PDA

View Full Version : ping pong ruins my strokes

serve stopper
11-01-2009, 02:47 PM
have any of you played ping pong before a match and then messes you up the next day

i kept hitting all of my balls into the net and it was really embarrassing

skyzoo
11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
have any of you played ping pong before a match and then messes you up the next day

ping pong ruins even the best of men

peli_kan
11-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Absolutely. It overwrites the tennis muscle memory in my left arm, leaving me with wristy strokes and zero footwork. I'm working on learning table tennis with my right hand because I'm semi-ambidextrous, and it's helped me retain my tennis skills so far.

jmhs
11-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Just one opinion, but I have played some of the best tennis of my life after a rousing table tennis/ping pong match. The tennis ball looks/feels like a beach ball in comparison. In comparison, I have all the time in the world to prepare. I have even prepared for a tough tennis hitting session by playing ping pong. Works great for me.

The Bryan Bros and other pros are excellent table tennis players. At USTA L1 and L2 18s tennis tournaments we play a lot of table tennis. All of the top junior players are really good. We play between matches...never heard anyone say anything about negative effects.

Falloutjr
11-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Actually, I use the same loopy strokes in ping pong that I do in tennis :P I never notice the difference!

ahile02
11-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Just one opinion, but I have played some of the best tennis of my life after a rousing table tennis/ping pong match. The tennis ball looks/feels like a beach ball in comparison. In comparison, I have all the time in the world to prepare. I have even prepared for a tough tennis hitting session by playing ping pong. Works great for me.

The Bryan Bros and other pros are excellent table tennis players. At USTA L1 and L2 18s tennis tournaments we play a lot of table tennis. All of the top junior players are really good. We play between matches...never heard anyone say anything about negative effects.

I second this. I don't play ping pong too often (wish I did though), and after I play for awhile and then go to tennis practice, the ball looks huge, and my reflexes and hand-eye coordination are much sharper.

I suspect the better you are at tennis, the harder it is for you to lose/screw up your muscle memory.

VaBeachTennis
11-01-2009, 03:56 PM

I agree with all of your points. Table tennis helps me with regular tennis because my natural propensity is to hit through the ball ala handball/racquet ball/paddle ball, etc. So when I play ping pong it reinforces 'deflecting the ball" and using more spin. In fact, if I start to get a little inconsistent when I'm playing tennis, I tell myself to "play ping pong".

ubermeyer
11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Strange, it has no effect on me whatsoever.

11-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I agree with all of your points. Table tennis helps me with regular tennis because my natural propensity is to hit through the ball ala handball/racquet ball/paddle ball, etc. So when I play ping pong it reinforces 'deflecting the ball" and using more spin. In fact, if I start to get a little inconsistent when I'm playing tennis, I tell myself to "play ping pong".

I'm with these guys. I use it to tune up and especially when the weather is such that I don't get to play tennis.

fattsoo
11-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah I ride a bike and then immediately after I played tennis, I think I over ran the ball because the bike riding messed up my game

to all serious tho, I don't think ping pong will mess u up, especially with your follow through, to me it's two different things

serve stopper
11-01-2009, 04:22 PM
well i know that there are some positives, but there are also negatives in it.

serve stopper
11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Absolutely. It overwrites the tennis muscle memory in my left arm, leaving me with wristy strokes and zero footwork. I'm working on learning table tennis with my right hand because I'm semi-ambidextrous, and it's helped me retain my tennis skills so far.

yeah i was actyually thinking about doing that also

LeeD
11-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Table tennis CAN ruin your strokes if you let it.... but why would you?
Just adopt a completely different grip, therefore a different hitting form, than the one conti grip you use for table tennis.
My table tennis grip is conti twisted towards EBH for everything.
For tennis, SW forehand, conti volleys (which are short punched, so not pingpong at all), EBH for tops and conti with EFH for hard slices...which all take STROKES, not wrist flicks.

SuperDuy
11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
I play table tennis everyday in the winter and tennis twice per week(indoor) doesn't mess me up, in fact it gets my hand eye coordination better.

I have a completely different grip for ping pong and I use my opposite then my tennis hand(ambidextrous) for ping pong.

