PDA

View Full Version : What's Simon mindset when he goes against Federer?

OJ ROD
10-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Can anyone offer any details on what you think is his mind set is? Tactics are also welcome, as well as an overall strategy.

President
10-31-2009, 10:47 AM
"I will keep getting the ball back until he shanks it out".

Honestly, that is probably what he thinks.

svijk
10-31-2009, 10:53 AM
watch their match and figure it out man.....there are no mind readers here and what will you really do with the info cos that is only useful to Fed or his coach?????

All-rounder
10-31-2009, 11:55 AM
errrrrrrrr PUSH.......:roll:

crocon
10-31-2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_CA0HSr0M

zambo
10-31-2009, 03:38 PM
errrrrrrrr PUSH.......:roll:

Now, now, no need to be bitter!

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Get the ball back and wait until Fed loses patience (hint: he loses patience easily)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Get the ball back and wait until Fed loses patience (hint: he loses patience easily)
Well, at least he plays tennis and is fun to watch-that cant be said of pusher-picker from the island

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, at least he plays tennis and is fun to watch-that cant be said of pusher-picker from the island

You think Simon is more exciting to watch than Nadal? Lol

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:10 PM
You think Simon is more exciting to watch than Nadal? Lol
I dont, i wouldnt even wanna watch a match with Simon unless he plays Fed or unless im betting on it. Federer however, is a lot more fun to watch than Nadal. Nadal, effective? Yes. Fun to watch? Nooo...hooo...ooo!

zambo
10-31-2009, 04:13 PM
I dont, i wouldnt even wanna watch a match with Simon unless he plays Fed or unless im betting on it. Federer however, is a lot more fun to watch than Nadal. Nadal, effective? Yes. Fun to watch? Nooo...hooo...ooo!

What's soo boring with Nadal? i think he's great to watch. Federer's game is not my cup of tea to be honest.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 04:20 PM

Federer may be a lot of things (a magician of precision :wink:, a winning machine, a talented player, etc) but one thing he's NOT for sure is "fun". I can actually think of very few things that would be less fun than Fed (a prison cell? A church graveyard?) Happy Halloween by the way! :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:20 PM
What's soo boring with Nadal? i think he's great to watch. Federer's game is not my cup of tea to be honest.
Listen, i can respect what Nadal has done on a tenniscourt. He uses what he got to the limits, but it has already starting to cost him dearly (hint:injuries) but I find his style of play extremely boring, Federers game is a beauty to watch imo. His technique is the best the world has ever seen and he floats around on court effoertlessly.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 04:21 PM

Nadal is the most exciting player ever period.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Federer may be a lot of things (a magician of precision :wink:, a winning machine, a talented player, etc) but one thing he's NOT for sure is "fun". I can actually think of very few things that would be less fun than Fed (a prison cell? A church graveyard?) Happy Halloween by the way! :)
Well i respect your opinion, although I hugely disagree. You have your "taste", ive got mine.
Happy Halloween to you to
:)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:23 PM
He is a goodlooking dude, hes got a nice body, hes a tennislegend, but P L E A S E do NOT say he is exciting to watch, youre gonna give me a heartattack girl ! :shock:

zambo
10-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Listen, i can respect what Nadal has done on a tenniscourt. He uses what he got to the limits, but it has already starting to cost him dearly (hint:injuries) but I find his style of play extremely boring, Federers game is a beauty to watch imo. His technique is the best the world has ever seen and he floats around on court effoertlessly.

A lot of fellas believe that Federer is never passive with his play. Well, he slices almost ever return when played to his backhand playing agaisnt the big servers and that is real boring imo.

valiant
hehe.. so much fun and its still the first page;

veroniquem

His technique is also very repetitive and tedious, shall we say surgical and passionless as well? And given the # of UEs he's had in his matches this year maybe he should stop floating and get glasses to keep the ball within the lines more often!

valiant
10-31-2009, 04:26 PM
His technique is also very repetitive and tedious, shall we say surgical and passionless as well? And given the # of UEs he's had in his matches this year maybe he should stop floating and get glasses to keep the ball within the lines more often!

nice way to put it :twisted:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
A lot of fellas believe that Federer is never passive with his play. Well, he slices almost ever return when played to his backhand playing agaisnt the big servers and that is real boring imo.
Come on man thats unfair, you cant judge a player as boring over using a great tactic, not boring, smart, it obviously works.
:shock:

zambo
He is a goodlooking dude, hes got a nice body, hes a tennislegend, but P L E A S E do NOT say he is exciting to watch, youre gonna give me a heartattack girl ! :shock:

You missed one thing, he has a nice personality and is very genuine.

zambo
10-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Come on man thats unfair, you cant judge a player as boring over using a great tactic, not boring, smart, it obviously works.
:shock:

Really? Slicing every return is a tactic? I'm pretty positive it's more the fact that he doesn't want to take the ball early and become agressive.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Basically-if you go for it! Youre not always gonna make it! Ever heard of high-percentage shotmaking? Low-percentage shotmaking? Winning 15 Slams takes a lot more than "UE:s" and "floating".
Well if Fed needs glasses im gonna send Nadal a pair of Bjorn Borg underwear, the ones I use, they feel great to the body :) And maybe he needs a Swiss watch!? How about that?

