PDA

View Full Version : high kick

tennis_pr0
11-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Just wanted to take a little survey...what second serve is more effective, moderate kick with a lot of pace, or high kick with moderate pace. I have both, but I feel like the one with more pace and less kick works better. Any opinions on the topic?

tikkimonkey
11-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I say the one that goes in more often, seeing as the purpose of the second serve is to get the ball in play. However, if one gets dominated by the opponent, you could mix it up?

tennis_pr0
11-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I know, I do that, I was asking what people thought a more effective serve is.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Just wanted to take a little survey...what second serve is more effective, moderate kick with a lot of pace, or high kick with moderate pace. I have both, but I feel like the one with more pace and less kick works better. Any opinions on the topic?

Always the high one. It's the same concept with the wide serve. Which is easier to return, the fast one with moderate action, or the moderately paced one with ridiculous curve? The one with crazy curve, duh!

However, this doesn't always hold true for every returner. Some like slower and can deal with the added action, while most like faster with less action. Why? Because it's easy to block it back or drive through it.

In general, the fast one will win you more free points, while the one with more spin will keep your opponents back more often (keep you in neutral) and allow you to set up points more effectively without taking risks. I mean, if you can bomb 100 and still get it to shoulder level, I'd stick with that. But if it only goes chest high, it's not that tough to deal with. It'd just be a slow first serve. But if you can hit 90 and get it over the head, I'd go with that over anything. Once you hit 90, you don't really need more pace, and can just keep increasing the action on it. If you can do the same while playing above 100, do it.

I would very much rather deal with the hard kicker than the high kicker. The high kicker really is tough to get down unless you're well inside the court. You can take a whack on it, but you'll easily miss some and you definitely won't get away with more than a few a match because of how far out of position you'd have to be to pull it off. For the hard kicker, it's easier to pull it off, though you'd have to use a shorter swing, which makes things easier and since the pace is supplied by the serve already, you're all set. To rip on a high kicker, you need a big swing and to time it well. It's kind of hard to pull off consistently unless you commit to taking that positioning risk. If you get caught doing it, there's no way you can recover, so they have to be more conservative on the return.

I'd say keep mixing them up. Also, if you do one really well, then stick to that one. If you have a 7 foot kicker, use that often and mix in the hard kicker. If you have a 100 mph hard kicker, then use that often and mix in the high kicker.

rosheem
11-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Depends on the returner, but I find that the high kicker to the weaker side is more effective.

It's also a bit easier to pinpoint the location with just a bit more height.

Personally, my goal on the second serve is not "to get the ball in".

My goal is to force a return error or a very weak return.

jrod
11-02-2009, 05:00 AM

My opinion is it depends on who your opponent is. In addition, both serves are useful against any single opponent. As for which one might be effective more often, I'd say that depends somewhat on what level you are refering too. My experience is high kickers are extremely effective at the 4.0 level and below, but above 4.0 the players are more skilled at both reading the serve and taking the ball on the rise.

Clintspin
11-02-2009, 05:03 AM
As a 5.5 teaching pro you can probably figure this one out on your own. When you play matches which serve gives more of your opponents trouble? I think spin trumps pace. When a server can make that serve hang a quick right or left turn, depending on if you are right or left handed, I have trouble picking it up-especially if they keep changing the pace and spin to keep me out of time.

jrod
11-02-2009, 05:11 AM
As a 5.5 teaching pro you can probably figure this one out on your own. When you play matches which serve gives more of your opponents trouble? I think spin trumps pace. When a server can make that serve hang a quick right or left turn, depending on if you are right or left handed, I have trouble picking it up-especially if they keep changing the pace and spin to keep me out of time.

I agree. The disadvantage of pace is the ball's flight is somwhat predictable. Good spin and movement introduce an additional element of uncertainty which can be harder to deal with. In my case, I'd prefer to deal with pace any day over a nasty kick or twist...

larry10s
11-02-2009, 07:20 AM

the best opinion is to try both and see which one gives your opponent the most trouble on any given day. i would think the high kick forcing a higher contact point would be tougher unless the pace makes it more manageable to take on the rise. the one with more pace takes away reaction time so i stlill think it depends on the opponent. also mixing them up makes you like cliff lee and pedro martinez