches. But at the same time it wouldn't have been the whole truth, wiping the slate clean, and I think to someone like Agassi that would have been far worse than lying about or covering up the whole event altogether.

sureshs
11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
"When in doubt, speak the truth" is meant as a guide to immediate action, with the action needing to happen in the very near future. It is not a guide for a gratuitous statement made after the statute of limitations has expired, with the help of lawyers, and days before a book launch. Absolutely no applicability to the situation in this case.

TennisD
11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
"When in doubt, speak the truth" is meant as a guide to immediate action, with the action needing to happen in the very near future. It is not a guide for a gratuitous statement made after the statute of limitations has expired, with the help of lawyers, and days before a book launch. Absolutely no applicability to the situation in this case.
Well don't we have a bunch of morally righteous, upstanding citizens on this board. I suppose that, in the same situation, having made a rather large mistake as Agassi did, you'd simply say "Yep, totally all me, please go ahead and effectively end my career"? Please, give me a break. I'm not saying that Agassi was right in lying, or condoning any of his actions (OR the ATP's recreational drug policy for that matter) but it's funny that so many people are using his revelation to put themselves on a sort of moral high ground. Good for them though, if their egos really needs that sort of boost I guess they've got to take what they can get.

EDIT: not a personal attack on you by any means, sureshs, but it's just frustrating to read all of the ridiculous "outrage" that this has caused.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
11-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't consider it good or bad, or the feel the need to label it. It happened. That's that.

Texastennis
11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
One thing I can't fathom - people saying he shouldn't have said anything. So he should just have gone on with the lie? That's so wierd to me. Sooner would have been better but better late than never. I can't see anyway in which not telling would have been better.

Early reviews are very good:

EW
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20317243,00.html

Time
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1934997,00.html

Maybe we should try reading the book?

LiveForever
11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Good point. Many posters don't realize this.
Exactly. Many posters here probably didnt even read the excerpts. All that can be said is that people enjoy talking out of the rear.

TennisD
11-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't consider it good or bad, or the feel the need to label it. It happened. That's that.
YES! Finally, a rational post! THANK YOU!

SquashPlayer
11-06-2009, 08:21 AM
I think never before from the Tennis world have we gotten a bunch of poseurs like we've gotten in the aftermath of the Agassi "confession" to using Meth. The Royal Poseur award goes to Navratilova, who compared Agassi to Roger Clemens. Well.

I was a Navratilova fan when it wasn't in vogue, when she played the role of the villain opposite the people's hero, Chris Evert. I could care less that she is gay, and I felt for her given her tortured career. I admired her work ethic and intellect.

No more.

It wasn't just the Agassi comment. She's been chipping away at respectability for a while now. Now she's put the nail in it.

Observe:

1) the details revealed of her private life don't reveal a giving considerate person, she apparently discarded her last partner like trash

2) in recent years, observing her combative commentary on the air, it's really grated on me. It's not that she's not entitled to her opinion, it's just that she's frequently dismissive of her broadcast partners (maybe like her private life partners)

3) now, the Agassi comment

Out of left field. Makes you wonder what kind of relationship was there beforehand that she so quickly took the opportunity to pounce.

Comparing Agassi to Clemens ? Lets see, she fails the intellect test there.
Clemens was a starting pitcher when he took performance enhancing drugs, and that is alleged. Agassi ? Out of the top 100, the drug he took wouldn't help him crush any backhands, far from it. I wonder if Agassi's religious beliefs are what is at the heart of this attack.

I'm done with Navratilova. She's an aging, self-absorbed poseur