PDA

View Full Version : String similar to Spiky Shark

whomprat
11-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm using an RDIS 98 with spiky Shark and Sensation strung at 58lb. I love the feel, but I'm shredding through the crosses way too fast. I'm guessing it's due to the shark's sharp edges. Is there another string that has the same feel without the edges that shark has? I tried going to a more durable cross but it hurts my cute tender sweet little elbow.

thanks,

whomprat

alidisperanza
11-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Hmm, You liked the sensation/shark combo? It doesn't feel mushy? I tried and tried and tried to like this combo but couldn't get anything out of it. (same tension too in my prestige mid). Spiky Shark, since it has the gear like shape, will typically bite into and lock into multis. Pretty much any multi you can find will get shredded by the shark.

Uhmmm... suggestions for crosses in no particular order...
- TnT and prodigy aren't horrible softer strings (beware of tension loss)
- Kirshbaum pro line II isn't horrible if you want to try the poly route again.
- Touch multifibre by Kirsh is, imo, a nice string too (the only multi I've ever liked) It's got a relatively durable outer coating
-NRG isn't as "sticky" as Sensation, a few of my customers LOVE x-1 as well.

As for poly mains-
MSV HEx- currently my string of choice.
Black Code
Signum Hyperion- I have sets of this in the mail, it looks promising. should blend with multi a little better since it shouldn't shred it as fast.

Nanshiki
11-01-2009, 08:57 PM
String savers.

jrod
11-02-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm using an RDIS 98 with spiky Shark and Sensation strung at 58lb. I love the feel, but I'm shredding through the crosses way too fast. I'm guessing it's due to the shark's sharp edges. Is there another string that has the same feel without the edges that shark has? I tried going to a more durable cross but it hurts my cute tender sweet little elbow.

thanks,

whomprat

I've heard that Pro Line II is supposed to be identical to Spiky Shark with a smooth exterior profile. Should reduce notching of multi's in a hybrid.

alidisperanza
11-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Very similar play-ability. Spiky Shark is surprisingly soft. Every time I string a set it surprises me, it's so drastic from say PHT

Blade0324
11-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I mighy also suggest Pro Supex Spiral Flex for your crosses. It is surprisingly durable.

Kevo
11-03-2009, 03:07 PM
I have some Babolat Powergy coming in this week. I plan on trying a Shark/Powergy hybrid. I'm also going to try Liberty and Wilson Hex Spin as crosses too. I'll post my findings.

So far though, I'm liking the Shark in a full bed at 53lbs.

TennezSport
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I've heard that Pro Line II is supposed to be identical to Spiky Shark with a smooth exterior profile. Should reduce notching of multi's in a hybrid.

According to Kirschbaum this is exactly correct. Both Pro Line II and Spiky are made from the same core substance. The only difference is the added color and rough surface on the Spiky. If you love your current hybrid, this combo should give you what you want and last longer.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

whomprat
11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Great. I've got a pack of ProLine II on the way. I'll be curious to see what difference the string will make with the spin. I've noticed that I get a ton of spin with the shark when it's first strung, but it seems to wear off after a while. It could all be in my head though. I'll let you all know for the one or two people who might be curious. :)

whomprat
11-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I've been using the pro-line II for a few days and it is very similar feeling to the Shark. Thanks for the help. I honestly can't tell a difference in the spin from shark and pro-line II, although I'm sure there is.

whomprat

Murray_fan1
11-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Does Proline II go dead as quickly as Spiky shark?

alidisperanza
11-09-2009, 09:31 PM
spiky has a bit more of an "adjustment" period I would call it. Probably has somethign to do with the whole gears locking into strings