PDA

View Full Version : Powerful Polys?

Power Player
11-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I am starting to see why the cheaper polys are 7-8 bucks. They have no real sound or feel and no power. Black Magic is a great example of this.

I am looking for a poly with power..one that cracks when I hit it and let's me control it with spin. I currently have one but it is a tester string and not in production yet.

I know I can look it up on string database, but I wanted opinions of people here. I am thinking of trying Big Ace again, or Pro Line II, but I have no idea what else to consider.

I string at 54#s and use YT Radical Pros. I use full poly, not hybrid.

meowmix
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
You know that you're about to flamed right? :)

No comment for now, as I haven't tried enough polys yet. I will say that many 1st gen polys do CRACK for an hour or two, and then just die.

Kick Serve 14
11-01-2009, 06:54 PM
IsoSpeed in thin gauges are powerful as h*ll

Power Player
11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
You know that you're about to flamed right? :)

No comment for now, as I haven't tried enough polys yet. I will say that many 1st gen polys do CRACK for an hour or two, and then just die.

Why would I be flamed? I have searched around in here..etc.

Isospeed...cool..I will check that one out.

Lsmkenpo
11-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Polyfibre TCS is the most powerful poly I have played, Topspin poly polar has that cracking sound at
contact and is powerful if you can find a place that still carries it.

Alex Y
11-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Weiss Cannon Scorpion is the most powerful poly I tried.

PROTENNIS63
11-02-2009, 09:02 AM
All polys have low power. If you want high power strings then go with gut. Otherwise hit the gym.

With that being said, Cyber Blue is powerful for a poly.

Power Player
11-02-2009, 10:12 AM
I hit the gym real hard. Don't worry about my personal strength because that is a non issue here. I hit very hard with this current prototype I have compared to past polys and I would like to try and find similar strings. The Radical Pro is extremely sensitive to different strings..its not like the APDC where I could throw anything in there and it was booming. I prefer the Rad's control, so I need to find the right strings for it.

bad_call
11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I am starting to see why the cheaper polys are 7-8 bucks. They have no real sound or feel and no power. Black Magic is a great example of this.

I am looking for a poly with power..one that cracks when I hit it and let's me control it with spin. I currently have one but it is a tester string and not in production yet.

I know I can look it up on string database, but I wanted opinions of people here. I am thinking of trying Big Ace again, or Pro Line II, but I have no idea what else to consider.

have found that BAM hybrid gives those aspects but not so much the thundering sound. need to meet up again. btw - recently strung a BAM hybrid for a fellow hitter who really likes the string combo.

Power Player
11-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Yes for sure. I have one more set of this prototype so if we hit in the next few weeks, you will be able to see exactly what I mean.

Pusher
11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Its kind of like asking for a 4 wheel drive porsche.

They don't make them.

Power with polys comes from racquet speed-not the strings. Thus you see the comment about hitting the gym.

Spin comes from high string stiffness that allows high racquet speed with lower power.

All polys require that you add your own power.

pow
11-02-2009, 11:57 AM

They don't make them.

Power with polys comes from racquet speed-not the strings. Thus you see the comment about hitting the gym.

Spin comes from high string stiffness that allows high racquet speed with lower power.

but they do make 4 wheel drive Porsche... :)

From my experience with polys, I have felt Touch Turbo and Pro Line II were noticeably more powerful than the other polys that I've used like BB Original, Kirsch Competition to name a few.

Power Player
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
LOL..thanks pow. It's funny how some people think there are no polys with power, when I am hitting with one now, Luxilon names a string ALU POWER..etc.

So far my list looks like:

Pro Line II
Weiscannn Scorpion
Topsin Concept Pure
Pro Supex Big Ace

I could probably pound for pound outlift over 80% of the posters here too..the gym comments crack me up.

lawlitssoo1n
11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
have you tried thinner gauges?
well there are trade off for other strings.
stiffer=more spin less feel
softer=more power less spin
thicker gauge=more control
thinner gauge= more spin
From my experience, concept pure is the best balanced string, for spin, softness, and control.

jrod
11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
but they do make 4 wheel drive Porsche... :)

Which begs the question who in their right mind would pay $126K for an SUV that can go 174 mph on a track but can't go off-road?