Though what I sometimes do when Im really bored in winter and no1 to play tennis I take right hand with ping pong paddle then practice brushing up on ping pong ball for topspin (high ceiling) With serving/ like serve like tennis but with ping pong ball and paddle.

serve stopper
11-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I play table tennis everyday in the winter and tennis twice per week(indoor) doesn't mess me up, in fact it gets my hand eye coordination better.

I have a completely different grip for ping pong and I use my opposite then my tennis hand(ambidextrous) for ping pong.

Though what I sometimes do when Im really bored in winter and no1 to play tennis I take right hand with ping pong paddle then practice brushing up on ping pong ball for topspin (high ceiling) With serving/ like serve like tennis but with ping pong ball and paddle.

i do that to, but i only do that when the ball is like cracked :)

Cody
11-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah I ride a bike and then immediately after I played tennis, I think I over ran the ball because the bike riding messed up my game

to all serious tho, I don't think ping pong will mess u up, especially with your follow through, to me it's two different things

I ride my bike down to every training session, it helps me to get warmed up.
But what you said here is intresting, never though about it that way :)

Vyse
11-01-2009, 08:41 PM
It does help overall. the only negative is you have to get used to the rackets weight. after that ou should be better than ever

coyfish
11-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Yes it does lol ! I took my ping pong table out of storage and have been playing again. So much fun but man it kills my tennis. Takes me an extra day to get back to "normal." The racket feels so heavy and my 1H bh goes to hell.

Then I go back to playing ping pong and I start sucking because im using tennis strokes which are very different.

morten
11-02-2009, 01:21 AM
It is called table tennis, not ping pong!!!

Power Player
11-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Table tennis is great. It helps you practice hitting across the ball. Doesn't affect my tennis game.

serve stopper
11-02-2009, 04:05 PM
It is called table tennis, not ping pong!!!

my bad :( i forgot

defrule
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I love table tennis, but I do find it odd when I'm using tennis strokes and followthroughs in it.

VaBeachTennis
11-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I love table tennis, but I do find it odd when I'm using tennis strokes and followthroughs in it.

LOL, I do tend to use an "extreme eastern" as my forehand grip and a "semi-western" for my backhand grip in table tennis.

11-03-2009, 05:39 AM
any others use the 2 hander on the Bh at times? (table tennis)

jrod
11-03-2009, 06:04 AM

Bizarre...it's like saying eating your cereal with a spoon messes up your strokes. I have no problem distinguishing between table tennis strokes and tennis strokes. Perhaps it's the large, heavy racquet as opposed to a small, light paddle in my hand signals some kind of clue to my brain?

Try this:

1. Play 10 minutes of table tennis with your tennis racquet.
2. Play 10 minutes of mini tennis with a ping pong paddle.

Reprogramming complete.

serve stopper
11-03-2009, 12:46 PM
any others use the 2 hander on the Bh at times? (table tennis)

i do, but it depends on how high the ball is to me

serve stopper
11-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Bizarre...it's like saying eating your cereal with a spoon messes up your strokes. I have no problem distinguishing between table tennis strokes and tennis strokes. Perhaps it's the large, heavy racquet as opposed to a small, light paddle in my hand signals some kind of clue to my brain?

Try this:

1. Play 10 minutes of table tennis with your tennis racquet.
2. Play 10 minutes of mini tennis with a ping pong paddle.

Reprogramming complete.

i think i will try that thanks :)

rk_sports
11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Used to play a lot of Ping-Pong (and was good at it).
Now, I've an issue with my forehand not going deep.
At the point of contact, my racquet face is almost parallel to the ground and this allows a lot of spin.. but lose out on the depth and ability to hit high balls!

moroni
11-04-2009, 11:02 AM
its the opposite for me... after playing tennis i get no ball position awareness in table tennis due to different weight of rackets and reach....(table tennis never affected my tennis though).. howerver,,after warming up for about 10 mins i get my game back and im good at table tennis .. you just have to play the two regularly if u do not want to lose ur game

EDIT:in fact i started playing table tennis b4 i started tennis and i held an all around game but i'd always slice at backhand i didnt have a backhand stroke at table tennis
after i started tennis and develped a decent 1hbh topspin i found that the tech was somehow transferable and now i have a decent backhand stroke in tabble tennis so actually tennis improved my table tennis.. in fact it helped me so much two days ago i beat the table tennis (PE teacher) and now im on both tennis and table tennis teams. XD