PDA

View Full Version : Signum Tornado and Gamma Zo Twist

jturpin4
10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Hey everyone,

With all the hype about the new co-poly's, I am going to give them a shot. I regularly use Wilson NXT 16 and have no problems with it on my Dunlop Aerogel 500 Tour's. I have only used one poly before, Cyber Blue, and it went dead in 2 weeks. After that, I said I wouldn't try anymore. I have received several responses from the TW staff about two soft copoly's that offer great spin and tension maintenance - Signum Tornado and Gamma Zo Twist. One TW staff member said that he has been playing with the Zo Twist for several months and it still plays great. He said that the only reason it went dead once in 2 weeks is because he left it sitting in his hot car. If you don't do that, he said that I could atleast get a couple months out of the string before it goes dead. Is this true? I won't get to try them out till next year when it warms up since I don't play indoors. I only play 3 times a week. I don't want to hear anyone complaining about intermediate players shouldn't be playing with poly's. I just want to know if the strings will actually last this long before going dead. I will be using these in full jobs. Also, which do you think is better of the two? I will be doing a side-by-side comparison of NXT and of these.

nickarnold2000
10-31-2009, 09:32 PM
A lot of it depends on how hard you hit the ball. What's your level? I currently use Cyber Blue and can get 10+ hours out of it and I'm a 5.0. I thought CB tension maintenance was pretty good(for a poly) but I'm also interested in these new twisted co-polys that you mentioned above.

jturpin4
11-01-2009, 05:36 AM
I am a 3.5 player. Don't hit the ball too hard but use a lot of spin. If I can get 2 months out of the new twisted co-poly's, I am going to try them.

nickarnold2000
11-01-2009, 06:56 AM
I am a 3.5 player. Don't hit the ball too hard but use a lot of spin. If I can get 2 months out of the new twisted co-poly's, I am going to try them.
Usually people talk in terms of "hours" as to how long they use a certain string because we don't know often you play in 2 months.
Yes, the new twisted co-polys are very intriguing. I remember some better players saying that they we're getting 12+, 15+ hours out of Genesis Spin X(also with good tension maintenance) which, for me, would be fantastic! As a 3.5, you might be able to get 20+ hours.
Can any one else chime in on Tornado and Gamma Zo Twist?

PROTENNIS63
11-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Both of those strings play nicely. I do wonder though how the TW guy said ZO Twist plays great after several months..

Also take a look at Spin X. Nice overall string.

old coach
11-01-2009, 02:08 PM
:???:That TW player must REALLY good. We probably see him on TV Commercial regularly. But then maybe jturpin4 mix up the facts.:)

ClubHoUno
11-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I can only comment in the Tornado string.

Play the Tornado 1.18 in 3 of my racquets as the main string in a hybrid, and in the hybrid with X-One 1.24, I can play with the Tornado until the X-One breaks, and this is normally after 10 hours with string savers and X-One in the crosses.
I also use the Tornado in my RAIN/experiment racquet at the moment in a hybrid with Tornado 1.18 mains and Recoil crosses, and the tension stability here is awesome. Had it strung in late August and only have played with the Tornado/Recoil setup 5 times since that, and had the tension level checked. Don't know how precise this can be done, but after the initial 8-10% tension drop after 24 hours had been there, the tension now 2 months later was an incredible 3-4% !!
The stringbed also still feels crisp and tight - and this has got to be the perfect string for a racquet, you only use once in while, when it rains.

So Tornado in my view has even better tension maintenance than Signum Pro Poly Plasma and MSV FOCUS HEX strings.

nickarnold2000
11-04-2009, 06:43 AM
I can only comment in the Tornado string.

Play the Tornado 1.18 in 3 of my racquets as the main string in a hybrid, and in the hybrid with X-One 1.24, I can play with the Tornado until the X-One breaks, and this is normally after 10 hours with string savers and X-One in the crosses.
I also use the Tornado in my RAIN/experiment racquet at the moment in a hybrid with Tornado 1.18 mains and Recoil crosses, and the tension stability here is awesome. Had it strung in late August and only have played with the Tornado/Recoil setup 5 times since that, and had the tension level checked. Don't know how precise this can be done, but after the initial 8-10% tension drop after 24 hours had been there, the tension now 2 months later was an incredible 3-4% !!
The stringbed also still feels crisp and tight - and this has got to be the perfect string for a racquet, you only use once in while, when it rains.

So Tornado in my view has even better tension maintenance than Signum Pro Poly Plasma and MSV FOCUS HEX strings.
Thanks for the post. I guess they're calling these new polys "textured polys".
Have you(or anybody else) tried any others ie. Gamma Twist, Spin X or Topspin's new one, Twirl? I would love to take part in all this string demoing but I live in Asia so I have to wait until friends bring them back from the US - getting stuff sent here is quite expensive.
Tornado sounds like a string I should try. I just started using Black Code(which is shaped but not twisted) and I notice increased bite as compared to Cyber Blue.
PS. The other interesting thing is that Tornado costs 80 Euros($105)/ reel at TW Europe while here it's $176/reel! I wonder why it's so much more expensive in the States?