Porche Cayenne Owner = moron
Powerful poly = oxymoron

scotus
11-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Have you considered gut mains and poly crosses?

Power Player
11-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I tried gut and it broke after 6 hours. I have to go full poly.

Once again, powerful for me is in terms of poly. A lot of people keep saying there is no powerful poly, but there are varying levels of power in poly strings. I have experienced this first hand after going from Black Magic at 54#s to the Lux prototype at the same tension.My hittiing partners noticed it immediatley. It's not even close.

pow
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Which begs the question who in their right mind would pay $126K for an SUV that can go 174 mph on a track but can't go off-road?

Powerful poly = oxymoron

I was actually thinking about all wheel drive Carreras which was made for handling, how successful it is at doing that, I don't know well enough to comment.

Powerful poly is all relative, they are powerful compared to other polys. To be honest, they're not too bad from my experience. I really enjoy the Touch Turbo, Pro Line II, and ALU Power. The power really compliments the extra spin that you can get from a full poly stringbed.

pow
11-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Once again, powerful for me is in terms of poly. A lot of people keep saying there is no powerful poly, but there are varying levels of power in poly strings. I have experienced this first hand after going from Black Magic at 54#s to the Lux prototype at the same tension.My hittiing partners noticed it immediatley. It's not even close.

Is the Lux Prototype powerful?

aphex
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM

They don't make them.

Powerful poly = oxymoron

JEEZ

http://forum.avtoindex.com/foto/data/media/64/2007_porsche_911_turbo_1.jpg

BigT
11-02-2009, 01:10 PM
LOL..thanks pow. It's funny how some people think there are no polys with power, when I am hitting with one now, Luxilon names a string ALU POWER..etc.

Pro Line II
Weiscannn Scorpion
Topsin Concept Pure
Pro Supex Big Ace

I could probably pound for pound outlift over 80% of the posters here too..the gym comments crack me up.

that's a good list; I would add PolyStar Energy to that as well.

DennisK
11-02-2009, 01:13 PM
JEEZ

http://forum.avtoindex.com/foto/data/media/64/2007_porsche_911_turbo_1.jpg

The 997 C4 and C4S are all 4WD too.

Anyway, Proline II is meant to be quite powerful and fresh Lux Alu is powerful with tons of spin too.

jrod
11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I was actually thinking about all wheel drive Carreras which was made for handling, how successful it is at doing that, I don't know well enough to comment.

Handling is superb.

Powerful poly is all relative, they are powerful compared to other polys. To be honest, they're not too bad from my experience. I really enjoy the Touch Turbo, Pro Line II, and ALU Power. The power really compliments the extra spin that you can get from a full poly stringbed.

Relatively speaking, PLII is reasonably powerful for a poly...comfortable too.

corners
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM

Have you checked out TW University's new String Comparison Tool?

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/stringselector/stringselector.php

This is an unprecedented level of objective data on strings. They don't have all the strings on the market, yet, but have a good enough sample of poly right now to inform your selection significantly. If I were to guess I would say this tool is more valuable than all reviews and blather on these boards about strings by a factor of 10. Objective data on every aspect of string performance at various tensions and swing speeds. The only thing missing is slipperiness and lifespan of slipperiness.

According to TWU's tests, at 54#, Weisscannon Silverstring 1.20 is the softest poly if you use a fast swing.

7 strings, including WC Scorpion and Alu Rough score highest for Energy Return among polys at 54# with a fast swing.

Worth noting in the description of the Energy Return spec is that all strings are within 2-4% of each other in energy return. Also worth noting is that all synguts, multis and guts tested give better energy return than any poly, as everyone knows, but the polys with best energy return are just a tad less powerful than multis with the worst energy return.

Power Player
11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Corners..I had no idea about that..thanks! huge post of the day for me..lol.

And POW, yes, the prototype is ridiculous. Massive power. I went a little more western to control it, and I am now addicted to how it plays. When you put it on a flexy stick like the Radical Pro, you can still hit precisely, so it is the best of both worlds in the power and control category.

