PDA

View Full Version : My first groundstrokes video of 2009 (advice, critiques, comments welcome)

boojay
10-31-2009, 09:27 PM
I wanted to wait a few more weeks before doing so, but I finally got around to posting a new video of me hitting after a little over a year since my last one. Very casual, nothing too rigorous since I'm recovering from a knee injury.

There's actually two videos, one of my customary rearview angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQ7T9huxjY
And then a front-side angle, just to mix things up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgGTKrmk5mE

Enjoy!

edited: oh yah, Happy Halloween!

Falloutjr
10-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Nice video I'd say you're a high 4.0 I think your footwork is a little lackadaisical, though. You should flatten out your backhand a little more as well, because when you do, you hit it well. Also, sometimes you wait for the ball too much on your forehand side; try and take it a little earlier to reduce the number of awkward shots that you hit near your feet. Other than that, it was a good video!

MasturB
10-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Ahhh Mr. Federer! It's been a while since we've seen your video.

What grip do you use on forehand?

tennis_balla
10-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Where is that bubble, looks oddly familiar to me

zidane339
11-01-2009, 12:25 AM
What happened to the nice footwork? Were you just taking it easy?

Also, what racquet are you using may I ask?

Edit: You're recovering from an injury, never mind.

skyzoo
11-01-2009, 04:35 AM
does this happen to be the pro at your club that you hit with? good depth, sometimes to much though.

callen3615
11-01-2009, 04:46 AM
AHH mah leg!

Looks good man. What racquet are you using?

skyzoo
11-01-2009, 05:31 AM
AHH mah leg!

Looks good man. What racquet are you using?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0CBpnhUg4w

Gee Willikers Batman!
11-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Why are there so many edits?

Azzurri
11-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Nice video I'd say you're a high 4.0 I think your footwork is a little lackadaisical, though. You should flatten out your backhand a little more as well, because when you do, you hit it well. Also, sometimes you wait for the ball too much on your forehand side; try and take it a little earlier to reduce the number of awkward shots that you hit near your feet. Other than that, it was a good video!

do you even know why? odd you think he is a "high" 4.0..what is that??? is it based on his playing level (no, he was just hitting to the middle of the court), is it based on the sound (he is indoors), is it based on his match record(none listed)?? These "rallies" don't provide a RATING. its ok to tell them a bit about footwork, or advice them on something you see wrong in their mechanics. But to rate him???

boojay
11-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Ahhh Mr. Federer! It's been a while since we've seen your video.

What grip do you use on forehand?

What happened to the nice footwork? Were you just taking it easy?

Also, what racquet are you using may I ask?

Edit: You're recovering from an injury, never mind.

Boy, you guys reminded me I need to post this in the description of my vids because I get emailed these questions all the time.

Normally, I answer extreme eastern, but in fact, I've switched over to an eastern after discovering it's the natural grip I hold when I hit a left-handed forehand which I recently discovered is better than my right-handed forehand mechanically.

I'm using a Prostaff 85 strung with Big Ace 1.22 @ 48 lbs.

Where is that bubble, looks oddly familiar to me

It's in the rectangular province. That's all you get ;).

does this happen to be the pro at your club that you hit with? good depth, sometimes to much though.

Why are there so many edits?

Hah, not even close! This is a former nationally ranked junior who hasn't been hitting much. He was committing a lot of errors so I had to cut those out. We hit for an hour and a half and the rallies rarely went beyond 5 hits, which is terrible. The current state I'm in, I wouldn't even be able to rally with the pro I was mentioning in the other thread.

boojay
11-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Anyhooz, I can see I'm opening up too much on the backhand and I'm curious if anyone can answer this question: should I be using my hips to rotate my shoulders? I'm not doing that very well in this video. I normally bend my legs, but since I'm still not sure if my knee can handle it I didn't want to take the risk, and obviously running is out of the question for now.

MasturB
11-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Anyhooz, I can see I'm opening up too much on the backhand and I'm curious if anyone can answer this question: should I be using my hips to rotate my shoulders? I'm not doing that very well in this video. I normally bend my legs, but since I'm still not sure if my knee can handle it I didn't want to take the risk, and obviously running is out of the question for now.

The hips and shoulders should move hand in hand, The hips being the linear drive, while the legs and and shoulder create the vertical force (topspin and supplementary power).

I haven't seen you videos in a long time.

I was trying to figure out if you used extreme eastern or not. Right now I'm having a problem with my extreme eastern grip. If I use semi-western I'm getting more spin and clearance into the court, but if I use extreme-eastern it's either going into the net or far back out. I'm experimenting with the follow through across my body or over my shoulder.