:twisted:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Really? Slicing every return is a tactic? I'm pretty positive it's more the fact that he doesn't want to take the ball early and become agressive.
Slice blocking a huge serve is imo the best tactics and you are gonna make a lot more than had he gone for a backhand swing
Especially if you know your opponent isnt gonna come to the net.

valiant
10-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Both are fine.I just like Fed.

zambo
10-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Basically-if you go for it! Youre not always gonna make it! Ever heard of high-percentage shotmaking? Low-percentage shotmaking? Winning 15 Slams takes a lot more than "UE:s" and "floating".
Well if Fed needs glasses im gonna send Nadal a pair of Bjorn Borg underwear, the ones I use, they feel great to the body :) And maybe he needs a Swiss watch!? How about that?

lol...You are quite funny...Although maybe I need to send Federer a box of tissues next time he plays Nadal in a slam final incase, you know...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:35 PM
You missed one thing, he has a nice personality and is very genuine.
Uhrm...no i didnt, i disagree.
He is only nice when he wins, when he loses he starts making excuses and becomes very grumpy (lots of players do)

jamesblakefan#1
10-31-2009, 04:36 PM
How the hell did this turn into another Fed vs Nadal thread?.....

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:36 PM
lol...You are quite funny...Although maybe I need to send Federer a box of tissues next time he plays Nadal in a slam final incase, you know...

Yeah im a funny dude ! :twisted:
In case he breaks some sweat? Good idea.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 04:37 PM

A nice body? That's a little tame to speak about Nadal, no? :)
Nadal is not "good-looking", Nadal is sex on legs and sexiness is an attitude, not a look. But that's not the reason why he's the most exciting tennis player ever. The reason is his intensity on every point, his fighting spirit, the way he wears down his opponents mentally and physically, the way he expresses his emotions, the explosiveness of his passing shots, his level of energy and passion during a match.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:37 PM
How the hell did this turn into another Fed vs Nadal thread?.....
I might be responsible for that, sorry man

Cesc Fabregas
10-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Nadal is not boring to watch, he isn't a generic baseliner like Simon, he turns defence into attack better than anyone.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:40 PM
A nice body? That's a little tame to speak about Nadal, no?:)
Nadal is not "good-looking", Nadal is sex on legs and sexiness is an attitude, not a look. But that's not the reason why he's the most exciting tennis player ever. The reason is his intensity on every point, his fighting spirit, the way he wears down his opponents mentally and physically, the way he expresses his emotions, the explosiveness of his passing shots, his level of energy and passion during a match.
Uhrm...the first part of your post im not gonna comment on, that would feel weird imo :shock:
The rest, well yes, he is intense, he is passionate, he has to be because he hasnt got the game to steamroll anyone (except on clay) like Federer does, that my friend is why his 23 year old body slowly (or mybe even rapidly) is starting to break down, if you havent noticed, Nadal is gonna have to find a more effective way of winning his matches if he wants to play tennis after his 25th birthday, this is not bashing, this is a fact.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Nadal is not boring to watch, he isn't a generic baseliner like Simon, he turns defence into attack better than anyone.
I think he is, Pete was 10 times more fun to watch than Nadal.
Nadal is the 2000`s answer to the 1980`s Mats Wilander, effective but boring.

edberg505
10-31-2009, 04:43 PM

Because Nadal's game is pretty darn predictable. Esp. when he plays someone with a one handed backhand. Forehands cross court, get a short reply go for a winner. Rinse and repeat. I don't think I've ever seen Federer employ the same game plan often.

zambo
10-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Uhrm...the first part of your post im not gonna comment on, that would feel weird imo :shock:
The rest, well yes, he is intense, he is passionate, he has to be because he hasnt got the game to steamroll anyone (except on clay) like Federer does, that my friend is why his 23 year old body slowly (or mybe even rapidly) is starting to break down, if you havent noticed, Nadal is gonna have to find a more effective way of winning his matches if he wants to play tennis after his 25th birthday, this is not bashing, this is a fact.