Once again..this is all relative to poly only..not any other string.

jrod
11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Have you checked out TW University's new String Comparison Tool?

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/stringselector/stringselector.php

This is an unprecedented level of objective data on strings. They don't have all the strings on the market, yet, but have a good enough sample of poly right now to inform your selection significantly. If I were to guess I would say this tool is more valuable than all reviews and blather on these boards about strings by a factor of 10. Objective data on every aspect of string performance at various tensions and swing speeds. The only thing missing is slipperiness and lifespan of slipperiness.

Excellent post corners... as always.

According to TWU's tests, at 54#, Weisscannon Silverstring 1.20 is the softest poly if you use a fast swing.

I love it when the testers come to the same conclusion I did after all my testing. I use WCSS 1.20 in my crosses at 53# (along with Tonic mains @ 55#).

7 strings, including WC Scorpion and Alu Rough score highest for Energy Return among polys at 54# with a fast swing.

My sense is if you don't have a fast swing, you're not benefiting from the poly.

Worth noting in the description of the Energy Return spec is that all strings are within 2-4% of each other in energy return. Also worth noting is that all synguts, multis and guts tested give better energy return than any poly, as everyone knows, but the polys with best energy return are just a tad less powerful than multis with the worst energy return.

In terms of quantifying things, what exactly does 2-4% amount to? It would be nice to see this on a ball trajectory plot for a fixed set of assumptions about the racquet, swing speed and tension....

J011yroger
11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Fresh ALU rough has all kinds of pop and bite, and sounds decent.

Dead ALU rough has, ummmm.... Nothing, well it still sounds kind of decent.

It is pricey, but in my opinion there is no better full poly job.

I actually like 'The Jolly Rig' better than full ALUR, and so do my friends who have switched to it.

J

bad_call
11-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Pro Line II
Weiscannn Scorpion
Topsin Concept Pure
Pro Supex Big Ace

opinions...everyone has them but not everyone can back them up. :)

Power Player
11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Fresh ALU rough has all kinds of pop and bite, and sounds decent.

Dead ALU rough has, ummmm.... Nothing, well it still sounds kind of decent.

It is pricey, but in my opinion there is no better full poly job.

I actually like 'The Jolly Rig' better than full ALUR, and so do my friends who have switched to it.

J

Im intrigued by it..lol.

The Lux protoype died after 12 hours. It was the worst I have hit in months. So it was typical lux..amazing, incredible.etc for a while and then immediate death and the worst hitting you can imagine. I am hoping to get a little more balance from the strings I have listed.

J011yroger
11-03-2009, 03:18 AM
Im intrigued by it..lol.

The Lux protoype died after 12 hours. It was the worst I have hit in months. So it was typical lux..amazing, incredible.etc for a while and then immediate death and the worst hitting you can imagine. I am hoping to get a little more balance from the strings I have listed.

12 hours is a long long time of playing for a poly string.

J

jrod
11-03-2009, 03:20 AM
12 hours is a long long time of playing for a poly string.

J

Most I get out of Lux is 4 hours. I get more than 16 hours out of Weiscannon Silverstring, making it far more economical to hybrid with gut.

J011yroger
11-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Most I get out of Lux is 4 hours. I get more than 16 hours out of Weiscannon Silverstring, making it far more economical to hybrid with gut.

Before it goes dead or before it breaks?

And which Lux?

J

jrod
11-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Before it goes dead or before it breaks?

And which Lux?

J

BBO or ALU Power both lose their resilience quickly. I very rarely break poly.

Power Player
11-03-2009, 04:42 AM
I have gotten more time out of other polys, but yeah for Lux this was long. Usually you get 5 hours and then your hitting goes to crap and you feel every vibration known to man before it mercifully breaks a little later.

OHBH
11-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Instead of a powerful poly, how about a stiff synthetic gut?
Gamma TNT2

Power Player
11-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Id love that if it had the durability of a poly. I break strings too easily unfortunately.

