PDA

View Full Version : Service Stance

darthpwner
10-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I use a sort of McEnroe stance where my left foot is parallel to the baseline and my right foot tilted 45 degrees to the right (I'm right-handed). I find that the toss is naturally further behind my head and I could more easily keep my head up so I dont dump the serve into the net. However, unlike McEnroe, I have my upper body facing into the court, so I could more easily generate power. Should I stick to my old stance, or go with the traditional left foot points at net post and right foot parallel to baseline.

I serve similar to Alex Claytonhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6MM5NK4e-A

tennis_balla
10-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Use whatever works best for you, although its difficult on here to give you an accurate assessment without a video being posted of your serve.

By the way, must be a sad state for college tennis right now attendance wise if you got Stanford - UCLA playing and an empty stadium.

LeeD
11-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Of course, the previous advice of using whatever works is best.
We're all different, do things differently, and purely copying anyone's style is never the best way to hit serves the best we can.
Pace, placement, consistency, replicability, don't hurt you, and effectiveness are some keys.