PDA

View Full Version : 1hbh help

TennisVet
10-30-2009, 09:10 PM
apparently, my backhand is my only weakness. i only do 1hbh, because i cant do 2hbh. but most of the time im just hitting slices. i need to get that topspin 1hbh to really help my game.

Blake0
10-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Here's a simple way i've learned on how to hit one handers.

1. Make sure you hit with a closed/neutral stance, open stance only if you absolutely have to.(for learning purposes start learning the closed stance 1hbh)
2. Make sure you turn your shoulder sideways as you load up for the shot. The more your shoulder turns, the more power you can potentially get. (for learning and timing purposes, start by only loading up with your shoulders perpendicular to the net, and as you improve you can increase the coiling to up to your body facing the back fence.)
3. Make sure your arm attains its hitting structure (your arm is straight) in the backswing, not as you're swinging toward the ball. (your hitting arm structure can be bent in 1hbh, but its only used as a compensation for being late on the ball.)
4. Make sure you're contact point a foot away from your right foot (on closed/neutral stance).
5. Lead with your shoulder, not your elbow.
6. Make sure your wrist is locked in place while you learn how to hit one handers. Once you get used to the feel, feel free to loosening up the wrist A LITTLE BIT, too much wrist isn't needed for a normal 1hbh.
7. Swing going through the ball, going low to high.
8. Followthrough by letting your arm naturally deaccelerate over your head.
9. Make sure you're opposite hand is..can't think of the word...going back to stop you from rotating through the shot.
10. Also make sure you don't rotate through the shot..as you do in forehands and 2hbhs. 1hbh's are linear shots, so your shoulders should stay parallel to the net (well you can rotate a bit more, but don't rotate all the way through)at the once you finish the stroke.

Blake0
10-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Wen't into more detailed then i wanted to..:neutral:..oh well, if its a little confusing..especially at the end..i lost my train of thought, look at this video of federer's 1hbh, you can see him doing all the things i've mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7CcDIkMhE&feature=PlayList&p=EC48F43591EC69F1&index=27

Closed stance, he coils his shoulders to almost facing the back fence, i forgot to mention the L on the take back..and keeping the L wrist/arm thing throughout the shot. But anyways, He achieves his hitting arm structure at the end of his backswing, leads shot with his shoulder, contact point a foot in front of his right leg, wrist is mostly locked, swings low to high hitting through the ball, his arm naturally deaccelerates, his left arm is used as a counter balance to stop him from overrotating, and he has rotated a bit further then his shoulders being parallel to the net, but it's all in all a great shot.

Geezer Guy
10-31-2009, 06:15 PM
apparently, my backhand is my only weakness. i only do 1hbh, because i cant do 2hbh. but most of the time im just hitting slices. i need to get that topspin 1hbh to really help my game.

I don't know if it's your only weakness, but I do agree that you need to hit topspin as well as slice.

2ndServe
10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
if you make it point to keep your off hand on the throat then coil so your back is almost pointing to the net you should get sufficient turn to generate power. You also have to remember to keep your arm straight at contact, I've seen many terrible 1hb with a bent elbow at contact. It makes it weak, inconsistent and is the main cause for tennis elbow.

spacediver
11-01-2009, 07:17 PM
'
3. Make sure your arm attains its hitting structure (your arm is straight) in the backswing, not as you're swinging toward the ball. (your hitting arm structure can be bent in 1hbh, but its only used as a compensation for being late on the ball.)

I've probably misunderstood you here, but how on earth can your arm be straight during backswing?

By straight, I assume that the angle between the forearm and upper arm is 180 degrees, so elbow isn't bent at all.

aimr75
11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I've probably misunderstood you here, but how on earth can your arm be straight during backswing?

By straight, I assume that the angle between the forearm and upper arm is 180 degrees, so elbow isn't bent at all.

yeah the arm should be bent at the elbow during the takeback. The arms should really be passive as you rotate shoulders until right at the end you begin to use the arms to lift the racquet up more. This being the case, the arms inherently are not straight during the backswing

Blake0
11-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Sorry i meant to say at the END of your backswing/beginning of forward swing...watch the video on my second post in this thread..at the end of his backswing he attains his hitting arm structure (it's not completely straight)

aimr75
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry i meant to say at the END of your backswing/beginning of forward swing...watch the video on my second post in this thread..at the end of his backswing he attains his hitting arm structure (it's not completely straight)

it doesnt have to straighten out straight away, as long as it eventually straightens out at some point in the forward swing before contact.. or is that what you were implying?

Cody
11-01-2009, 08:34 PM

1. Make sure you hit with a closed/neutral stance, open stance only if you absolutely have to.(for learning purposes start learning the closed stance 1hbh)
2. Make sure you turn your shoulder sideways as you load up for the shot. The more your shoulder turns, the more power you can potentially get. (for learning and timing purposes, start by only loading up with your shoulders perpendicular to the net, and as you improve you can increase the coiling to up to your body facing the back fence.)
4. Make sure you're contact point a foot away from your right foot (on closed/neutral stance).
6. Make sure your wrist is locked in place while you learn how to hit one handers. Once you get used to the feel, feel free to loosening up the wrist A LITTLE BIT, too much wrist isn't needed for a normal 1hbh.
9. Make sure you're opposite hand is..can't think of the word...going back to stop you from rotating through the shot.
10. Also make sure you don't rotate through the shot..as you do in forehands and 2hbhs. 1hbh's are linear shots, so your shoulders should stay parallel to the net (well you can rotate a bit more, but don't rotate all the way through)at the once you finish the stroke.

