PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Young Kids (5-7yrs)

armsty
10-31-2009, 04:10 AM
Just interested in how each person goes about things, what some rules and **** of coaching such a young age is.

I'm 16 and have been doing it for about 2 and a half years, 5-6 days a week, couple of hours a day. Love it, etc etc.

Number 1 rule I have for myself are:
- Never let the kids stand still for over 15 secs.

What do you guys do?

Do you follow a programme? Do you plan it just before or on the spot? etc. etc.

nhat8121
10-31-2009, 07:12 AM
ok, so elaborate, what do you make the kids do for 2 hours?

armsty
10-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Nah the kids usually do a 30 min to 45 min lesson. We run off an outline setup my Wilson, using all soft balls, with little drills and games. Obv new groups come one one after the other.

10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
great thing to keep em moving. It keeps them busy and happy. It also makes the parents happy to see them getting the most of their time at the court. I don't handle the numbers you do, but usually plan before based on who I'm expecting. I have then work on ovrhead/serve/toss by letting them hit into the tall side fence. They really enjoy this oddly enough. I actually mix this one in 2-3 times per session, reminding them how natural I want these motions to be.

They love any kind of king of the hill you can concoct for them to compete. I come up with all kinds of ways to do this with the skills I feel are next for them.

armsty
10-31-2009, 02:43 PM
I work for my coach, she's about 60 but is very clued in but sometimes lacks equiptment for me to use. I only have one small net sometimes which is pushing it to have 2 kids hittins at once on, so it can be a challenge. I like to have a group of 4 5 or 6. Too little means there's less rotation between catching balls and hitting them. A good number can mean better participation in games.

Games where the kids all line up at the back and go one at a time are horrible. Hate when my coach gets me to do that. Then you feel really bad when they wait all that time then come up and fail.