PDA

View Full Version : Social Tennis vs. Competitive Tennis

Ethan04
04-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Which do you enjoy the most? Soicial or Competitive?

ferrari_827
04-15-2005, 07:28 AM
I think tennis is always competitive to a degree, even if it's just "social tennis" in doubles. But no, I would probably not enjoy tennis as much and get burned out if all I did was play match after match with 5.0 players and play tournaments.

For myself, tennis is a number of things: exercise, self-improvement (tennis), meeting new people.

So my advice is to vary your routine and not play so much competitive tennis. It's important to practice and do drills in addition to match play or your tennis will deteriorate.

Geezer Guy
04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
I agree with ferrari 827. I enjoy competitive tennis A LOT, but I think if that was ALL I played I'd get burned out. I enjoy drills and clinic's with my buddies, and just going out for a good hit with someone to work on cross-court forehands, or whatever. Maybe I'm wrong, but I gotta think that even the pro's find ways to have fun on the court, and not just be serious all the time.

tykrum
04-15-2005, 02:53 PM
They both have their merits, but when I am playing someone that is around my skill level or above, I can't not be competitive. On back to back days last weekend, I played against a 5.5 D1 player, and then my women's 3.5 friend. I went really easy on my friend and stretched it out to 6-4, but I couldn't let her win. I had a lot of fun at both, but I definitely got more out of the match with the 5.5 guy.

Gaines Hillix
04-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I really enjoy competetive tennis when I win :-) . But, I always enjoy social tennis unless I play just awful!

erik-the-red
04-15-2005, 04:33 PM
I enjoy competitive tennis more.

There seriously some times when I just know that my heart wasn't big enough and it let me down. But, there are other times when I know that I beat the other guy straight up.

donnyz89
04-15-2005, 06:14 PM
i like competetion... depends. i like to win. but i dont like pressure... dont wanna feel like i have to win but i really want to win.

hyperwarrior
04-15-2005, 10:32 PM
I play too much social tennis, I hope to compete in the near future. Unfortunately, tennis cost a lot of $$$. :(

Dopke
04-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Can't go without competition. I play social tennis a lot though, a lot more than before, and now my game isn't as good. But I think a good mix of both for me is best, cause sometimes social tennis just doesn't get my blood running enough.

hyperwarrior
04-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Can't go without competition. I play social tennis a lot though, a lot more than before, and now my game isn't as good. But I think a good mix of both for me is best, cause sometimes social tennis just doesn't get my blood running enough.

My situation is similar. My skills regress due to social tennis and also a lack of training.

Kaptain Karl
04-15-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't like social tennis, period. Even when I am practicing and drilling, I am doing it competitively. Whenever I get roped into "friendly" tennis, I end up very frustrated.

Three or four months ago we had a similar thread. Several people thought I needed to "lighten up." I don't seem to have that capability.

The only sport I derive great recreational enjoyment from is skiing ... but my brother used to complain that skiing with me always felt like a "workout". Even "recreationally" I am always working on "some" aspect of my skiing: getting the six bump techniques "down pat" ... smoothness in the trees ... steadiness in the chutes ... stamina in the deep ... etc. (But I don't do Big Air anymore. A concession to my wife to pay more attention to the fact that I'm not 20 anymore....)

I almost always "beg out" of social tennis. Which isn't meant to say I don't *have fun.* I really enjoy competition.

- KK

Phil
04-16-2005, 01:41 AM
I don't like social tennis, period. Even when I am practicing and drilling, I am doing it competitively. Whenever I get roped into "friendly" tennis, I end up very frustrated.

Three or four months ago we had a similar thread. Several people thought I needed to "lighten up." I don't seem to have that capability.

The only sport I derive great recreational enjoyment from is skiing ... but my brother used to complain that skiing with me always felt like a "workout". Even "recreationally" I am always working on "some" aspect of my skiing: getting the six bump techniques "down pat" ... smoothness in the trees ... steadiness in the chutes ... stamina in the deep ... etc. (But I don't do Big Air anymore. A concession to my wife to pay more attention to the fact that I'm not 20 anymore....)

I almost always "beg out" of social tennis. Which isn't meant to say I don't *have fun.* I really enjoy competition.