Does it not just show how willing Nadal is? How hard it he works? He's a machine, never cuts corners.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Does it not just show how willing Nadal is? How hard it he works? He's a machine, never cuts corners.
It does, he is. I never questioned that, but at 23 years old he is starting to pay dearly for it.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 04:51 PM

I'd rather take sheer excitement for 5 years than dull tennis for 10. Whatever happens to Nadal's body, he should have no regrets. He's given us the most dramatic, spectacular, challenging and entertaining matches of the decade. I wouldn't trade them for cold efficiency for anything in the world. I treasure the memory of each one of those matches, the best moments this sport has offered me.

zambo
10-31-2009, 04:53 PM
I'd rather take sheer excitement for 5 years than dull tennis for 10. Whatever happens to Nadal's body, he should have no regrets. He's given us the most dramatic, spectacular, challenging and entertaining matches of the decade. I wouldn't trade them for cold efficiency for anything in the world. I treasure the memory of each one of those matches, the best moments this sport has offered me.

Yep, quality over quantity.

TheFifthSet
10-31-2009, 04:54 PM

It's all about preference I would say. I prefer watching Federer's game to Nadal's game ten-fold, but I don't find Nadal boring.

Just curiously, what is it about Nadal's game that captivates you? I don't really see anything unique about his game; he's like Muster basically, except he does just about everything better.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Because Nadal's game is pretty darn predictable. Esp. when he plays someone with a one handed backhand. Forehands cross court, get a short reply go for a winner. Rinse and repeat. I don't think I've ever seen Federer employ the same game plan often.

Really? Because personally, I've never seen Federer using a plan B, much less C or D. The only thing I've seen is Federer losing matches when his plan A was not working.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Alright, i can respect that. Sure !
Everyone has their personal favourite.
Although the way you write it sounds as if the whole world share your opinions Lol

Baikalic
10-31-2009, 04:56 PM

Dude...insults are not necessary in expressing dislike for a player.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Dude...insults are not necessary in expressing dislike for a player.
You are right, that was uncalled for.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 05:13 PM
It's all about preference I would say. I prefer watching Federer's game to Nadal's game ten-fold, but I don't find Nadal boring.

Just curiously, what is it about Nadal's game that captivates you? I don't really see anything unique about his game; he's like Muster basically, except he does just about everything better.

What captivates you? Big serves? Lots of things make Rafa's game fun : the way he turns defense into offense, the effect he puts on the ball, his speed around the court and how he counters drop shots and volleys, his fantastic overheads, the way he can hit passing shots in virtually any position and from anywhere, his banana shots are some of the most entertainining shots I've seen in tennis so far.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 05:17 PM

I see you're my kind of guy :)
Well said!

LiveForever
10-31-2009, 05:21 PM
What captivates you? Big serves? Lots of things make Rafa's game fun : the way he turns defense into offense, the effect he puts on the ball, his speed around the court and how he counters drop shots and volleys, his fantastic overheads, the way he can hit passing shots in virtually any position and from anywhere, his banana shots are some of the most entertainining shots I've seen in tennis so far.
I like Nadal a lot and respect his game. However, I prefer Federers game much more. The reason is that Federer plays true offensive tennis unlike Nadal. You cant even argue this fact as Federer is one of those guys who almost always finishes the match with way more winners than errors. Federer hits shots that are mind blowing to me as tennis player. You have to play the sport to see what I mean. His control of the racket head is brilliant and his forehand is mesmerizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_y4QqIpNY

I can watch this for hours. It makes me wanna grab my racket and hit the courts even though it is raining. :(

LiveForever
10-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Oh and to the OP, Simon is nothing special. His two wins over Federer are hardly amazing. The first win was in 2008 when Federer returned from his crushing defeat at Wimbledon and TMC 2008 wasnt exactly Federer at his best either.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 05:41 PM
I like Nadal a lot and respect his game. However, I prefer Federers game much more. The reason is that Federer plays true offensive tennis unlike Nadal. You cant even argue this fact as Federer is one of those guys who almost always finishes the match with way more winners than errors. Federer hits shots that are mind blowing to me as tennis player. You have to play the sport to see what I mean. His control of the racket head is brilliant and his forehand is mesmerizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_y4QqIpNY

I can watch this for hours. It makes me wanna grab my racket and hit the courts even though it is raining. :(

Fed has amazing racquet control, that's an excellent point but it's also a technicality. Federer is very good at hitting textbook shots to perfection but he's not the one I would turn to for out of the book shots. True offensive = too offensive for me, either a long series of big serves (yawn) or high risk play with a high chance of UEs if one is just a tiny bit off that day. I much prefer variety, I find high quality defense very entertaining. I find players who transition easily from one to the other more fun to watch. The rallies are gonna be more spectacular and less "mechanic" than systematic moving forward and going for winners (hit or miss). I've also always preferred players who like to construct points vs players who rush to attack without discrimination (I'm not saying that's typically Fed's case although he lacks patience sometimes).

edberg505
10-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Really? Because personally, I've never seen Federer using a plan B, much less C or D. The only thing I've seen is Federer losing matches when his plan A was not working.