FlameYo
11-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Gamma PolyPlasma ($11) Soft-Poly Power at 50-55 lbs

Lux. Alu Power are actually weak compare to PolyPlasma, I say PPlasma is 10-15% more power full

Sublime
11-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Have you tried prince recoil? Lots of pop, very good spin, and holds tension amazingly and it's price has been reduced to $16.

I've hit with it for about 3 hours of match play and I'd guess it's about half way done. I get about 8 hours out of blue gear/BA, so it's about 75% of the durability of a poly.

If you get say 12 hours out of a poly, I'd definitely give recoil a shot. You may only get 8 or 9 hours out of it, but it won't go dead or loose during that time.

corners
11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
In terms of quantifying things, what exactly does 2-4% amount to? It would be nice to see this on a ball trajectory plot for a fixed set of assumptions about the racquet, swing speed and tension....

Yeah, it's not clear what this means in terms of ball speed and trajectory. From watching the development of TWU's tools over the past year, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see the String Comparison data integrated into the stroke simulator tool at some point.

I guess the big question though is "does Energy Return mean ACOR, or Power Potential?" If so, 2-4% is very significant - it would mean a 9 ounce racquet with gut is about as powerful as a 12 oz. racquet with stiff poly, at the same swingspeed. However, TW Prof. previously wrote that a ten pound difference in tension might equate to a 1% addition or subtraction to ACOR/Power Potential, so I would guess that 2-4% is not referring to Power Potential directly.

Maybe the Professor can chime in. If I have two identical racquets (A & B) with 40% Power Potential at the center of the stringbed (21"/0") and string A with the least powerful string (least Energy Return) and B with the most powerful (highest Energy Return), would racquet A have a Power Potential of 39% and B have a Power Potential of 41% (assuming 2% difference in Energy Return between strings)?

I'd like to hear the answer from the Prof, but I'm guessing it would rather be: Racquet A = 39.59% Power Potential and Racquet B = 40.41% Power Potential (again assuming only 2% difference between least and most powerful strings). This is still a significant difference - the equivalent to adding about 8 units to the swingweight of the frame (assuming of course you could still swing it as fast after adding those units) - but not hugely so.

Sublime
11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
corners you're looking at it the wrong way.

Let's say you took a set of kevlar and a set of natural gut. You create a test apparatus of thick metal bars that allows you to string a tennis pattern. Then you drop a metal ball onto both string beds from a height and recorded how high the metal balls bounced.

The results would be very similar, within 4%.

The difference is we play with flexible rackets and tennis balls that compress and both of those materials are much much worse at returning the energy put into them. So the "power" of a string is not really governed by how much energy it returns vs takes in, but how much it takes in to begin with.

When a ball hits the string bed, the energy each component gets (ball, string, frame) will be proportional to their stiffness. So if you want the strings to receive more of the energy from the collision you want a string with low stiffness and low tension increase.

For a poly, according to TWU's measurments, this would be Silverstring or one of the polyfibre polys.

Pusher
11-03-2009, 10:21 AM

Six hours from gut is not bad. Higher level players will break BBO in 3 hours or less. ALU about half that.

I would be looking at a good syngut.

Power Player
11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
No..I will not be using syngut. It breaks way too fast. And I don't need to be told I am a lower level player because I don't break strings at warp speed like you are insinuating. Which is extremely lame logic since your level of play is not dependant on how fast you break strings.

I have broken strings in 2 hours..8 hours..all over the map, and frankly it does not make me feel like a better or worse player..just a guy with a little less money and one less stick to hit with that day.

Pusher
11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
No..I will not be using syngut. It breaks way too fast. And I don't need to be told I am a lower level player because I don't break strings at warp speed like you are insinuating. Which is extremely lame logic since your level of play is not dependant on how fast you break strings.

I have broken strings in 2 hours..8 hours..all over the map, and frankly it does not make me feel like a better or worse player..just a guy with a little less money and one less stick to hit with that day.

Don't care about your level. But durability is a major factor in deciding to use a poly. My advice is if you don't need a poly then don't use it. I was making the point that 6 hours on gut is good durability for some. Using that as a reference I think syngut would be a good value string for you.

