PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Is Really Getting A Bad Reputation Of Late.

Conquistador
10-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Sad to see it but it is true. You take a look at the recent headlines and you are in shock. First its Serena at the US Open and not Andre Agassi.
Gasquet was also suspended as well. Lets also not forget what Ernests Gulbis did in Sweden, his arrest stunned everyone.I can go on and on with other things that have happened. What is going on with tennis recently. This is getting sad.

ahile02
10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't say it's the game of tennis that's getting bad rap. Hearing about this stuff is becoming common in sports nowadays. S**t happens.

Falloutjr
10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Tennis has gone from being the rich boy, trust fund sport to the sexy, you-have-to-see-what-happens-next sport. It's like a reality show now. Honestly, our sport may be gaining publicity from bad actions, but no publicity is bad publicity. Turning the channel to the local news and hearing about tennis every day is good for the sport, even if the things that bring light to it are not. Maybe this will shed some of the assumptions that tennis is boring and maybe appeal a new audience, because tennis fans are about as loyal as NASCAR fans and we won't walk away because of things like this. Maybe the short skirts and the headlines will continue to make tennis a more widespread sport. So, in a way, I'm not disappointed at all.

Mr.Brightside
10-30-2009, 07:22 PM
wait, what did gulbis do?

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 07:26 PM
wait, what did gulbis do?

Solicit a prostitute.

Mr.Brightside
10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Solicit a prostitute.

damn. lol.

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 07:31 PM
damn. lol.

You said it :shock:
(the guy is cute, shouldn't need to resort to professionals...)

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM

He might have certain sexual proclivities that only the professionals can provide. :confused:

Cody
10-30-2009, 07:37 PM
He might have certain sexual proclivities that only the professionals can provide. :confused:

Gulbis just misses his mummy and was paying her to tuck him into bed.....

Vyse
10-30-2009, 07:43 PM
It is a shame but the sport should only continue to gain popularity

_maxi
10-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Sad to see it but it is true. You take a look at the recent headlines and you are in shock. First its Serena at the US Open and not Andre Agassi.
Gasquet was also suspended as well. Lets also not forget what Ernests Gulbis did in Sweden, his arrest stunned everyone.I can go on and on with other things that have happened. What is going on with tennis recently. This is getting sad.
1) Serena: well, I'm going to give you that.
2) Agassi: If it was for recreational use like he said.. then it has nothing to do with tennis.
3) Gasquet: same that agassi.
4) Gulbis: What's the problem? if he wants to pay for sex he is in his right.

luvly
10-30-2009, 08:38 PM
1) Serena: well, I'm going to give you that.
2) Agassi: If it was for recreational use like he said.. then it has nothing to do with tennis.
3) Gasquet: same that agassi.
4) Gulbis: What's the problem? if he wants to pay for sex he is in his right.

I respect your opinion but I have to disagree, Drug use and prostitution are illegal and the behaviors reflect poorly on tennis. What seems to be individual actions when occurring by a subset of a population will in most case become generalized as common for the whole population just ask the nba....

Falloutjr
10-30-2009, 09:17 PM
What seems to be individual actions when occurring by a subset of a population will in most case become generalized as common for the whole population just ask the NFL....

Fixed. 10char

PCXL-Fan
10-30-2009, 09:20 PM
This is a drop in the pan compared to football or Baseball. Relax guys.

_maxi
10-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, you can't forget that tennis players are also persons.

Some of them will fall into temptations that others will not. Just like in the regular population.

I personally wouldn't give it that importance. What would you prefer? these things happening in the darkness and no one knowing it? I think that it's good for people to know about it, because it shows that sports people are not robots.

In my case, when I examine this facts, I try to see if this make real harm to somebody.

You have to examine it very well.. violence is present in a lot of products, not only on illegal drugs. So here we must first think if we don't have a double standard. Some of the clothes that we buy are made by children in illegal conditions.

I don't think that prostitution has to be intrinsically wrong. A woman can choose if he wants to sell his body. If she is free to take that desition, then I don't see why it could be wrong.

rafan
10-30-2009, 10:00 PM

Oh come on. Tennis compared to some of the soccer stars headlines we get in the UK is squeaky clean. A sport (soccer) whereby they can earn millions and not even make the world cup status. You rarely hear of drunken brawls/**** amongst our tennis stars. Also tennis players cannot celebrate a win by getting drunk after it because they have tomorrow/next week to think about and my goodness it would show on the circuit if they did. That Aggissi has come out is lame compared to some of the stuff brushed under the carpet in other sports

babbette
10-31-2009, 05:11 AM
I still can't believe Gulbis had to pay for sex. He's beautiful.:shock:

ronjohn
10-31-2009, 05:56 AM
Perhaps more so than usual - and I'm not happy about that. But compared to most other pro sports - sheesh - not even close...

aphex
10-31-2009, 05:57 AM

is there one tennis player that doesn't make you horny?