Really? Because that sounds a lot like Nadal. Del Potro, Cilic, Tsonga, Nalbandian anyone? I haven't seen Federer get blown off the court like that. For a man with no plan B or C he miraculously avoids getting hammered off the court.

David L
10-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Given Federer is the No.1 ranked player in the world, with 2 Slam wins and 2 finals this year, I think he has done a pretty good job of keeping the ball within the lines.

Serve_Ace
10-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Fed has amazing racquet control, that's an excellent point but it's also a technicality. Federer is very good at hitting textbook shots to perfection but he's not the one I would turn to for out of the book shots. True offensive = too offensive for me, either a long series of big serves (yawn) or high risk play with a high chance of UEs if one is just a tiny bit off that day. I much prefer variety, I find high quality defense very entertaining. I find players who transition easily from one to the other more fun to watch. The rallies are gonna be more spectacular and less "mechanic" than systematic moving forward and going for winners (hit or miss). I've also always preferred players who like to construct points vs players who rush to attack without discrimination (I'm not saying that's typically Fed's case although he lacks patience sometimes).

So you used to be a hugeeee fan of Federer, circa 2004-2007?

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Really? Because that sounds a lot like Nadal. Del Potro, Cilic, Tsonga, Nalbandian anyone? I haven't seen Federer get blown off the court like that. For a man with no plan B or C he miraculously avoids getting hammered off the court.

That's because his plan A is very efficient. It doesn't mean he can easily change plans during a game. Against Berdych at AO 2009 for instance, he just waited for Berdych to choke or get tired. He does that a lot in matches that are not going his way. It's very different from changing one's strategy.
Nadal hasn't been at his best since the knee time out and the ab injury but Tsonga is actually a great example. The AO match went too fast for Rafa to find a solution but the next match they played at IW illustrates my point well. He started the match like AO and he was very dominated then mid match, he changed his tactic and completely reversed the momentum. Tsonga hasn't beaten him since, even on fast indoor.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 06:37 PM
So you used to be a hugeeee fan of Federer, circa 2004-2007?

A huge fan, let's not exaggerate! I liked him in 2004. I was never enthralled by his style or personality but he was definitely the best (most complete) player out there. It was funny how well he exposed Roddick's one dimensionality by contrast. I lost interest in Fed's game in 2005 when Nadal came onto the scene. I found Nadal's game more unique and more enticing and Nadal himself more likable than Fed.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Given Federer is the No.1 ranked player in the world, with 2 Slam wins and 2 finals this year, I think he has done a pretty good job of keeping the ball within the lines.

Yeah I was talking in general. He's a beast at winning and especially in slams, no doubt about that but this year he accomplished it DESPITE a high % of UEs.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 06:44 PM

So you haven't seen the 2008 RG final? (Don't worry, I'm sure you can find a tape of it somewhere!)

David L
10-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeah I was talking in general. He's a beast at winning and especially in slams, no doubt about that but this year he accomplished it DESPITE a high % of UEs.
Well, his unforced error count could not have been that high if he is No.1. His good play has been more noticeable than some dubious notion he committed too many unforced errors. Too many would imply a poor year, which is very far from the case.

David L
10-31-2009, 06:53 PM
So you haven't seen the 2008 RG final? (Don't worry, I'm sure you can find a tape of it somewhere!)
One example is not a very sizable sample.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 07:16 PM
One example is not a very sizable sample.

4 games in a whole slam final is sizable enough for me and at any rate it contradicts edberg505's claim that he has NEVER seen Fed be blown off the court.

sh@de
10-31-2009, 07:27 PM
LOL this thread got completely derailed.

edberg505
10-31-2009, 07:40 PM
4 games in a whole slam final is sizable enough for me and in any rate it contradicts edberg505's claim that he has NEVER seen Fed be blown off the court.

LOL, well I haven't. I actually did not see that match. I don't really care much for clay court tennis in general. But I tell you what I did see. Nadal vs. Tsonga, Nadal vs. Del Potro, Nadal vs Nalbandian (twice), Nadal vs. Cilic (smack down). But you only came up with one match of Federer.

veroniquem
10-31-2009, 08:00 PM
LOL, well I haven't. I actually did not see that match. I don't really care much for clay court tennis in general. But I tell you what I did see. Nadal vs. Tsonga, Nadal vs. Del Potro, Nadal vs Nalbandian (twice), Nadal vs. Cilic (smack down). But you only came up with one match of Federer.

