PDA

View Full Version : Serena Pulls Out Of Fed Cup Final

marc45
10-31-2009, 08:07 AM
vania king in...and the u.s. chances go down ever so slightly

cghipp
10-31-2009, 08:32 AM
I haven't seen any explanation why - has anyone else?

LDVTennis
10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
More good reason to suspend her from the next US Open.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
10-31-2009, 08:40 AM

Yep, let's start a petition. :roll:

Camilio Pascual
10-31-2009, 09:42 AM
??? What is your reasoning?

THUNDERVOLLEY
10-31-2009, 12:05 PM

Pure hatred is the reason.

sureshs
10-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Playing Fed Cup with a bunch of mediocre players is no fun. US Fed Cup with the likes of Glatch, King, Huber and Oudin makes sense. Serena doesn't fit in there as a top singles player. She is also in the final at Doha, so she may have just called it off for some more rest.

LDVTennis
10-31-2009, 12:16 PM

I wasn't serious.

Still, not far from the truth if the ITF does suspend her from one or more majors.

Annika
10-31-2009, 01:11 PM
I think the only reason she was even in the Fed Cup was to make up for her disgusting verbal assault on the lines lady. It made her look so um 'Go USA' and would take away from all the gossip about her behavior and being banned.

Chadwixx
10-31-2009, 01:14 PM
I dont like serena but, no one cares about fed cup, no one cares about davis cup. Make it every 4 years like the soccor and its value would go up 25x.

JZImmer123
10-31-2009, 07:41 PM
She doesn't even have an excuse, like an injury? So I guess she just didn't feel like playing? That's not fair to Mary Jo and the US Fed Cup team. You can't commit to playing the Fed Cup final and then back out without a valid reason (and no, I don't feel like playing it anymore is not a valid excuse), at least lie about an injury to save face. She shouldn't have said she was going to do it in the first place.

As much as I like Serena as a player, this stunt isn't winning her any character points; it's almost like slapping the good old USA in the face.

Cup8489
10-31-2009, 08:48 PM
I dont like serena but, no one cares about fed cup, no one cares about davis cup. Make it every 4 years like the soccor and its value would go up 25x.

whoa there bro.

fed cup does indeed suck, but Davis Cup? Nay, you're wrong.

i watched the Final in 2007, and was overjoyed at our win that year. can't wait to get it back!

DRII
11-01-2009, 06:50 AM
I wasn't serious.

Still, not far from the truth if the ITF does suspend her from one or more majors.

You might be right! Perhaps she learned the ITF is planning to suspend her from one of the up coming majors!

jamesblakefan#1
11-01-2009, 07:17 AM
She doesn't even have an excuse, like an injury? So I guess she just didn't feel like playing? That's not fair to Mary Jo and the US Fed Cup team. You can't commit to playing the Fed Cup final and then back out without a valid reason (and no, I don't feel like playing it anymore is not a valid excuse), at least lie about an injury to save face. She shouldn't have said she was going to do it in the first place.

As much as I like Serena as a player, this stunt isn't winning her any character points; it's almost like slapping the good old USA in the face.

She does have her leg wrapped at the YEC right now, and she actually does play more tennis than she used to. These players need as much time as they can get to heal any injuries they have, no matter how small they may be.

DRII
11-01-2009, 07:23 AM
She does have her leg wrapped at the YEC right now, and she actually does play more tennis than she used to. These players need as much time as they can get to heal any injuries they have, no matter how small they may be.

Lame excuse! She should not have committed, so recently, in the first place. Somethings up.

Venus never committed to begin with. Which you could tell by Mary Joe Fernadez's reaction to Serena committed, p'd her (MJ) off!

Again somethings up!

boredone3456
11-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Serena doesn't play Fed Cup very often anyway so why is this so surprising to everyone?

T10s747
11-01-2009, 09:07 AM
"I definitely want to play. I'm just trying to get there, it's just really hard to see how my body is going to be after Doha, if I'm going to be walking or I'm going to be in a wheelchair," she told reporters after her third-round defeat by Russian Nadia Petrova at the China Open Thursday.

"If I'm walking then I really want to go because I have to go," Williams added. "But if I'm in a wheelchair, we have great people like Melanie (Oudin) who I think can really do a job, and Liezel (Huber), who's number one in doubles.

"We have a really good team and quite frankly they got there without me but I'd really like to go and support."

paulfreda
11-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I think the only reason she was even in the Fed Cup was to make up for her disgusting verbal assault on the lines lady. It made her look so um 'Go USA' and would take away from all the gossip about her behavior and being banned.

That was an assault with a deadly weapon when she waved that racquet just a few feet from the head of that woman line judge.
And she had also issued a death threat.

Shame on the USTA, WTA and ITF for not doing anything at all about it.