(federer doesn't count)

PCXL-Fan
10-31-2009, 07:47 AM

well why didn't you phone him up in his time of need? ;)

Cyan
10-31-2009, 07:54 AM

I know really good looking guys that solicit call girls because they will do WHATEVER those guys want to and then they will leave and not be a hussle calling back the guys(like a one-night stand, friend, girlfriend would)..... Hiring hookers has nothing to do with being ugly but with it being convenient.

babbette
10-31-2009, 09:43 AM
is there one tennis player that doesn't make you horny?

(federer doesn't count)
...thinks.....................:rolleyes:.......... .......:neutral:............:-?..................:confused:

babbette
10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
well why didn't you phone him up in his time of need? ;)

It kept getting disconnected.:(

babbette
10-31-2009, 09:47 AM
I know really good looking guys that solicit call girls because they will do WHATEVER those guys want to and then they will leave and not be a hussle calling back the guys(like a one-night stand, friend, girlfriend would)..... Hiring hookers has nothing to do with being ugly but with it being convenient.
Maybe like in Porky's he wanted to lose his virginity to a hooker. Either he or his friend. I heard the other guy was his hitting partner.

It's strange that the guy that paid for sex is charged but the prositutes that offer the service aren't.

jms007
10-31-2009, 09:58 AM

Ha, I think it's just for the convenience. Same reason some politicians do it. He could go to a bar and mayyybe score, but I doubt he's got that kind of time. I'm pretty sure nobody's heard of him in Stockholm, outside of devoted tennis fans.

kishnabe
11-01-2009, 12:30 PM

I believe Gulbis having gone past the second round in a tournament was because he finally let some of his sexual desires out.

shazbot
11-01-2009, 12:57 PM
You must not follow many American sports than.

Baseball, Football (American) and Basketball players are always in some kinda trouble. Whether it be for drugs, a shooting at a nightclub, a fight at a bar or who knows what.

Tennis is fine, it needs some drama.

CCNM
11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
^I agree. perhaps the players have been hanging out with American Football and NBA stars???

Annika
11-01-2009, 10:42 PM
How can we get rid of this troll? Seriously.

pound cat
11-02-2009, 03:46 AM
How can we get rid of this troll? Seriously.

If everyone ignored him he would soon disappear. But that's not likely to happen.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Gulbis. Depends on which country you're in if prostitution is illegal. In Sweden specifically it's illegal for persons to solicit or pay for sex, but it's not illegal for prostitute of whatever kind to accept that money. In Germany, prostitution is not illegal at all, but even has a guild of sorts which seeks it's best interest like any other business. So don't confuse one country's laws with others, get the facts straight.

For the comments from those shocked he had to pay for sex: he doesn't have to pay for sex. It was his choice to do so, and millions of men and yea, some women, also have done so on occasion and will in the future (in fact some are doing right now ha!). For some it's the thrill of it, not their own lack of good looks. Actually for some handsome men and women, especially business class, they do so because they wante sex without strings. Get it done, enjoy it, walk away. Big dummy Gulbis got caught was all. I think it was only a shock Ernests actually showed up at a hotel with the prostitute headed towards a room where certain conduct would take place. Stupid. But then obviously he only had one thing on his mind.

Agassi. A lot of pro sports players have taken drugs, and McEnroe will tell you of himself and Vitas on that topic. I don't know why anyone would be shocked at that admission.

Serena. She got totally ****ed off and lost her head in front of millions. We've all gotten seriously ****ed off, just not so publically.

Gasquet. I never liked him anyway, and his story was just another dumb something he did like all the other things. No shocker either.

I don't necessarily agree with any of the conducts of these players, but they are adults, make choices, mistakes, get gulled etc. just like everyone else. We just get to read about across the web and see it on news shows. That was a general "we" as it were. Certain countries sensationalize any event, especially negatives ones, more than others. Here we might read the story, but well...we realize everyone makes mistakes and don't try to point fingers at others as if we've never done anything wrong. It's all a part of life.

LafayetteHitter
11-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Maybe with the guys on these boards but if you walk around the courts at a club noone cares or talks about this stuff. It's more of an OCD thing.