My son plays div-I and he would switch to syngut if it would last at least an hour.

Didn't mean to get you upset.

Power Player
11-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I respect what you are saying. I have tried to go no poly before and do syngut. I would also prefer that route. It breaks super fast for me though. I MAY still go that route one day if I buy my own stringing machine though because it is the only way I could do it without spending way too much cash on tennis.

I can't even really hybrid because the non poly strings break too quickly.

I used full poly for a while and never thought twce aboout power..etc until I played luxilon and realized what I was missing. I am willing to go down a few levels in power from there if the string will give me 12-15 hours of play beforew dying or breaking. I play with one big hitting 5.0, and the rest are 4-5s who are more placement and junkball oriented. This is a factor in durability that I noticed because the balls are not coming at me as hard as I am hitting them.

This is why I made the thread, I relazied you can buy the 8 dollar poly strings, but the 10-12 dollar ones can offer more mojo.

mawashi
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Cyber Blue is powerful for a poly.

I agree that cyberblue is a powerful poly n is decently priced. There's no need to get $15 polys cus they really don't last long enough to merit that kind of $.

$11 is bout the max I'll pay for a poly. Concept is a little too new for a lot of feedback n if you really want a poly that has power, crack, decent power I would say get Poly Force. It's an oldie but still good.

I was also going to add MSV Hex into the mix but I haven't tried it out too.

Happy hunting.

mawashi

old coach
11-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I agree that cyberblue is a powerful poly n is decently priced. There's no need to get $15 polys cus they really don't last long enough to merit that kind of $.

$11 is bout the max I'll pay for a poly. Concept is a little too new for a lot of feedback n if you really want a poly that has power, crack, decent power I would say get Poly Force. It's an oldie but still good.

I was also going to add MSV Hex into the mix but I haven't tried it out too.

Happy hunting.

mawashi

Cyber Blue would be great choice for the racket like this 16x19. Any soft poly would do a great for this type of racket. 16x19 is a beast specially for aggressive baseliners with heavy topspin.

PED
11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
My son plays div-I and he would switch to syngut if it would last at least an hour.

Pusher, how's Junior? How's the 2nd year going for him? I'm still in awe of the physical work you mentioned that they had him doing last year.

Pusher
11-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Pusher, how's Junior? How's the 2nd year going for him? I'm still in awe of the physical work you mentioned that they had him doing last year.

His 2nd year is much better. The same amount of work but its not as much of a shock as the first year. No health or injury issues this year-so far.

He's winning maybe 30-40% of his matches so he is competetive with most opponents. He's still young and his opponents are 20-24 year old foreign guys with pro experience.

Thanks for asking. Still using the Pro Supex?

PED
11-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Pusher, glad to hear that. The difference between a true american soph versus a physically mature 23 year old is a big one indeed.

I'm hooked on k baum pl2. I love the stuff. It lasts me between 9 and 10 hours before snapping and that's all I can ask. Great spin and really nice power. I'm playing around this week with the new Prince Tri Spin Poly that I got. It's Prince's version of BG but with 3 gears-to the touch, it feels like it should really grab the ball.

Pusher
11-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I respect what you are saying. I have tried to go no poly before and do syngut. I would also prefer that route. It breaks super fast for me though. I MAY still go that route one day if I buy my own stringing machine though because it is the only way I could do it without spending way too much cash on tennis.

I can't even really hybrid because the non poly strings break too quickly.

I used full poly for a while and never thought twce aboout power..etc until I played luxilon and realized what I was missing. I am willing to go down a few levels in power from there if the string will give me 12-15 hours of play beforew dying or breaking. I play with one big hitting 5.0, and the rest are 4-5s who are more placement and junkball oriented. This is a factor in durability that I noticed because the balls are not coming at me as hard as I am hitting them.

This is why I made the thread, I relazied you can buy the 8 dollar poly strings, but the 10-12 dollar ones can offer more mojo.