- KK

But you said you're 48 years old (as I recall)...hey, act like the adult you are. Enjoy life. I'm sure you've earned it/deserve it.

tennis-n-sc
04-16-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I guess in a way it depends on who I am playing. In some of the mixers at the club, it is possible to get paired or opposing someone less talented. So that becomes more social, even though I still want to win, just not nearly as bad. In the same mixer, it can become intensely competetive with the right opponents. I love league play and tournament play for the competition. After you pass a certain age and still have the competitive fires, tennis is the only sport I know of that allows a person to go for it. And this is true at any age. But all things equal, when I walk onto a court, I'm there to win. The levels of intensity vary, but not the desire to win. And I am a good sport in victory or defeat.

yamaha2k3
04-16-2005, 06:56 AM
I usually play social tennis. Yesterday, I went to my first tourniment. I had such a blast (even though I got eliminated in the second round). I really want to get good so I can play in more tourniments. I might go to the Zats in the summer. I guess Competitive tennis is more fun in my opinion.

Kaptain Karl
04-16-2005, 08:27 AM
But you said you're 48 years old (as I recall)...hey, act like the adult you are. Enjoy life. I'm sure you've earned it/deserve it.Correct, 48. I guess all I have to say is, "Write back when YOU reach your mid-40s, and let me know if your advice would be the same....

- KK

AndrewD
04-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Im getting back into competitive tennis by way of social tennis and starting to wonder if I need the comp at all. We play each Tuesday and Sunday, 8 game sets against a variety of skill levels, about 6 sets per time and I find it the perfect balance. Although you still want to play well there are no points at stake and, as you play with different partners against different opponents (some of who will be your next partner) it removes, mostly, the win-at-all-costs mentality you often get in purely competitive tennis. Still, its all what you make of it. By all reports Roy Emerson was the nicest, friendliest bloke you could meet but he played cut-throat competitive tennis at the highest level. So, I guess if you can keep your perspective - it is, after all, just a game- then you'll do well in either. If you ever find that perspectie wavering, however, social tennis is a great way to get it back.

theace21
04-16-2005, 07:52 PM
I play competitive tennis, but at times the wife ask me to play in these mixers. It is a great way to meet new people and find hitting partners. One of the great things about tennis is the people you meet. After a USTA match, the home team provides the beverages and snacks for the visiting team...These are great times, and in the end the both teams become friendly after a competitive match...

Phil
04-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Correct, 48. I guess all I have to say is, "Write back when YOU reach your mid-40s, and let me know if your advice would be the same....

- KK

Okay, you'll hear from me in a few years or so. I think my advice will be the same, because I used to be JUST LIKE YOU. Why would I change BACK now? Of course, you can play any way you like-you are who you are. But me? I still like winning, but I also like to have fun, and once in a while I'll actually lower myself and deign to play with lesser mortals (tennis skill-wise, that is) just to, well, socialize. I've met some pretty good people doing that, including a couple serious girlfriends. I've also met good people playing competitively. But, nothing makes me CRINGE more these days than watching a fully grown, seemingly mature man lose it on the court. Doesn't have to be tossing racquets-nothing that overt-just, well, almost crying, in a way. If course I don't mind it so much when I'm on the other side of the court, probably partially responsible for my opponent's personal angst.

Kaptain Karl
04-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Okay, you'll hear from me in a few years or so. I think my advice will be the same, because I used to be JUST LIKE YOU. Why would I change BACK now? You may have noticed previous posts of mine, that in my teens I was an ***. One day, age 19, I was about to smash my umpteenth stick in a childish tantrum ... and I suddenly instantly grew up. I've not ever acted like an *** on the court again. And I "lay down the law" with my HS boys each season. I make it very clear that they will not act (like I did) and play on my team.

(I believe I CHOSE to be a jerk. I give my boys the opportunity to choose to be gentlemen. I wish any of my parents/coaches had *acted* on their threats to discipline me at that time....)

... But, nothing makes me CRINGE more these days than watching a fully grown, seemingly mature man lose it on the court. Doesn't have to be tossing racquets-nothing that overt-just, well, almost crying, in a way.Probably the most pathetic tennis scene imaginable.... ... Of course I don't mind it so much when I'm on the other side of the court, probably partially responsible for my opponent's personal angst.Even then it bugs me to see someone lose it that badly....

I am intense. I play to win. And I am a gentleman on the courts ... always.

- KK

sarpmas
04-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Well, if there is such a term, I like to play competitive social tennis. Usually my partner and I will start off neutrally (without serving) and after 3 to 4 strokes of rally, we'll literally try to 'kill' each other. :) I found playing this way much more enjoyable than playing an actual match. Having said that, we do play a match once in a while so that we will not neglect our serves and returns.