PDA

View Full Version : rackets and strokes?

itracbui3
10-31-2009, 08:29 AM
should i adjust my strokes according to the racket or get rackets according to my strokes?

Blake0
10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Easier path is getting new rackets, but that can be costly. On the other hand changing your form to adjust to the racket is cheap, but requires more effort and in some cases a major effort.

I can't really recommend you 1 way or another, because you might have a technical problem that won't be solved with any racket, but on the other hand i may be wrong. It all depends on the situation.

If you have to make me choose, i'd choose changing the racket.

Winners or Errors
10-31-2009, 09:01 AM
What are your strokes, and how do they not fit your racquet? I am curious, and think starting here may help.

10-31-2009, 12:17 PM
should i adjust my strokes according to the racket or get rackets according to my strokes?

I think this is a Very interesting question for all level players. For beginners, I always recommend a solid overall, but sort of neutral stick, like the Head radical OS. This is a racket you can get great deals on and play all the way to the US open if that is your destiny, but as your game develops and you learn your strengths, weaknesses, and type of game, then you might pick a racket accordingly.

For me, feeling very good about my groundstrokes and volleys, I went with the stick that seemed to work best on my serve. This has worked extremely well.

chess9
10-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Your strokes, if you are a beginner, should be in a state of flux, in other words, gradually changing and hopefully improving. Thus, you will probably be inclined to change racquets as you get better. However, if your strokes aren't in a state of flux, but are all fluxed UP, then work on your strokes with the racquet you have.

Personally, I have a bias for very head light, heavy, mid-sized frames. Like the Prince EXO3 93. If someone asks me for a recommendation, I tell them to get what they like, but I'd buy the above. The farther one strays from the Wilson PS85 model, IMHO, the worse off one will be. :)

-Robert

ericwong
11-04-2009, 04:54 AM
To give my take, I would choose the type of racquet that suits my strokes ie if I play baseline a lot, I would choose HH racquet so that I can rally a lot. Similarly, I would choose HL if I volley a lot. In otherwords , what kind of skillsets u have most comfortably in the game will determine the type of racquet u would go for.

LeeD
11-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Yeah, bigger head heavy but lighter rackets tend to be more a choice of baseline bashers.
More net play usually also involves big serves, so smaller (can be swung faster) headed, head lighter, but heavy (punch) rackets for volleyers.
But we all need big serves (small headed head heavy is best), good volleys (headlight bigger heads), consistent and strong baseline play (big headed, maybe lighter weight even balanced), so maybe we should compromise and find ONE racket which does it all sorta OK and still allowing for some of our strengths to prevail.

paulfreda
11-04-2009, 08:50 AM
I agree that this is a very interesting question and topic.

All players should try different types of frame setups and characteristics; heavy or light [and inbetween] , HL or HH, high or low swingweight, etc.

But I would say you should play with a frame that suits your style given your age, abilities, experience and goals.

LuckyR
11-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I would recommend seperating the two topics. Your strokes are your strokes, either changing (improving) if you are a beginner, or honed and solid if you are an expert.

Your racquet is something that can be easily changed, depending on your interest level and your wallet size. Most do best IMO, by demoing many, many styles of sticks and choosing a style, then an individual racquet within that style. My guess is more folks have been hurt by constantly changing and never getting into a groove with a stick than helped by whatever perceived "improvement" the new stick possessed.

Probably string type will matter most in the long run, but I digress.

GuyClinch
11-04-2009, 10:48 AM
To give my take, I would choose the type of racquet that suits my strokes ie if I play baseline a lot, I would choose HH racquet so that I can rally a lot. Similarly, I would choose HL if I volley a lot. In otherwords , what kind of skillsets u have most comfortably in the game will determine the type of racquet u would go for.

It's not so hard and fast that head heavy is so great for groundstrokes IMHO. I think you can hit fantastic groundstrokes with a slightly headlight to balanced racquets.

What head heavy can do is provide more power for weaker players off the ground. But if your a big powerful player - stick with the head light to neutral IMHO.

I don't think string type matters that much at all. When I switched from my Prince Thundercloud at 110cm and 9 ounces to my Prince speedport tour at 11.3 ounces @ 98 cm I really feel my game improved and that's using the stock tournament nylon. <g>

What's interesting to me is that the smaller head size really seems to play better. I would have never guessed this before demoing some racquets at my local club. You have the racquet weight and balance, flexibility, head size and string pattern. All of these variables do seem to matter.

crash1929
11-06-2009, 05:33 AM

racquet should fit your stroke not the other way around. seems like an easy one to me.

Camilio Pascual
11-06-2009, 06:47 AM
...I would choose the type of racquet that suits my strokes ie if I play baseline a lot, I would choose HH racquet so that I can rally a lot. Similarly, I would choose HL if I volley a lot. In otherwords , what kind of skillsets u have most comfortably in the game will determine the type of racquet u would go for.
Agreed, well said.
Beginners should experiment with different types of racquets because their strokes and skills are not determined yet.
I would say a defining factor of not being a beginner any more is that you now know what type of racquet suits your abilities best.
Of course, the evolution of racquets or anything that changes your skills or strategy (aging, injuries), could result in changing to a different type of racquet.