I've gone thru a lot of string-mostly with my son. I've concluded that the really good polys (expensive) either break or die faster than the cheap polys-don't know why but Lux and Hurricane Tour just don't last as long as something like Wilson Enduro Pro/tour/Mono and other 1st gen polys. My son uses Lux BBO (16ga) and its a great string but he breaks it in about 3-4 hours. I may try the 15L BBO at some point. Lux ALU will break in 90 minutes.

You're right, your opponent has a lot to do with string duarability. Hitting with a heavy top spin player is hard on strings.

Over this past summer I had junior use some 15gauge Prince syngut and it was fairly durable-about 1.5 hours. It was a little sluggish but generally OK. Oddly enough he tried some Prince tournament nylon (15ga) and it lasted longer than the syngut. For $1.50 it really was a good string. His team string is babolat Polymono-a stiff string you could use on a weedeater-but its durable.

Good luck.

Pusher
11-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Pusher, glad to hear that. The difference between a true american soph versus a physically mature 23 year old is a big one indeed.

Indeed.

I'm hooked on k baum pl2. I love the stuff. It lasts me between 9 and 10 hours before snapping and that's all I can ask. Great spin and really nice power. I'm playing around this week with the new Prince Tri Spin Poly that I got. It's Prince's version of BG but with 3 gears-to the touch, it feels like it should really grab the ball.

Never tried any Kstring but I've been tempted. Same with some of the Pacific polys. Of course I mainly string for me and the wife so I don't need to be picky.

Good to talk to you again!

corners
11-04-2009, 07:28 AM
corners you're looking at it the wrong way.

Let's say you took a set of kevlar and a set of natural gut. You create a test apparatus of thick metal bars that allows you to string a tennis pattern. Then you drop a metal ball onto both string beds from a height and recorded how high the metal balls bounced.

The results would be very similar, within 4%.

The difference is we play with flexible rackets and tennis balls that compress and both of those materials are much much worse at returning the energy put into them. So the "power" of a string is not really governed by how much energy it returns vs takes in, but how much it takes in to begin with.

When a ball hits the string bed, the energy each component gets (ball, string, frame) will be proportional to their stiffness. So if you want the strings to receive more of the energy from the collision you want a string with low stiffness and low tension increase.

For a poly, according to TWU's measurments, this would be Silverstring or one of the polyfibre polys.

Yeah, that's what I thought - it's all about stiffness - one of TW Prof's previous articles makes this case with conviction. But have you read the explanation for the Energy Return stat in the String Comparison Tool?:

The graph and slider bar percentages indicate energy return as compared to the selected string. The moving ball and racquet each has energy. Upon impact, a portion of this combined energy will go into stretching the strings (some will also go to bending, moving, twisting and rotating the racquet and deforming the ball). 'Energy return' measures how much of the energy that is stored in the stretched string is redirected to propel the ball. Most strings are very close in energy return--probably only 2-4% separates them. Where strings differ in energy return is not in the energy they themselves store and return, but in the energy they cause the racquet and ball to lose. A stiffer string will cause greater impact force which will both bend the racquet more and deform the ball more. Both racquet bending and ball compression involve a lot of energy loss. The results displayed above reflect the energy return of the string plus the energy loss that gets transferred to the test apparatus by the string. This transfer of energy is similar to that which occurs from the string to the racquet in a tennis hit.

If stiffness were the only factor, then Weiscannon Silverstring 1.20 would be the most powerful poly at mid-tensions with a fast swing, as it is the least stiff of any string tested under those conditions. But, WCS tested in the mid-range of Energy Return for polys under the same conditions. I read the above to mean that Stiffness is incorporated into the Energy Return stat, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sublime
11-04-2009, 07:59 AM
If stiffness were the only factor, then Weiscannon Silverstring 1.20 would be the most powerful poly at mid-tensions with a fast swing, as it is the least stiff of any string tested under those conditions. But, WCS tested in the mid-range of Energy Return for polys under the same conditions. I read the above to mean that Stiffness is incorporated into the Energy Return stat, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah it would be good if TW Prof would respond. I've read that description before and nodding my head in agreement through it, until I got to the last 2 sentences where I became lost.

