PDA

View Full Version : Consequences of not beending my knees?

MaratSafin_fan
10-31-2009, 03:07 PM
If I dont bend my knees on my groundstrokes during a rally, what is the worst consequence by not doing it?

How will it affect my game?

Can I play without beending my knees or is it completly impossible?

THX for answers!

SuperFly
10-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Not bending your knees means you can't generate power from your legs.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-31-2009, 03:24 PM
It's not impossible... Just don't expect to play anywhere even close to a 4.0 level unless everyone gives you balls that bounce just right for you.

You lose power, consistency, court coverage, and overall ability to handle a variety of balls. Why? Because your footwork and body setup SUCKS!

callen3615
10-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Well I didnt use to do it and I couldnt hit a low ball to save my life. It adds power and consistency. It also allows you to hit balls lower than your knees.

Blake0
10-31-2009, 05:55 PM
You'd lose power and consistency, you'd scratch your tennis racket pretty bad especially if you play against people who give a lot of low balls.

IwishIwasbetter
10-31-2009, 06:10 PM
If someone was going to push you as hard as they can, would you rather be standing or bent down with your weight grounded?

featherlight
10-31-2009, 11:33 PM
you can't get good shots on low shots

volusiano
11-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Check out the AP Belt if you want to train your body to stay low while playing. It's a device that gives some resistance if you're standing too straight.

moroni
11-01-2009, 08:04 AM
well u need to lower knees to slice and jit low balss .... so worst consequence is gettin baggled

LeeD
11-01-2009, 11:43 AM
You can make it work ! Maybe.....
But ya gotta first strike right onto the sidelines, make your opponent run wide and far quickly on the first ball, so you don't have to play many succeeding balls. First strike, one strike tennis can work.

darthpwner
11-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Bending your knees is actually really overrated. Marat Safin doesnt bend his knees that much. It mostly depends on your grip. If you use an eastern or continental grip, then you should be playing straight up to get a lower contact point. If you use an extreme grip, then bending your knees becomes necessary. However, bending your knees provides a more stable base that allows you to return powerful shots more easily and you can generate more power off a higher ball usually.

volusiano
11-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Bending your knees is actually really overrated. Marat Safin doesnt bend his knees that much. It mostly depends on your grip. If you use an eastern or continental grip, then you should be playing straight up to get a lower contact point. If you use an extreme grip, then bending your knees becomes necessary. However, bending your knees provides a more stable base that allows you to return powerful shots more easily and you can generate more power off a higher ball usually.

It's not so much only about bending the knees per se as it is about having a solid athletic foundation, with legs further apart and your upper body lowered so that you have a stable, solid stance/foundation. It just helps with everything, including shot making. This applies to most sports, not just tennis.

Bagumbawalla
11-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Occupations where you don't have to bend your knees:

Frankenstein's monster.
Nutctacker (in ballet of same name).
Goose-stepper in old German military parade.
Roll of mummy in silent film.
Niobe (Greek myth).
Tin man (from land of Oz)
James Stewart's part in "Rear Window".
Guard at Buckingham palace.
Astromech droid.
Giraffe milker.
Lot's wife.
Gymnast on high bar.

Others?

charliefedererer
11-01-2009, 05:44 PM
A tennis stroke is much more than just hitting with your arm.

You should be coiling your whole upper body first back away from the ball on your backswing, then back around forward on your forward swing. Bending your knees allows you to to maintain your balance as you do this coilng/uncoiling motion.

Have you ever thown a frisbee?
Have you ever batted a baseball?
Have you ever danced?
Have you ever seen anyone play tennis, throw a frisbee, bat a baseball or dance without bending their knees?