PDA

View Full Version : Mounting system

tennisman917
10-30-2009, 09:16 PM
hey guys can anyone tell me if there is actually a difference in the outcome of a racket by using a 6 point or 2 point mounting system

Technatic
10-30-2009, 10:02 PM
The shape of the racquet after coming out of the machine should depend only on the difference between the tensions for the mains and the crosses.

I put a post on another threat about this:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295068&page=2:

In my opinion it would be better to calculate from the stringbed stiffness:
- Choose a stringbed stiffness for that particular player with or without an injury.
- Measure the dimensions of the string area.
- Count the number of mains and crosses.
- Calculate the tensions based on these figures.
In Europe more and more stringers use these tables to do these calculations, I think that the system quite old already.

It has the advantage that your tension calculation is independent of the racquet you string, when the string area is bigger or there is a different number of strings you just put that into the calculation. For a 18x20 you automatically get a lower tension then for a 16x19 and for a bigger head size the tensions will be higher.

For me as a technical fanatic there is one issue that is at least so important as the right stiffness: The minimum stress in the racquet after stringing.
Because these tables calculate the tension for the mains and crosses separately the system also takes care that you get the right relation between the tension for mains and crosses.

The advantage of a direct mounting system (with inside supports) like the Prince some SP and the SW machines have is that you have a very good check on the tension:
When the racquet has come loose from the inside supports (the length has grown) the tension on the crosses was too high, and the other way around.

Steve Huff
10-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Optimally, that's true. But not always the case. Some really flexible rackets, starting way back with the Prince Classic, changed shapes when strung on a 2 point mounting system. I've seen a few Head Radicals do the same on more modern 2-pointers. I've seen some Heads change shape on a 6 point machine too though.

Richie Rich
10-31-2009, 08:17 AM
2 pt or 6 pt you still need to pay attention to mounting the racquet properly.

tennisman917
10-31-2009, 09:44 AM
that helps somewhat alot