PDA

View Full Version : my experience with Global Gut

86golf
11-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Thought I would throw in my 2 cents since this is such a much talked about string here...and my experiences have been different from many that post here.

My shipment was bought on the auction site and came in about 2 weeks or less.

I bought 12 sets that came in black 16g rated at 60lbs. I've used it in a black magic hybrid (both ways), Forten Sweet Hybrid (both ways) and full job several times. After my first full job at 58lbs, I used my excess string to test how much tension I could pull before it broke. I double clamped on my Gamma Electronic and pulled at 65lbs with no fraying. I pulled at 69 lbs and noticed some slight fraying. Pulled again at 74 lbs and it broke.

I prestreched this stuff like I was water skiing and the memory comes out nicely. I've only had one set break during stringing but there is a caveat, my throat grommet failed during stringing and one of the mains broke as I was tying my last cross. I've had this happen before and it caused a main string to break so can entirely blame the string. I've broken the leads off pulling knots several times. Luckily, I had enough left to finish the knot.

My unique observation deals with tension loss. I've noticed significant tension loss just after 45 minutes of drills. I'm very surprised that no one else has mentioned this before as it has been consistent with the 8 + jobs that I've done and have had similar comments from our assistant pro that used a set of mine. In my last job, I strung up a full bed at 63lbs and within an hour of hitting it must have dropped in the 40's. It is really nice if you have a controlled, short swing and want to guide balls back in play and save your body(elbow, shoulder etc) So I can see a lot of people that could benefit from this string. The Black Magic M/Global Gut C has been my best set up and the poly firmed up the string bed to make this very playable until the gut broke. Even still, I got about 5 doubles matches in before it snapped.

Durability so far has been on par with most synthetic gut strings and maybe slightly more durable than X-1 biphase.

Power-it has good power and you can certainly tinker with this by trying different hybrids. IMO- a full job is a flame thrower and doesn't suit my game. Others my like the power in a full job, you may need to try different set ups until you get it right.

I don't plan on using the remainder of my sets and will go back to my normal set ups. There is a place for this string, just not for me. The extra time to string combined with the tension loss has made my decision pretty easy.

jmnk
11-01-2009, 06:45 AM
would you be interested in trading/selling the sets you are not going to use? let me know j a c e k g 6 7 @ y a h o o . c o m