Edstringer13
11-04-2009, 08:36 AM
i sell tornado's reels for $160 if anybody wants.just let your email address and i'll contact you.2 reels i'll make $150.

nickarnold2000
11-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the post. I guess they're calling these new polys "textured polys".
Have you(or anybody else) tried any others ie. Gamma Twist, Spin X or Topspin's new one, Twirl? I would love to take part in all this string demoing but I live in Asia so I have to wait until friends bring them back from the US - getting stuff sent here is quite expensive.
Tornado sounds like a string I should try. I just started using Black Code(which is shaped but not twisted) and I notice increased bite as compared to Cyber Blue.
PS. The other interesting thing is that Tornado costs 80 Euros($105)/ reel at TW Europe while here it's $176/reel! I wonder why it's so much more expensive in the States?
Hey guys, anything new on the "textured poly" front?

galain
11-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I've had a full Tornado job in for 3 weeks now and at about 6 hours play per week it still feels good. Only today did I think that perhaps there was starting to be a very slight drop off, but I was on a totally different court to what I usually play on as well and that could have affected my timing a bit.

I used Black Code before. I think the Tornado is a superior string in every category.

forehand_barrage
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Yesterday I tried Gamma Zo Twist for the first time, strung it at 56lbs on an aeroprodrive. My initial reaction was that the string had too much power, the low tension might have contributed to the overwhelming power, however I found the string to have nice spin potential. The feel was was adequate. At net the string performed well but I found it to lack control. Overall the string was mediocre at best, I found it inferior to Black code, Black code had much better control and feel. But I plan to give Zo Twist another chance, I still feel I havent fully adjusted to the string yet. I will keep playing with it.

minitraveller
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I've tried the Zo Twist and thought it was a decent poly. This was strung on a Babolat AeroPro Control @ 60lbs. The spin was pretty good, but to me, the string felt on the stiff side compared to other polys I've tried (same racket, same tension). I personally like the feel/sound of Gamma Zo Magic. To me, the Magic doesn't feel quite as harsh on the arm, and generates as much spin. I've also tried Red Code, but that had a slightly mushier feeling to me. Hope that helps.

ClubHoUno
11-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Remember when you string a soft mono like the Tornado to up the tension a bit from what you would normally string a harder Luxilon like mono, if not the softer mono will play like mushy soft feeling bunch of noodle strings :)

I typical string Luxilon Alu BB POWER/ROUGH @ 55-56 lbs, and string Tornado/Hyperion @ 58-59 lbs.

origmarm
11-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Just out of interest, what would you string SPPP at? 1.18..

I'm curious because I string ALU at around 52 and the SPPP at around 54. Didn't find I had to go higher because it held tension well.

ClubHoUno
11-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Just out of interest, what would you string SPPP at? 1.18..

I'm curious because I string ALU at around 52 and the SPPP at around 54. Didn't find I had to go higher because it held tension well.

I haven't tested SPPPP in a loooong time, but if I remember correct, it is not as soft feeling as the Hyperion, but softer than the Luxilon Alu BB Power - so I would probably string it between my typical Luxilon tension of 55-56 lbs and my typical Hyperion/Tornado tension of 58-59 lbs, so I would say 56-57 lbs.

But this is in Hybrids with Babolat VS NATTY GUT, and my stringer highly recommends NOT to have a larger gap than maximum 5 lbs between 2 hybrid strings in the same stringbed.

If I was to string SPPPP IN a full string bed, I would probably go lower in tension, say mains @ 53 lbs and crosses @ 55 lbs.
But I almost never play a full bed of monos - but I will do so in my RAIN test stick, which I currently have Tornado mains @ 54 lbs and RECOIL crosses @ 56 lbs in - but will soon have it strung with the new MSV HEPTA TWISTED 1.15 gauge mains @ 54 lbs and RECOIL crosses @ 56 lbs.

I test a lot of weird setups in my spare RAIn stick, most of them play nice - some are garbage :)

RECOIL is probably not a mono, but neither a multi :D

ps2dcgba
11-10-2009, 03:35 AM
Hello!
I have been using Gamma Zo Twist (white) for a few months, on a Asian k6.1 tour polarized set up, at 50lbs, I found that you could apply more spin on the ball, drop shots or approach shots were very easy to pull off, I personally liked it, however this string is not as soft I thought it would be, for a 3rd or 4th generation poly, I have just strung my racket with Tecnifibre's Blackcode 17G at 54lbs, and I must say for this poly string, even if you string at a higher tension, the stringbed when hitting is very soft and easy, I found it very comfortable, however I suspect topspin wise it's not as good as Zo Twist , I have only tried groundstrokes (2 hours) with this set up, I have not played a match with this set up yet, let me post back tomorrow, I am expecting Signum Tornado (1.23) in the next few days, hopefully I can string my other Asian k6.1 tour with the Signum.

Cheers!