That's because a slam final is much more significant than any other match. Rafa has never lost a slam final in straight sets much less by being blown off the court. But maybe you wanted me to refresh your memory about Fed's 3-6, 2-6 loss vs Mardy Fish in Indian Wells? (:lol:)
In any case, Nadal may be blown off the court more often but he's not 7-13 and 2-6 vs his 2 main rivals...

edberg505
10-31-2009, 08:07 PM
That's because a slam final is much more significant than any other match. Rafa has never lost a slam final in straight sets much less by being blown off the court. But maybe you wanted me to refresh your memory about Fed's 3-6, 2-6 loss vs Mardy Fish in Indian Wells? (:lol:)
In any case, Nadal may be blown off the court more often but he's not 7-13 and 2-6 vs his 2 main rivals...

If you say so, a beat down is a beat down, regardless of when it happened. By the way who is he 2-6 against. I guess these guys are his main rivals because he has a losing record against them? What makes one a main rival?

LanceStern
10-31-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:klhfKGhSrFsIeM::www.australianopen.co m/images/pics/large/b_Simon_24_1.jpg&h=78&w=54&usg=__FnjDt3_ynzBfPEyYLXmEJgmeogE=

"I thought this topic was about me?"

And for the record, I thought Fed was 3 - 6 against Murray, not 2 and 6. He thrashed him in Cincinatti

TheFifthSet
10-31-2009, 09:00 PM

That sounds EXACTLY like Hewitt, lol. In fact, the first thing that came to my mind when I read that was "Lleytton Hewitt's spitting image."

I can understand if you love Rafa's style of play; but let's not pretend that his style is unique. He's a typical counter-puncher, only he's better at counter-punching that just about everybody. Don't want to make it sound like I'm bashing you, I'm not, but that's just my .02. I appreciate Rafa's game fine.

As to what type of style of prefer, well I really have no specific preference. I like super-offensive baseliners, S + V (I grew up watching it), variety in general. I like crafty guys who overcame a lack of sheer physical talent (Rochus, Santoro, et al.) Huge serves can be fun to watch, but not if it is a players only resort. Maybe if they have historically great serves. Counter-punchers probably rank low on my list, but there are tons that I liked (ex. Mike Chang, Hewitt. Nadal on a good day can be fun to watch because of his explosivness, athleticism and defensive mastery, but when he is forced out of his comfort zone he is somewhat dull IMO.)

edberg505
10-31-2009, 09:08 PM
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:klhfKGhSrFsIeM::www.australianopen.co m/images/pics/large/b_Simon_24_1.jpg&h=78&w=54&usg=__FnjDt3_ynzBfPEyYLXmEJgmeogE=

"I thought this topic was about me?"

And for the record, I thought Fed was 3 - 6 against Murray, not 2 and 6. He thrashed him in Cincinatti

LOL, poor Simon. Loved how Llodra took it too him. Viva la serve and volley!

TheFifthSet
10-31-2009, 09:14 PM
If you say so, a beat down is a beat down, regardless of when it happened. By the way who is he 2-6 against. I guess these guys are his main rivals because he has a losing record against them? What makes one a main rival?

If Simon reaches even one QF/SF in a slam next year, and still has a positive record against Federer by then, I guarantee you she will start calling him a "main rival." :p

Anyway, Federer is 10-21 against his 3 main rivals. ;)

mandy01
10-31-2009, 09:53 PM
LOL..First of all fist-pumping and vamosing dosent equate to excitement.:lol:
Its the 'fangirl' idea of excitement.
And most of those who root for Roger dont root because of his titles.
They root for him because of the the way he plays the game.
Of course Roger has both quality and quantity

edberg505
10-31-2009, 10:04 PM
If Simon reaches even one QF/SF in a slam next year, and still has a positive record against Federer by then, I guarantee you she will start calling him a "main rival." :p

Anyway, Federer is 10-21 against his 3 main rivals. ;)

LMAO, good one. That record is pretty darn pathetic.

flyinghippos101
10-31-2009, 10:14 PM

Stop talking, you have idea what you're saying.

Whaa? Federer doesn't know "out of the books" shots? What about his crosscourt backhand slice lobs for wide shots? Or his overhead slice lobs? That's stuff they don't teach you. Frankly, all defence is boring as hell. "Sure let's watch the guy throw back balls till the opponent hits an UE" Doesn't exactly make for compelling television.

sh@de
11-01-2009, 01:20 AM

But Fed has 15 grandslams. It's quite easy to see which one you'd prefer out of having a positive h2h against all your main rivals or having 15 grandslams. Ask yourself, which position would you like to be in? I think the answer is prrrrrrrreeeetty obvious...

