PDA

View Full Version : Gamma sg/multi strings

pow
10-31-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't have much experience with Gamma strings but I get to take one set and I'd like to pick a non-poly / kevlar to soften up my RDS mid.

I'm mainly looking for best relative durability and tension maintenance, but control, feel, and spin are all pluses. I'm looking at 16 gauge versions of these strings to help with durability and tension maintenance. Yes, it has to be out of this list because I get a major discount. Please chime in with any experiences and input. Thanks!

Gamma:
Asterisk
Asterisk Spin
Asterisk Tour
Gut 2
LiveWire
LiveWire XP
LiveWire Revelation
Prodigy
TNT
TNT2
TNT2 Tour
Marathon DPC

No, LiveWire Professional is not on the list. :(

Jagman
10-31-2009, 04:35 PM
I've had good experience with any of the Livewire or TNT series from Gamma. For softness, I'm partial to TNT2. I've had hybrids and full sets of TNT2 in the RDS001 Mid and the RDiS100 Mid at around 60 lbs. tension.

TNT2 is a soft, comfortable hit that will nevertheless come across as crisp in the RDS (at least, it did for me at 60 lbs w/dampener). I found excellent feel and very good bite on the ball. TNT2 will break; I've had it pop on me in two different racquets and I'm not a string breaker. However, I got quite a bit of use out of both first, so I would say its a fairly durable string. TNT2 will lose tension, like any sting, over time. There is some movement in the stringbed with TNT2, which --- not surprisingly --- will get worse as the tension drops. Regardless, I think durability and tension maintenance are acceptable and I use this string a lot.

Livewire is also a good hit in the Yonex. My favorite with the Livewire series though, is the Livewire Professional. This also plays on the crispy side in the RDS and is easy on the arm (just not as comfy as the TNT2, IMO). Playability in general, is pretty good, but still a notch beneath TNT. On the other hand, Livewire Professional seems to be a bit more durable and hold tension better. I'm not sure whether this translates well to the rest of the Livewire series. IIRC, I believe there were some early complaints about durability with Livewire. That has not been my experience, but again, I am most familiar with Livewire Professional.

I've been pleasantly surprised with most of Gamma's string products. Most of the buzz is usually about Luxillon, Babolat, or one of the other European makers. However, I've found Gamma to be competitively priced and a good performer all around. I hope your experience is the same. Cheers!

nickarnold2000
10-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey, have you tried Gamma Zo Twist 16 yet?

pow
10-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey, have you tried Gamma Zo Twist 16 yet?

is that a poly?
I'm looking for a soft string to soften up my frame so I don't feel as sore after a long day.

pow
10-31-2009, 10:47 PM
I've had good experience with any of the Livewire or TNT series from Gamma. For softness, I'm partial to TNT2. I've had hybrids and full sets of TNT2 in the RDS001 Mid and the RDiS100 Mid at around 60 lbs. tension.

TNT2 is a soft, comfortable hit that will nevertheless come across as crisp in the RDS (at least, it did for me at 60 lbs w/dampener). I found excellent feel and very good bite on the ball. TNT2 will break; I've had it pop on me in two different racquets and I'm not a string breaker. However, I got quite a bit of use out of both first, so I would say its a fairly durable string. TNT2 will lose tension, like any sting, over time. There is some movement in the stringbed with TNT2, which --- not surprisingly --- will get worse as the tension drops. Regardless, I think durability and tension maintenance are acceptable and I use this string a lot.

Livewire is also a good hit in the Yonex. My favorite with the Livewire series though, is the Livewire Professional. This also plays on the crispy side in the RDS and is easy on the arm (just not as comfy as the TNT2, IMO). Playability in general, is pretty good, but still a notch beneath TNT. On the other hand, Livewire Professional seems to be a bit more durable and hold tension better. I'm not sure whether this translates well to the rest of the Livewire series. IIRC, I believe there were some early complaints about durability with Livewire. That has not been my experience, but again, I am most familiar with Livewire Professional.

I've been pleasantly surprised with most of Gamma's string products. Most of the buzz is usually about Luxillon, Babolat, or one of the other European makers. However, I've found Gamma to be competitively priced and a good performer all around. I hope your experience is the same. Cheers!

Thanks for the detailed review!

cigrmaster
11-01-2009, 07:00 AM
I recently had 2 of my K tour 90's strung with Gamma Professional 16. I switched from Lux ALU rough because my arm was hurting, and the Gamma's feel great.

I get plenty of spin, plenty of control, the only thing I don't like is they move around. So far are they are wearing very nicely.

pow
11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
I recently had 2 of my K tour 90's strung with Gamma Professional 16. I switched from Lux ALU rough because my arm was hurting, and the Gamma's feel great.

I get plenty of spin, plenty of control, the only thing I don't like is they move around. So far are they are wearing very nicely.

Thanks, it's a shame Professional is the only string I can't pick. :(