PDA

View Full Version : Pinpoint and Platform service stances

TonyJ
10-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone give me a good rundown between the two including where your feet would be positioned and the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Thanks

darthpwner
10-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Platform keeps your feet apart and gives you greater control. Pinpoint moves your feet together and gives you more power.

TonyJ
10-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Anyone else give me more details....just curious

2ndServe
10-31-2009, 02:05 PM
pinpoint is what I used when I s & volleyed. I'm sure almost every s&v of the past used this with the exception of boris becker. It helps with the transfer of weight and if you have a smooth motion it's rather effortless and you'll never get tired even in the 3rd or 5th set.

Nobody s&volleys now so I think the platform may be better now. But you need a strong lower body for this as all the good platform servers seem to have great knee bends and explode up. I've been in a car accident so my knees aren't very strong. I prefer pinpoint and I think it'll be easier for older players and doubles players.

moopie
10-31-2009, 03:12 PM
pinpoint is what I used when I s & volleyed. I'm sure almost every s&v of the past used this with the exception of boris becker.

uh... sampras :)

2ndServe
10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
uh... sampras :)

no he starts out platform but like many his back leg sways around, his is more of a slide into later than others so it looks more platform but it's nearly pinpoint when he explodes up. That is from memory I obviously haven't seen him play in some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DpptgXq5j4&feature=related

if you freeze frame at about 47 seconds before he leaves the ground. I think both legs are pretty close to pinpoint right before take off.

Geezer Guy
10-31-2009, 04:59 PM
For me, the advantage of platform is that your feet don't move from their starting position. Basically, you start with your feet in the final position you want to have when you hit the ball. I like it because I don't have to worry about foot faulting, and there's less variation in my foot position. With pinpoint there's a chance that when you move your feet during the service motion you may foot fault or you may move your feet into the wrong position which could effect your serve.

dproject
10-31-2009, 06:36 PM
how about roddick's serve? is it considered as pinpoint or platform?

TonyJ
10-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks all but can someone explain where your feet would be for a platform v pinpoint?

Cody
10-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Roddick is pinpoint

Anyway my stance is similar to karlovic minus the being 6'10.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmSMJhIUqU
Cody

Vyse
10-31-2009, 09:09 PM
roddick is pinpoint along iwth nadal, monfils, tsonga i think. federer is platform

Cody
10-31-2009, 09:14 PM
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/serve/advanced-serve-technique/the-various-serve-stances/

This is a good video on stances.

nfor304
10-31-2009, 09:30 PM
pinpoint is what I used when I s & volleyed. I'm sure almost every s&v of the past used this with the exception of boris becker.

Sampras, McEnroe, Pat Cash

MasturB
10-31-2009, 11:21 PM
I think they're just two different ways to start out, but I think pinpoint is more of a timing mechanism than anything. In baseball, some players have timing mechanisms in their swing when they hit the ball. Chipper Jones and Barry Bonds have used a toe tap their entire careers.

When I see Federer serve, when he lunges into the air to hit the ball, his legs and feet are in the same position a pinpoint person's would be, but we all know he starts off on platform.

I think pinpoint gives you more body momentum (which is like sliding into the serve since you're dragging your feet), which I guess would lead to more power.

Platform I suppose is for more control, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.