What I gather from the description though has made me inclined to toss out those results as not very relevant. If you click the video button they show a test apparatus... is it the test apparatus? I don't know, but I assume it is. Based on that assumption, those results put a good deal of emphasis on the the interaction of the frame and the strings. However on the court, the energy absorbed vs returned from the strings and racket are thoroughly overwhelmed by the energy absorbed vs returned by the tennis ball. The power of a string lies in it's ability to keep energy from going into that energy blackhole we call a tennis ball.

bad_call
11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
interesting posts regarding energy return etc. feels like i'm back in physics class. :)

as usual what works for one, may not work for another (player specific).

jrod
11-04-2009, 09:54 AM

I don't think of WCSS as being particularly outstanding in terms of energy return, but it is soft and I find it retains it's playability better than most other polys.

Japanda
11-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Whats the difference between Polys and Hybrids?

Power Player
11-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Pusher...how many sticks does your son have? Hitting with fresh Lux ever 4 hours would be fantastic..lol. I have to agree that it seems like the cheap polys do last longer. The Black Magic lasts way longer then lux for sure. It just does not play as well.

I am hoping the scorpion delivers since it is only 9.99. I may end up going back to big ace to try and make it work in the Radical. It was easy on the arm and had good power.

Black Magic feels extremely muted in the Radical Pro..kind of ruins the feel of the racquet for me.

PED
11-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Pusher...how many sticks does your son have? Hitting with fresh Lux ever 4 hours would be fantastic..lol. I have to agree that it seems like the cheap polys do last longer. The Black Magic lasts way longer then lux for sure. It just does not play as well.

I am hoping the scorpion delivers since it is only 9.99. I may end up going back to big ace to try and make it work in the Radical. It was easy on the arm and had good power.

Black Magic feels extremely muted in the Radical Pro..kind of ruins the feel of the racquet for me.

You might want to try out some Kirschbaum PL2 in the 1.25mm size. It's $12 or so in set form but it's more reasonable at 150 a reel. I realize that you can buy a reel of BA for less, but I do feel it's worth the extra $. I used it in a Prestige Pro and now in a PSLgt. The open pattern of the Pro should be similar to your YT RP. I used it at 58/56 this past year and it was magic. Really nice controllable power for a poly.

I never thought I'd say this but I actually prefer it to alu now:shock:

ScoopsHaaganDazs
11-05-2009, 06:14 PM
I have to disagree that Cyber Blue is a powerful poly. There are many polys stronger than it. I personally think that the Isospeed Blacks ($40 a reel ones) are one of the strongest polys i've hit with.

By power, do you mean strings that give off as much power as you put into it, or the ones that trampoline right off?

corners
11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah it would be good if TW Prof would respond. I've read that description before and nodding my head in agreement through it, until I got to the last 2 sentences where I became lost.

What I gather from the description though has made me inclined to toss out those results as not very relevant. If you click the video button they show a test apparatus... is it the test apparatus? I don't know, but I assume it is. Based on that assumption, those results put a good deal of emphasis on the the interaction of the frame and the strings. However on the court, the energy absorbed vs returned from the strings and racket are thoroughly overwhelmed by the energy absorbed vs returned by the tennis ball. The power of a string lies in it's ability to keep energy from going into that energy blackhole we call a tennis ball.

Ah, good point. A swinging hammer isn't going to lose energy through deformation like a tennis ball:) But I would have thought the Prof would take that into account. Would be helpful if you chimed in Prof. Prof??...

Power Player
11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
This racquet I have is super sensitive to strings. I really played well with the powerful poly in it and I also played well with the stock ones..lol. It's nuts. So Im just trying to figure out strings to demo so I can settle on what set and forget about it. I am actually considering some Head strings since they may play best in the racquet.

Sublime
11-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Ah, good point. A swinging hammer isn't going to lose energy through deformation like a tennis ball:) But I would have thought the Prof would take that into account. Would be helpful if you chimed in Prof. Prof??...

Me too.

*Bump* in hopes that he can give his 2c.

Sublime
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
*BUMP*
Last try to get TW Professor's attention