PDA

View Full Version : Reason for Admission of CM in Book

kenshireen
11-01-2009, 05:44 AM
I don't know how long many of you have followed Agassi's tennis career.
When he was in his younger years he was very brash, arrogant, image is everything, etc.

When he grew into his late 20's he had a complete tramsformation.. You could almost see it in his eyes. He truly became enlightened in my opinion. He was very articulate, particularly for someone who had little formal education, and became more of a spiritual being. He never spoke a negative, unkind word about anybody. He was a beacon of light.

Now, one must assume that Agassi knew darn well that confessing to the CM use in 1997 was going to cause a stir and possibly put a blight on his career. I really believe that this is a catharsis or cleansing for him. I think this had been a burden that he has carried for many years and at this point in his life at 40, it is more important to him to bare his soul and do his best to correct the past rather than to carry it forward knowing that it was an untruth.

He knows he is going to get grief from some of his peers, fans and tennis historians and he didn't have to make any mention whatsoever of his drug use in 1997. But he owned up to it without any outside pressure and I think that we need to give the man credit for this.
He did wrong and he wants the world to know this and I really believe he has removed a great burden from his inner self.

Just my .02

Outbeyond
11-01-2009, 05:53 AM
That could well be true. But we are still learning about Agassi and his guilt-filled memories. He apparently wrote a number of them in his book, and they're being revealed by the media every day like new little drips from a faucet.

If it was only crystal meth for one year...but there was the lying and the cover-up and then there was the fake hairpiece (a deeply personal and mortifying revelation). And now, today or late last night, I guess, the news he'd taken a pill from his father before a match in Chicago and the pill was speed. That's downright not-good. These leaks just seem to get worse. Are more on the way? I don't know if we can draw any final conclusions about his motivations nor his even his career right now.

andrew_fernando2
11-01-2009, 07:15 AM
i agree with the OP that this was a cathartic act. certainly his personality and emotional sense are different from nearly all other athletes.

also, people seem to not be understanding that he wrote an autobiography in which he details the events that shaped his current self. his story seems to be more interesting and controversial than, again, other athletes and its encouraging, for some, that not all people follow a linear path to a self satisfying life. again, in accordance with the OP, we should be happy he is being forthright.

Greengrass
11-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Well, thank heavens I've come on here and found some people who don't want Andre hung, drawn + quartered. What he did was wrong, no question, but I refuse to be judge, jury + executioner like so many others I've come across. Andre does so much good work for under-privileged kids in Las Vegas and I really hope his revelations don't damage this in any way.