PDA

View Full Version : Agassi Book Is Great!

marc45
10-30-2009, 08:22 PM
people need to lose this single-minded obsession with the meth...i just read the lengthy excerpts in sports illustrated and this is an amazing read..he worked with a pulitzer-prize winning writer and the book reads, as jon wertheim said, like a novel...i'm a huge sampras fan and enjoyed his auto, but this is dramatic stuff...someone said last week that this is the best athlete memoir ever and i believe it could be true...read the excerpts yourself...i may even buy it instead of waiting for the library to get it

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm sure it is and I intend to read it as soon as it gets out. I've read an excerpt about his dad and it was captivating. Can't wait :)
It was already true when he was on the tour: never a dull moment with Andre :)

marc45
10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
he says he plays tennis for a living though he secretly hates it with a passion...how's that for an opening statement, then i'm sure we dig in as to why

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 08:50 PM
A long time before the book, I had read articles about how Andre was forced into a lot of things by his dad, who was a real despot by the way. I'm so glad he delves into that at length in the book. It's really something he needed to put out there. A lot of wild things he did when he was young had to do with rebelling against his dad who was described by many tournament directors (tournaments Andre played as a child) as a real nut case, prone to fits of violence.

bluetrain4
10-30-2009, 08:54 PM
I am really looking forward to it as well. The hair pieces and meth are almost an afterthought at this point. I am interested to read about his development as a player, his impressions of players, matches, the tour, what was going through his mind at certain times.

The meth use, after reading so much about it already, is probably the least interesting aspect of all.

BTW, what's the release date?

veroniquem
10-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Next week (November 6 or 9 I think)

lordmanji
10-30-2009, 10:56 PM
people need to lose this single-minded obsession with the meth...i just read the lengthy excerpts in sports illustrated and this is an amazing read..he worked with a pulitzer-prize winning writer and the book reads, as jon wertheim said, like a novel...i'm a huge sampras fan and enjoyed his auto, but this is dramatic stuff...someone said last week that this is the best athlete memoir ever and i believe it could be true...read the excerpts yourself...i may even buy it instead of waiting for the library to get it

sampras' autobiography was a real snooze. i liked blake's and spadea's. look forward to andre's.

OTMPut
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
he says he plays tennis for a living though he secretly hates it with a passion...how's that for an opening statement, then i'm sure we dig in as to why

A large part of the population does that. They hate what they do for a living.

pound cat
10-31-2009, 05:32 AM
A large part of the population does that. They hate what they do for a living.

85% actually...

marc45
10-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Next week (November 6 or 9 I think)

november 9

marc45
10-31-2009, 08:04 AM
A long time before the book, I had read articles about how Andre was forced into a lot of things by his dad, who was a real despot by the way. I'm so glad he delves into that at length in the book. It's really something he needed to put out there. A lot of wild things he did when he was young had to do with rebelling against his dad who was described by many tournament directors (tournaments Andre played as a child) as a real nut case, prone to fits of violence.one thing he doesn't touch is the breaking apart of his relationship with perry rogers, his close confidant

David L
10-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Here are some excerpts from the book. Looks like a good read.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6896056.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6896029.ece

AAAA
10-31-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6896056.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6896029.ece

Quite interesting, liked the bit about him hustling, however I find the ghost writer's particular novel style tiresome after a few paragraphs.

Chadwixx
10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Does he admit to using steroids in the book?

Conquistador
10-31-2009, 09:15 PM
85% actually...

Thats because the 15 other percent are unemployed.