This is pretty much all you need, just keep working the fundamentals and watch pro's 1hbh as much as you can

coyfish
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
So basically you have no backhand if you can't hit a topspin 2H or 1H BH lol.

I would watch FYB's 1HBH instructional videos on youtube. Im a 4.5 and i switched to 1H BH about 5 months ago. Took me about a month of playing 2-3 times a week to be able to consistantly hit my topspin backhand against players my level.

Be prepared to invest the time because the 1 hander is a difficult shot to hit well.

Ball machine is your friend because you need to feel how the shot comes off the racquet. I would start from the service line and play minitennis. Once you master hitting the topspin bh like that you can move back and start hitting harder. Slowly you can incorporate a larger swing.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-02-2009, 12:34 AM

Oh you can definitely do it. McEnroe did, and Blake has a very mild elbow bend.

Though the bigger the one handed backhand, the bigger the elbow bend. Gasquet, Henin, and Federer had some of the biggest I've seen.

spacediver
11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
interesting, makes sense.

thanks for the clarification all.

boojay
11-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Great advice, save for the arm needing to be straight during the takeback (which you've subsequently acknowledged as not being absolutely necessary).

Sublime
11-02-2009, 09:42 AM
What grip are you using?

It's pretty much impossible to hit anything but a topspin BH with an extreme eastern (SW FH grip).

It's easy to hit topspin with an eastern BH grip.

It's difficult to learn to hit topspin with a continental grip.

It's pretty much impossible to hit topspin with an Eastern Forehand grip (which you'll see a lot of beginners try to use).

yemenmocha
11-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Just trying to be helpful here... Don't you mean perpendicular to the net? I just can't see someone turning with their back completely to the net, with their shoulder line parallel to the net.

http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/federer/federer%20backhand%20compare%20edgerg.jpg

Blake0
11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
it doesnt have to straighten out straight away, as long as it eventually straightens out at some point in the forward swing before contact.. or is that what you were implying?

No..thats not what i'm implying..what i'm trying to say is the same thing as in the forehand stroke will mentions in one of his FYB videos..you should get to your hitting arm structure at the end of your backswing.

Blake0
11-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Just trying to be helpful here... Don't you mean perpendicular to the net? I just can't see someone turning with their back completely to the net, with their shoulder line parallel to the net.

http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/federer/federer%20backhand%20compare%20edgerg.jpg

You should be perpendicular or slightly more open when hitting a 1hbh at contact through the followthrough. Only time you are closed so much that your backs facing the net would be during the backswing or coiling phase of the stroke.

aimr75
11-02-2009, 03:27 PM
No..thats not what i'm implying..what i'm trying to say is the same thing as in the forehand stroke will mentions in one of his FYB videos..you should get to your hitting arm structure at the end of your backswing.

federer doesnt do this.. he has a slight bend when he initiates the forward swing, and then straightens closer to contact. Not to say this is what always happens.. from what i recall, Gasquet does straighten sooner

Blake0
11-02-2009, 03:37 PM
federer doesnt do this.. he has a slight bend when he initiates the forward swing, and then straightens closer to contact. Not to say this is what always happens.. from what i recall, Gasquet does straighten sooner

I guess you're right, but the main point i'm trying to address here is to not lead with the elbow, because this causes timing inconsistency with beginners. And the easiest way to avoid this is to attain your hitting structure at the end of your backswing.

boojay
11-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Funny about this whole issue of having a straight arm at the beginning of the forward swing versus having the arm straighten out some time before contact. I've experimented with this before and while I'm more comfortable with what aimr75 has described, I don't necessarily see anything wrong with already having it straightened out as Blake8 has mentioned either (or at least, as straight as you can make it). I'm going to have to test this out again.

Blake0
11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Funny about this whole issue of having a straight arm at the beginning of the forward swing versus having the arm straighten out some time before contact. I've experimented with this before and while I'm more comfortable with what aimr75 has described, I don't necessarily see anything wrong with already having it straightened out as Blake8 has mentioned either (or at least, as straight as you can make it). I'm going to have to test this out again.

I'm not a coach or anything, but i've seen my coach do privates for others who wanted to learn 1hbh's, and this was the easiest way for them to learn the timing of 1hbh's. i usually do it as a way to flatten out my 1hbh, but starting out too bent and then straighting it the way aimr75 said, would be more risky.

boojay
11-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm not a coach or anything, but i've seen my coach do privates for others who wanted to learn 1hbh's, and this was the easiest way for them to learn the timing of 1hbh's. i usually do it as a way to flatten out my 1hbh, but starting out too bent and then straighting it the way aimr75 said, would be more risky.

I don't recall him saying to start out "too" bent (in fact, his exact words were 'slight bend'), but I see no reason why it would be more risky to have a bend. Again, I'm not saying one way or the other is correct, but I pretty much do what aimr75 has said naturally. As you said, one should lead the 1hbh with the shoulder and by doing so, the arm naturally straightens out during the forward swing anyway, so I can't see why it would be a problem.

callen3615
11-02-2009, 07:06 PM
I have to say that the 1hbh has got to be one of the prettiest tennis shots. :) Those vids of federer are awesome. Anyway....

My backhand also is a major weakness in my game. I usually just slice all the time. Ive spent last weekend practicing the 1hbh. Im trying to learn how to hit topspin. Its tough, alot more that the forehand. Ive learned you really have to keep your arm straight and dont let your wrist move at all. You cant roll your wrist at all.