PDA

View Full Version : Critique My Groundstrokes Video

Shikamaru23
11-01-2009, 11:39 PM
after 1:45 I mess around with my two-handed forehand. I was considering switching, but I probably won't, cuz theres nothing I really gain from it besides amusement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xepQIvUeTuc

Solat
11-02-2009, 02:13 AM
your FH has a strange hitch in it, you drop it very awkwardly, almost with a slightly open face and unusual wrist position. This will bring nothing but trouble in the long run either injury wise or it will become a limiting factor against better players.
Interestingly enough your 2HFH stops it from happening so it actually looks better technically. Perhaps try to hold your left hand on for as long as possible before dropping off and swinging with the one arm? Or if you are agile enough consider sticking with the 2HFH.

Backhand preparation is too late, you change grip and the racquet stays aside your body rather then extending your arms back to get the racquet behind the ball. Once again this will become a limiting factor ewhen you play players who start hitting faster and heavier.

topher.juan
11-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Your take-back is really cramped... make the motion larger and pull the racquet back further... prepare earlier.

spacediver
11-02-2009, 08:09 AM
i'm no expert, but it seems that one of your strengths is the ability to move in such a way that you are not cramped or overstreched for your strokes (although your forehand dynamic appears inherently cramped)

Sublime
11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
I noticed two problems and they may be connected.

First, you don't take the racket back enough. When someone says, "That guy / gal has a huge back swing" or "Agassi had a small back swing", they're either talking about the height of the loop or the degree of shoulder rotation. However, big or small, you've to take the racket far enough away from your body to set your hitting arm position (double bend or straight).

Second, you're not initiating your swing with your hips and shoulders. You are, like is said many times here, "arming the ball". Look at your hip and shoulder rotation and see how much they lag your behind your arm.

Finally, the reason I think they're linked. Think of your arm as a piece of string and the racket like a weight tied to the end. If the string has slack in it, when you pull the other end, the weight isn't going to move. You'll just be pulling the slack out of the string. On the other hand if the string is stretched out and you pull the other end, the weight will move.

Same thing happens on the forehand. If you don't get your arm stretched out and set in your back swing, starting your stroke with your hips and shoulders won't do anything but take the slack out. So I think because you don't set your arm in the backswing, you've never felt the power of the kinetic chain in action.

agalloch
11-02-2009, 09:36 AM
you need more hip, trunk , and shoulder rotation

Dedans Penthouse
11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
after 1:45 I mess around with my two-handed forehand. I was considering switching, but I probably won't, cuz theres nothing I really gain from it besides amusement.
Your 2h-bh is pretty compact and fairly clean; one thing to incorporate is rotating your shoulders. Note on your 2h-bh backswing that your right shoulder isn't under your chin and that when you are following through, your left shoulder does not rotate around under your chin either. Same "arming" need for rotation on the forehand as well. Don't be so 'flicky' on the forehand; drive THROUGH the ball more.

Legs: too straight up. Drop a little lower and "load up" on the back foot prior to exploding forward into the ball.

good luck

NickH87
11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Look the ball in on your forehands...it seems like you arent looking at the contact point, but rather straight ahead to your opponent or where you are hitting it.

jigar
11-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Where is the knee bend? You are hitting all your stokes without any knee bend.

Shikamaru23
11-02-2009, 03:30 PM
hmm thanks for the advice guys.

I'm still healing my knee which might be why I wasn't bending my knees too much. other than that, from what I understand I need to prepare earlier, take the racketback further, and rotate my shoulder and trunk and hip more.?

I'll put up another video when I can. Thanks