PDA

View Full Version : Stringing method with flying clamps

glpsace
10-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Hello,

I donīt know nothing about stringing but want to get a machine for my own personal pleasure.
In the future I will get a Stringway M90 with flying clamps (double and triple clamp)
I have been watching all Youlitle videos but all the string patterns are done with fixed clamps and therfore, in my poor understanding, the technics he uses for knots without loosing tension and so on are not valid for flying clamps. It is also a pitty that he never used a dropweight machine just to demonstrate the newbyes like miself about this diferent method.
Anyway my biggest problem therefore will be choosing a method that with flying clamps will allow to deal with those first mains and first corsses and knots loosing tension issues. Iīm kind of lost there.
I read about the Jaycee method with both double and triple SW clamps but for a rookie like myself is kind of hard to visualise it from all the "encrypted" codes he uses with a few fotos.
With flying clamps and dropweight machine which method do you use?
I forgot and this is very important. As all of my rackets are mainly Yonex, I will always do 2 pieces stringjob (hybrid) with crosses having 2 pounds less. Mostly also at higher tensions (60/58).
Finally which knots are preffered when finishing the mains and for crosses?

ryangoring
10-30-2009, 06:28 PM
here just read it.......
sorry it is late and i was ****ed off.....just search and you shall find:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295324

coyfish
10-30-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxcs5dUoE8

You can do the same job with fixed or flying clamps. Makes no difference. In fact the flying is probably better because you can clamp even closer to the gromets.

I have a klippermate and I couldn't be happier. Im a 4.5 player and the stringjobs are perfect.

Classic_Obsession
10-30-2009, 08:56 PM

You can do the same job with fixed or flying clamps. Makes no difference. In fact the flying is probably better because you can clamp even closer to the gromets.

I have a klippermate and I couldn't be happier. Im a 4.5 player and the stringjobs are perfect.

Kllippermate is a GREAT stringing machine. I had to leave it at home due to its weight and have been using my roommate's Silent Partner Swing. Personally, I really miss the klippermate. I even use klippermate clamps while stringing with the swing. IMHO swing feels like a toy compared to heavy duty klippermate.

ryangoring
10-31-2009, 03:23 AM

Coyfish thanks for showing that vid, I forgot about that one.
Almerickso videos gave me more insight when I started to string on the x2.
Then progressed into YULitle

glpsace
10-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Thank you. Yes I already knew that video but unfortunetly for somoeone with no experience it is not easy to see what he is doing in detail. The camera is a little far away and he not always explains the process is undertaking. I was very interested in the starting of the crosses, but couldnīt see much of what he did in detail. Just the main idea... still a very good help indeed, as all of the Youlittle videos. Precious!

kcmiser
10-31-2009, 08:24 AM

I may be wrong about this, but watching that vid', he seems not to tension each string. First of all, to explain as clearly as I can what I am seeing, I will refer to strings by number, counting from center out, and I will also add a letter indicating which side of the racquet, L or R, when viewing the racquet right side up (irrespective of whether or not the racquet may be upside down at any particular moment in either video). That is, the left side strings from the middle out are L1, L2, L3... Right side is R1, R2, to R8 as the last string on the right in a 16 main racquet.

So it looks like he clamps L1 and R1 a few inches above the throat before tensioning anything. Fine. Feed the left string over top and down through the throat grommet. (This is L2). Tension L2. Clamp L2 to L1 below (closer to the frame) the other clamp. Now Tension R1. Remove the centermost clamp holding L1 and R1, and move up to the top, and clamp L1 and R1, thus establishing tension on R1.

My problem with this is that he never directly tensions L1, does he?

Now here's YULitle's method:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO9qWaom4cg

He's working on a racquet with two extra holes in the throat, so his pattern is "upside down" from the racquet shown in the first video. Still, I will summarize how it would be on a racquet like in the first video (rather than how it really is done in the YULitle video.)

Feed R1 and L1 looping through the throat, and up through the top grommets. Tension both simultaneously and clamp these together as close to bottom of frame as possible. (Is this really necessary?) Now tension L1 at top of the frame, and clamp to outside of racquet. Tension R1 at top of frame, and clamp (inside the frame) R1 to L1. Feed R1 back down (creating R2), tension R2, clamp R2 to R1. More of the right mains can be done at this point, but eventually we go back to L1, which still has a clamp on the outside of the frame holding its tension. Tension L1, move flying clamp to inside frame. Feed L1 to create L2. Tension L2. Clamp L2 to L1, and from there it's just tension, clamp, tension, clamp, like normal.

The big benefit is that every string is tensioned, and tensioned for its entire length.

glpsace
10-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Very interesting, later tonight I will watch both videos again (do not have enough time now) with your "subtitles" ;)
Maybe this way it will be easier to process everything is done.
So I sense your claiming that Youlittle method undertaken is better than the other fellow video to maintain tension with minimum loss. Correct?

glpsace
10-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Also read somewhere that flying clamps should be avoided in the outside of the frame (for the exception of a starting clamp). Well it seems to me (from what I remenber yesterday) that he uses at least twice the flying clamp outside the frame in the throat. Isnīt that kind of dangerous for people without experience like myself? Plus I guess in a narrower throat with a larger Klamp, those kind of operations will be very hard to perform? Am I wrong thinking like this?

kcmiser
10-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Very interesting, later tonight I will watch both videos again (do not have enough time now) with your "subtitles" ;)
Maybe this way it will be easier to process everything is done.
So I sense your claiming that Youlittle method undertaken is better than the other fellow video to maintain tension with minimum loss. Correct?

Yes-- I do think the clamp on the outside should provide the most consistent tensioning. However, I freely admit that it may not be worth fussing over. I would bet that if you gave me two racquets, one strung with each method, I couldn't tell a difference, nor would it affect my play on any level.

coyfish
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Thank you. Yes I already knew that video but unfortunetly for somoeone with no experience it is not easy to see what he is doing in detail. The camera is a little far away and he not always explains the process is undertaking. I was very interested in the starting of the crosses, but couldnīt see much of what he did in detail. Just the main idea... still a very good help indeed, as all of the Youlittle videos. Precious!

Hmmm starting the crosses is pretty simple. After you have the mains done you look on the klipper website and find your racket. It will tell you where to start / finish crosses and tie knots. So if it says tie knot on B8 you stick the tip of the string in the bottom grommet #8 and tie a knot. Then you just fed the string through the 1st empty cross and continue clamping / tensioning just like you did the mains. Except you have to weave them.

Stringing is not hard at all. The machines come with instructions that are very easy to follow and explain everything.