Gee Willikers Batman!
11-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Okay, that's cool, I was just wondering why there were a lot of edits because it wasn't like you were editing good rally's so I was kind of wondering, why else would he edit it unless he wants to 'look good' but you don't seem like the person who would do that.

boojay
11-02-2009, 01:14 PM
The hips and shoulders should move hand in hand, The hips being the linear drive, while the legs and and shoulder create the vertical force (topspin and supplementary power).

I haven't seen you videos in a long time.

I was trying to figure out if you used extreme eastern or not. Right now I'm having a problem with my extreme eastern grip. If I use semi-western I'm getting more spin and clearance into the court, but if I use extreme-eastern it's either going into the net or far back out. I'm experimenting with the follow through across my body or over my shoulder.

That actually sounds pretty awkward, i.e. moving the hips and shoulders in unison. Maybe it works for you, but that would defeat the whole purpose of the kinetic chain. The whole point is to build from the ground up, not to move body parts are the same time.

Last time I checked, linear drive was produced from stepping into and moving forward into the shot and torsional force was from the proper winding and unwinding of nearly the entire body, just not just the legs and shoulder. Thanks for trying though :)

If you're having problems with an extreme eastern grip, most likely you're not properly utilizing the low-to-high motion or the more advanced WW technique.

Okay, that's cool, I was just wondering why there were a lot of edits because it wasn't like you were editing good rally's so I was kind of wondering, why else would he edit it unless he wants to 'look good' but you don't seem like the person who would do that.

Uhh.....nope. I'm pretty sure with over 8 minutes of footage it's pretty hard to "edit out good rallies to make one look good". If I were to just highlight my myself to 'look good' I would've done it in one minute or less, but you don't seem like the person who would do that either ;)......

ryangoring
11-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Your racket setup sounds like a trampoline. Do you like Big Ace so low?

Blake0
11-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Nice strokes, maybe try one with you play for real? :). Your forehand reminds me of my friends, :shock: except he hits more spinny, you hit flatter.

boojay
11-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Your racket setup sounds like a trampoline. Do you like Big Ace so low?

I've always strung at 48 lbs, regardless of the string. I simply love the way it feels and how it pockets the ball. My fave string (so far) is NXT Tour 17. I'm also a huge Luxilon Ace fan, but the latter two strings are too expensive. I've never tried gut, but I'm sure I'd really like it.

Nice strokes, maybe try one with you play for real? :). Your forehand reminds me of my friends, :shock: except he hits more spinny, you hit flatter.

Boy, you're in for a surprise someday if you thought that was flat. I'll laser beam some suckers once I can put more weight on my knee again. I felt like I was moonballing most of the time, which is fine since I was only lightly rallying and had no other goal than to hit to the middle with depth.

Blake0
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I've always strung at 48 lbs, regardless of the string. I simply love the way it feels and how it pockets the ball. My fave string (so far) is NXT Tour 17. I'm also a huge Luxilon Ace fan, but the latter two strings are too expensive. I've never tried gut, but I'm sure I'd really like it.

Boy, you're in for a surprise someday if you thought that was flat. I'll laser beam some suckers once I can put more weight on my knee again. I felt like I was moonballing most of the time, which is fine since I was only lightly rallying and had no other goal than to hit to the middle with depth.

No i didnt really consider your forehand flat..you should see my friends forehand..it makes this zip noise every time he hits it..super topspin with like..barely any hitting through the ball..it works though, when he's hitting against harder hitting people he hits heavier.

aimr75
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
looking loose and relaxed on the forehand there boojay :)

Kenny022593
11-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Boojay how old are you because your youtube says 53 but i don't believe it. I remember watching your vids when i first started playing and saying "Holy crap he looks like age and is hitting like that"

boojay
11-02-2009, 06:18 PM
looking loose and relaxed on the forehand there boojay :)

Why thank you kind sir. :) Hopefully you've been able to spot some more things I missed and need to work on. Notice how that arm/elbow is popping up? It's bothering me. I'm telling myself it's happening because I'm not being aggressive, but in truth, there's definitely something wrong.

Boojay how old are you because your youtube says 53 but i don't believe it. I remember watching your vids when i first started playing and saying "Holy crap he looks like age and is hitting like that"

You'd be surprised what a 53-year old can do. Hell, you'd be surprised what an 80-year old can do!

Kenny022593
11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
You'd be surprised what a 53-year old can do. Hell, you'd be surprised what an 80-year old can do!

You looked like you were 16 when i first saw your videos!