Baikalic
11-01-2009, 01:39 AM
LMAO, good one. That record is pretty darn pathetic.

How does that record compare to Sampras?

Polvorin
11-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Whaa? Federer doesn't know "out of the books" shots? What about his crosscourt backhand slice lobs for wide shots? Or his overhead slice lobs? That's stuff they don't teach you. Frankly, all defence is boring as hell. "Sure let's watch the guy throw back balls till the opponent hits an UE" Doesn't exactly make for compelling television.

Let's add to that his angled flick backhand shot that leaves his opponents on the ground, his defensive forehand squash style winners, and his "fake" drop shot (I've seen this a number of times and he's the only one I've seen do it...opponent starts running forward because of his body movement and then he just bunts the ball deep, which makes them look very foolish). How about his baseline half-volleys?

We could also add once in a lifetime stuff like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viOsq2xyMaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srxkcpwxvwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQ0jP986_k (hey, there's that squash shot I was talking about, cool)

This guy has done so much on a tennis court that nobody has seen before. What I want to know is...exactly WHiCH book teaches you how to do that stuff? I want a copy.

David L
11-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Federer has hit so many ridiculous shots it seems common place for him. Here's another one that defies imagination. Truly ridiculous and not in any textbook I'm aware of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFezKQbZvn8&feature=related

zambo
11-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Stop talking, you have idea what you're saying.

Precisely, good to know my idea is valid. ;)

zambo
11-01-2009, 03:21 AM
LOL..First of all fist-pumping and vamosing dosent equate to excitement.:lol:

Wow, you were completely oblivious to the post i quoted....

I like the way Nadal PLAYS, yet you call me out eventhough that's not what i was speaking of in the first place...

chalkflewup
11-01-2009, 03:26 AM

Big serves often result in a slice or a block. Fed also has one of the most offensive BH slices in the game. His low, skidding knifes can be lethal.

What you consider boring, I consider brilliant. Fed plays chess on the court while his opponents are playing checkers.

mandy01
11-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Wow, you were completely oblivious to the post i quoted....

I like the way Nadal PLAYS, yet you call me out eventhough that's not what i was speaking of in the first place...
I saw the quote and nothing there indicated anything about the way Nadal plays..Veronique was talking all along about how cold Federer is and how 'exciting' in contrast Nadal is.Nothing to do with playing style.

jamesblakefan#1
11-01-2009, 07:23 AM
LOL this thread got completely derailed.

Special thanks to the *******s and *********s for another hissy fight. What's next, 'who's hair is better: Federer or Nadal'? Or did we do that one already? :lol:

flyinghippos101
11-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Precisely, good to know my idea is valid. ;)

If you believe that Fed slices every backhand that comes to him then you're most likely just pulling **** out of your behind

Anaconda
11-01-2009, 08:32 AM
i don't think simon thinks anything against any player. He just goes out and runs around like a rabbit - getting balls back and occassionaly hits a great winner.

zambo
11-01-2009, 08:36 AM
If you believe that Fed slices every backhand that comes to him then you're most likely just pulling **** out of your behind

Quit putting words in my mouth, its pretty lame. Oh, and try and use nicer language since you're coming across as quite agressive. Silly hippo!

pame
11-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I wish I could honestly say whether I find Nadal's game exciting or not. Unfortunately, by the time he gets through that tedious routine before he serves, I'm already half-asleep through boredom

Cantankersore
11-01-2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_CA0HSr0M

Come on guys, this is thread right here.

flyinghippos101
11-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Quit putting words in my mouth, its pretty lame. Oh, and try and use nicer language since you're coming across as quite agressive. Silly hippo!

Refer to me quoting you. I can ssure you, there was no editing. I'm usually civil (never once lower myself to call people "x-player"-*****) but your over-simplifying of Fed's backhand game against big servers as "just slicing" is stupid, just about the equivalent of some Fed fanatic simplifying Nadal's game as, "just spin"

zambo
11-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Refer to me quoting you. I can ssure you, there was no editing. I'm usually civil (never once lower myself to call people "x-player"-*****) but your over-simplifying of Fed's backhand game against big servers as "just slicing" is stupid, just about the equivalent of some Fed fanatic simplifying Nadal's game as, "just spin"

Federer slices return against big servers when they go to his backhand 99.9 % of the time. Don't delude yourself. Go watch a re-run of the Wimbledon final since you are in need of a tennis lesson.

mandy01
11-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Federer slices return against big servers when they go to his backhand 99.9 % of the time. Don't delude yourself. Go watch a re-run of the Wimbledon final since you are in need of a tennis lesson.Uhm so?
That dosent account for "all the time"
He does what is the best trick for one-hander provided he has a good slice.Heck its good tactic for even those with the two-hander.
Play better next time.

