PDA

View Full Version : Did Agassi throw games for cash?

richied
11-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I was chatting with a journalist who worked on the tennis scene in the 80's. He said Agassi was a hated man amongst the journalists at that time. He said most of them had heard about Agassi throwing games for big cash.
Anyone, know anything about this? Or total crap??

Carsomyr
11-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Who's this source? Joseph Pulitzer? William Randolph Hearst? Name names!

jefferson
11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Just throwing that out there! Seems a bit silly to me. I don't think that he would take a short term cash payment that would jeopordize his long term cash cow!

r2473
11-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Who's this source? Joseph Pulitzer? William Randolph Hearst? Name names!

Slim said it's true.

Next week Andre is set to reveal that he, Steve Young, and Jacko had numerous sleep-overs in the 90's.

AutoXer
11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Slim said it's true.

Next week Andre is set to reveal that he, Steve Young, and Jacko had numerous sleep-overs in the 90's.

He is saving that for his next book.

stormholloway
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
He used to spit on tennis balls too.

Carsomyr
11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
He used to spit on tennis balls too.

Ah, the spit-serve; outlawed after Bill Tilden killed a fellow player with it in the infamous Helsinki incident of 1919 that I think we're all familiar with.

Xenakis
11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I've heard the throwing-games-for-cash stories, not only that, but apparently Agassi had perfected a lightweight battery for electric cars that would have revolutionised the auto industry but it was buried by big oil in the early 90s (they had some dirt on Andre about his wig and all that ladies underwear and Jacko sleep-over stuff, shame really.)

danb
11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
I was chatting with a journalist who worked on the tennis scene in the 80's. He said Agassi was a hated man amongst the journalists at that time. He said most of them had heard about Agassi throwing games for big cash.
Anyone, know anything about this? Or total crap??

A guy on dope would NEVER throw a match for cash; Agassi proved how honest he is.:twisted: Besides tennis is a clean sport. And Santa is real!

jefferson
11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Now he MIGHT have thrown games and even sets to keep his hair piece a secret! But cash no.

viktorkwan
11-02-2009, 03:32 PM
not sure about throwing matches for money...

but i think it's been widely reported that he didn't give 100% effort in certain matches for tournaments where he was paid considerable appearance $...

so perhaps he only went to those tourneys for the apperance $...lose the first round and pocket more $ than the eventual tourney winner...

but he probably wasn't the only one doing that back in the 80s and 90s...

danb
11-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Now he MIGHT have thrown games and even sets to keep his hair piece a secret! But cash no.

LOL LOL - 10 chars