Anaconda
11-01-2009, 11:13 AM
We all know the reason Federer was slicing was because roddick was taking it to him on the baseline. I didn't see Fed slicing against karlovic.....

zambo
11-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Uhm so?
That dosent account for "all the time"
Play better next time.

99.9 % does indeed account for all the time. Unless 0.1 % accounts for alot. :lol:

mandy01
11-01-2009, 11:17 AM
99.9 % does indeed account for all the time. Unless 0.1 % accounts for alot. :lol:

Prove it to us then.Prove it to us that your percentage is accurate.
Until then...play in your garden kid.

Serendipitous
11-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Nadal Freak? :)

zambo
11-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Prove it to us then.Prove it to us that your percentage is accurate.
Until then...play in your garden kid.

The final at SW19 is your proof. Go watch it. You might learn something.

T1000
11-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Special thanks to the *******s and *********s for another hissy fight. What's next, 'who's hair is better: Federer or Nadal'? Or did we do that one already? :lol:

We should turn every thread into a Hewitt vs Blake thread

GasquetGOAT
11-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I have to agree with most posters in this thread - Nadal IS BORING to watch.

T1000
11-01-2009, 11:22 AM

How about Soderling Nadal FO

mandy01
11-01-2009, 11:23 AM
The final at SW19 is your proof. Go watch it. You might learn something. Really? I thought Federer was either blocking the return or slicing it.That dosent amount for "all the time"
Besides you'll site one match to call it "all the time"?

Try harder.

zambo
11-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I have to agree with most posters in this thread - Nadal IS BORING to watch.

Nadal is excellent to watch, you must be mistaken with someone else...?

jamesblakefan#1
11-01-2009, 11:40 AM
We should turn every thread into a Hewitt vs Blake thread

Agreed.

Hewitt is a boring pusher.

GO!

T1000
11-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Agreed.

Hewitt is a boring pusher.

GO!

Blake's a mindless ball basher

mandy01
11-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Blake's a mindless ball basherBlake is going downhill -He lacks the drive. ( sorry JBF :sad:)
Hewitt is the REAL fighter..he's always trying and has done so much better than Blake..

LiveForever
11-01-2009, 11:58 AM
James Blake's butt is getting way too big. It is interfering with his mobility. :lol:

jamesblakefan#1
11-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Hewitt has no knees.

Anaconda
11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Why is everyone bashing James Blake?

True say though, but blake isn't a mindless ball basher - he's just mindless full stop......

Cantankersore
11-01-2009, 12:18 PM
This is what I like to see; classic Blake-Hewitt bashing. There hasn't been nearly enough of it recently.

flyinghippos101
11-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Federer slices return against big servers when they go to his backhand 99.9 % of the time. Don't delude yourself. Go watch a re-run of the Wimbledon final since you are in need of a tennis lesson.

Sure, it can be said Fed slices, RETURNING SERVES. You rarely set yourself up for a one hander winner on big serves. Hardly 99.9%...

T1000
11-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Hewitt has no knees.

blake has no slams:oops:

nfor304
11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Hewitt has old man hips

Toxicmilk
11-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Hewitt has old man hips

blake has no hair :oops:

Carsomyr
11-01-2009, 05:55 PM

:lol:

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxc0bmd4WWg) an insight into Nadal's multifaceted strategy.

smack that
11-01-2009, 05:55 PM
James Blake's butt is getting way too big. It is interfering with his mobility. :lol:
like forreal though man

TheFifthSet
11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
blake has no slams:oops:

Hewitt has no friends. :oops:

(O.K, admittedly that was a low blow. :lol: And I like Lleyton, FWIW.)

flyinghippos101
11-01-2009, 07:20 PM

Hewitt is not a gentleman.

Nalby's words, not mine :)

T1000
11-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Wow really? Hewitt played in a much tougher era where it was harder to make friends compared to Blake. Hewitt had more competition in this era, Blake had zero.

msc886
11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Hewitt > Blake. How is that even an argument?

Gen
11-02-2009, 03:58 AM

Your respect is scatterd all over this forum. Have you ever seen live tennis or only the comp monitor version of it (plus low-quality free streams)? I believe yes. Because if you ever saw Nadal on court you'd've shut your insinuating mouth forever.

And here are a couple of gifts for you: Feddy "picking his ***" as you call it.

http://s4.postimage.org/1zEsUS-67f6f4cb013756e1ca636454d6da8396.jpg

Feddy elegantly sitting on the toilet in the Centre Court of Wimbledon
http://s3.postimage.org/1hApI9-67f6f4cb013756e1ca636454d6da8396.jpg

sh@de
11-02-2009, 04:45 AM
Your respect is scatterd all over this forum. Have you ever seen live tennis or only the comp monitor version of it (plus low-quality free streams)? I believe yes. Because if you ever saw Nadal on court you'd've shut your insinuating mouth forever.

As would you if you ever saw Fed on court. Don't tell me to shut up, I've seen him live on court before.

OJ ROD
11-02-2009, 06:15 AM
What the **** did you guys do with my thread?

OJ ROD
11-02-2009, 06:24 AM
watch their match and figure it out man.....there are no mind readers here and what will you really do with the info cos that is only useful to Fed or his coach?????

Already watched and analyzed, before I made the thread. Different people, see different things. One person can see, what another might have missed. There is such a thing as mind readers, there's just nothing mystical about them. And it is very useful to me because I've run into a lot of players that have a similar style. Most of which are cunning players.

The tone was uncalled for, and you let your lack of imagination be blatantly obvious.

LiveForever
11-02-2009, 06:25 AM

:shock: Someone hit a nerve in this infatuated Nadal fan. Truly pathetic. Resorting to low blows to make a nonexistent point.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Have you ever seen live tennis or only the comp monitor version of it (plus low-quality free streams)? I believe yes. Because if you ever saw Nadal on court you'd've shut your insinuating mouth forever.

Oh I admit it, i have never seen live tennis before, yes, only low quality free streams.
Why dont you explain a few things to me about the game of tennis? That would be friggin awesome!
Basically, anyone who disagree with your opinion should shut their mouth?
Thats great, is your name Josef Stalin?

aphex
11-02-2009, 06:38 AM

stop embarrassing yourself. TMOP is an ex futures player so yes, he has "seen live tennis". he has even "played live tennis"

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-02-2009, 06:40 AM
he has even "played live tennis"
Thats actually true, i have :):)

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-02-2009, 06:45 AM
His mindset is I'm going to beat the goat again.

Gen
11-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Thats actually true, i have :):)

Vow! Then you acquired some really lousy manners and mannerisms playing tennis, you hater. Has Nadal beat you when he was a 6-year old kid?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Vow! Then you acquired some really lousy manners and mannerisms playing tennis, you hater. Has Nadal beat you when he was a 6-year old kid?
Why? For saying that i find him really boring to watch? Because I truly do, id rather watch a double-fault-fest with Sharapova vs Safina.

Gen
11-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Why? For saying that i find him really boring to watch? Because I truly do, id rather watch a double-fault-fest with Sharapova vs Safina.

No. For saying this:

"Well, at least he plays tennis and is fun to watch-that cant be said of pusher-picker from the island".

I only showed that your best beloved crybaby Feddy does the same thing. And the above-mentioned phrase proves that you're a real great tennis player and a real fair person.

Gen
11-02-2009, 07:14 AM

And speaking about Sharapova and Safina: most probably anyone of them weill beat you with their eyes shut. These girls made their careers, you haven't.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-02-2009, 07:17 AM
No. For saying this:

"Well, at least he plays tennis and is fun to watch-that cant be said of pusher-picker from the island".

I only showed that your best beloved crybaby Feddy does the same thing. And the above-mentioned phrase proves that you're a real great tennis player and a real fair person.
As I wrote 2 days ago, "yes sorry that was uncalled for".
It is true though but whatever.
No he doesnt, he might have done it once or twice , not every match all year long.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-02-2009, 07:18 AM
And speaking about Sharapova and Safina: most probably anyone of them weill beat you with their eyes shut. These girls made their careers, you haven't.
That would be tough for them dont you think? :)
They have, they are multimillionaires doublefaulting 15-20 times/match.

aphex
11-02-2009, 07:19 AM

the buttpicker infatuation is strong with this one..

sh@de
11-02-2009, 11:53 PM

It's just another one of them with crazy obsessions... I don't understand why these people think that criticising Nadal is like criticising their mum or something. Unhealty obsession I swear.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-03-2009, 07:00 AM

Agreed Gen is there anyway you could change your avatar. I think I can rest assured that it makes many people sick on this board.

volleynets
11-03-2009, 09:22 AM

Well isn't Nadal's technique also very repetitive? Not to mention he hits it to the same side of the court unlike FEderer who hits the ball everywhere possible with his forehand.

sh@de
11-04-2009, 12:27 AM

So whose isn't?

Baikalic
11-04-2009, 01:44 AM
So whose isn't?

http://www.womenstennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/stepanek-bachelorrrrrrrrrrrrr.jpg

:):)

Not that it necessarily makes him more successful.

OJ ROD
11-04-2009, 07:14 AM
You guys have no self control.